PDA

View Full Version : Amping Ward saves -v- Magic

Inevitable
24-08-2010, 00:19
Thank you for responses

Ramius4
24-08-2010, 00:24
Miscasts are not spells. MR does not apply.

banner of Grungi only works against spells defined as 'magic missiles', so only against magic missiles would you recieve the 2+ ward, otherwise 5+.

Ramius4
24-08-2010, 00:28
They're not. They're a side effect of a spell in much the same way as the Lore Attributes are not spells. It doesn't have to say they're not spells. You don't cast them.

Ramius4
24-08-2010, 00:39
Ok, so then the best a dark elf opponent could do would be 5+ ward save vs miscasts, but 2+ (assuming MR 3) against all other direct damage spells?

That seems fairly potent defense.

A lot of armies can get good ward saves vs. magic now that MR, 1, 2 and 3 are all available as common magic items. It's good for certain, but any opponent who tries a single spell against them just won't try another. They'll avoid casting at the one with the great ward.

Cauldron uses 5+ ward save on 10 Pack Knights w/ Mounted Dreadlord. or on a 20 pack of Blackguard with Master & Hidden Assassin. The character brings MR3 (nullx3).

Again, that's not all that uncommon of a thing nowadays.

Would the Cauldron grant a 3+ ward save vs Damage Magic as well? It grants 4+ ward save to its attendants and its MR 1.

Correct.

I apologize for reiterating questions that might seem mundane but I'd rather but absolute before the tournament.

Don't sweat it, that's what this forum is for.

And by the way... The Dark Elves can get more than one unit with MR (3). Null Stones and the common item. Hell, they can even get 4 or 5 null stones on a single character if they wanted to. No need for the Cauldron to add anything then.

Ramius4
24-08-2010, 00:48
Thank you. I think I'm clear on Ward saves and Magic now. My only question that remains is if you could still take a ward save vs Miscasts (Regular Ward save)

Regular ward saves against miscast damage, yes. MR no.

stripsteak
24-08-2010, 05:53
Where does it state that Miscasts are not spells? I'm trying to learn specific rules for scenario's I've encountered. We were not able to find any rule governing Ward Save + MR -v- miscasts at our LGS.

it's mentioned in the latest FAQ.

Chris_
24-08-2010, 06:36
Don't sweat it, that's what this forum is for.

And by the way... The Dark Elves can get more than one unit with MR (3). Null Stones and the common item. Hell, they can even get 4 or 5 null stones on a single character if they wanted to. No need for the Cauldron to add anything then.No, there is no such thing as MR4 or 5 so 4-5 null stones would have no extra effect.

Tykinkuula
24-08-2010, 09:39
No, there is no such thing as MR4 or 5 so 4-5 null stones would have no extra effect.

Exactly. Except, of course, not suffering for having one or two destroyed.

T10
24-08-2010, 21:00
No, there is no such thing as MR4 or 5 so 4-5 null stones would have no extra effect.

I am sure Leon Leoncour would disagree with that. He get Magic Resistance equal to the number of dice used to cast the spell. In fact, MR (4) is an explicitly stated example.

The MR rule doesn't so much say that it is capped at 3, it only mentions 1-3 as being the range. An obvious fallacy when taking into account the predominant paragon of puissant purity; King Leon.

-T10

Casshole
24-08-2010, 21:06
+10 points for alliteration.