PDA

View Full Version : Why Orcs and Goblins?

lordmetroid
23-08-2010, 21:43
For 40k I am utterly attracted to Orkz, all the fluff of the 40k Orkz appeals to my, they make great machinery, are hybrid psychic fungi and so on, you know the fluff of 40k Orkz I hope.

I am about to start playing Warhammer Fantasy as well now and I have looked at the armybook. The Orcs and Goblins doesn't seem to have anything at all in common with the Orkz. Units seems bland, the technology seems very uninteresting and so on. So I am wondering what do you find appealing with the Orcs and Goblins?

Although I find the Orcs in fantasy boring and bland compared to the Orkz in 40k. However. as I read the fluff it turned out I fell in love with the crazed shrrom addict's the Night Goblins. I love their minimal leadership even though it will cost my dearly on the battlefield. I love all the randomness of the squigs and fanatics and so on, I even love the idea of animosity to further derail the already very unpredictable army. Never really knowing what will happen even in ones own turn and half the army of ones own runs in panic as the fanatics plow through ones own units or from the very sight of the opponent. I love the idea of fielding 250 to 300 models in a 2500 point game.

xalfej
23-08-2010, 22:07
The OnG book before the current had a but more character I think.. that's when I started playing them... I may be alone in this but I liked the fluff of leaving giant fecal mounds in the shape of gork and mork in towns as they went through them on a big WAAAGH! The army rules have never been as comical as the 40k version.. in fantasy they are seen more as a threat, the 40k fluff they are treated more as a comic relief soccer hooligan army. Although they are competitive now.

~xalfej

zachattack46
23-08-2010, 22:13
Well I'm new to warhammer but what initially drew me into an O&G army was the brutality and dark humor of orcs. After buying bfsp and painting and playing the night goblins in a few battles they began to grow on me as well. but overall I think I just like the randomness in the army seeing every other army is out to destroy/conquer the world O&G are just out to have fun.......by killing and looting of course.

Malorian
23-08-2010, 22:16
I started with orks in 40k as well and loved the nutjobs they are.

In fantasy I went with orcs first of all to prove to people that you can win with them, but then fell in love with the whole horde and animosity aspect.

There is something to be gained from not knowing from turn to turn if a unit will rush forward and charge or stand around yelling at each other, and what that is is the sense that you can relax and enjoy the game since no matter how much tactical influence you put into the game you are still at the mercy of the crazy orcs :)

ClockworkCorsair
23-08-2010, 22:31
Technology has a part to play. Cobbled together guns that function some of the time are mainstay of 40k orks but thats the common type of technology for fantasy. If you take that and drop it down a degree you have basically hand held explosives that blow whenever you look at them (which probably explains where those few orcs that thought that gun powder could be fun went)
They are a bit closer to the fantasy orcs of normal lore but no less fun.

Gork and Mork play a much larger role in the society as do goblins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JglnSrfJtyQ The orc part in this I think is a good example of their character.

Leogun_91
23-08-2010, 23:30
I like the orcs and goblins. I like the symbiosis of the two species. I like the schoolyard mentality. The only thing I'm not too found of is the blackorcs but even they start to grow on me.

Ibid
24-08-2010, 03:34
I too am drawn to the night goblins. Mushroom abuse and trying out the new horde rules.... Will probably be cheesy and use a Common Goblin general.

Fun times it will be.

~PrometheuS~
24-08-2010, 04:49
Theres about 40000 years difference

Pacorko
24-08-2010, 05:13
Simple...

Cuz we rawkz!

Orks and Orcs, those were my first armies way back in the late 80s, and even when I've sold a few of them, I've always returned for another run at painting a lot of green skin tones.

The past O&G book wasn't perfect, but had great fluff on it. This one is now pretty cool if a bit sparse with nifty fluff, with the new edition.

O&G as an army are for people who do not mind the odds, like to get "elbow deep and in the thick of it" and who, above all, can take bad dice results with a laugh (or at least a smile), and improvise with what they have for that round.

That equals to people who like to have fun and don't mind their army seemingly working against them at times.... the gits!

You won't have flashy spells with eye-widening names, but that does not mean you don't get jawdropping destructive effects.

Your troops are neither the fastest nor most skilled, most disciplined, bravest or strongest, but they have a tendency to stick around once you get them into close combat, and it is then that they can deal a lot of pain.

For most of the past edition, I was merrily in the "pure night gobbo" camp having lots of fun and looking at the Orcs with a smirk. Now, I am still fielding all gobbo armies, but I too mix both greenskin races with great synergy and nice results [so far].

So, why choose Orcs & Goblins as your army? Simple, they are unpredictable yet strong enough to score a few good victories, there is a wide variety of troops and models available, an army is relatively fast and easy to paint, and it's incredibly fun to play with them.

P.S.: As can be seen by my avatar and nick, I might be a tad biased... so, sue me! :p

Billy
24-08-2010, 05:17
WOW!! Loving animosity?!?! Wait till you play with it. You are one sick puppy my friend.

Gekiganger
24-08-2010, 06:14
The army rules have never been as comical as the 40k version.. in fantasy they are seen more as a threat, the 40k fluff they are treated more as a comic relief soccer hooligan army. Although they are competitive now.

~xalfej

Can't say I agree there. The old rules were full of fun with doomdivers, squig hoppers and squig herds getting loose, random wizard explosions and goblins shooting your units in the back. Likewise, O&G have only recently became so 'grimdark', prior to that they were certainly nasty when they got a big waagh! together, but were a lot more comical than they are nowadays, I certainly found them more comical than 40ks 'there are orks everywhere, including outside the galaxy, you can't win' apocalyptic background.

Rogzor87
24-08-2010, 06:46
My bestfriend started Night Goblins because she liked how the goblins looked in Warhammer Online. She then enjoyed how they can be completely unpredictable with Animosity, and enjoys Fanatics immensly with how unreliable they can be. After looking at all her goblins, helping her assemble/paint and purchase. I myself decided to make an almost ALL goblin calvary army(Its almost done) and i enjoy assembling and painting it greatly so far.

Crovax20
24-08-2010, 07:32
I started out warhammer with an Orcs & Goblins army, but never really got to playing it. I don't know but as I was just starting with the game I found them to be too unreliable and I didn't know how to use them properly. So I then proceeded to collect Empire, which is a very nice beginner army as it has a bit of everything and its pretty clear what everything can do.

Now I have turned back to my O & G roots. Well mostly goblins as I have a 2k force existing mostly out of night goblins with some normal goblins on wolves, spiders and warmachines added in. I have sold all the orcs. I just love the little green guys as they bog units down and with the new 8th edition rule they have become a lot more steadfast on the battlefield. I don't field them without a bsb and a lord anymore, its such a huge impovement rerollable leadership 7 at the core of my army!

Orcboy_Phil
24-08-2010, 07:50
You like 40k Orks, then my lad, you need Skaven.

Seriously skaven, all the wacky tech and explody goodness (you or the enemy it dosn't matter) in fantasy comes from them.