PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft themed elf army

Triple7s
24-08-2010, 00:31
Right, so after browsing the Warcraft Wiki and having been hooked on The Frozen Throne a while back, i've decided to build an army themed around the Blood Elves. In Warcraft fluff, the Blood Elves were once High Elves who renamed themselves in honour of their kin who were killed in a siege on the High Elf city. I want to go a little different for WHFB though, and take them more in the direction towards them teetering on the edge of total worship of Khaine, hence the name.

However, the challenge is the miniatures. I want to bring a lot of Wood Elf style to it, but keep some of the High Elf stuff. Archers will be using Glade Guard models, Spearmen will be converted Glade Guard, Reavers will be either converted or unconverted Glade Riders etc. The problem is, for some stuff ie. Dragon Princes/Mages, there will probably have to be HE models.

Do you guys reckon the HE and WE range would sit ok together? I know the knights are meant to be the big hard hitter guys but i don't want them to look out of place. So what do you guys reckon, good idea? Bad? Don't even think about it?

shredshredxx
24-08-2010, 02:13
first of all,

heresy.

but, if it's what you want to do, it's your army, have fun with it. i think certain wood elf models would fit the theme. glade guard wouldn't look too out of place, for instance, with the right color scheme. but i'd stay away from the models with foliage and that sort of thing on them. waywatchers, for instance.

good luck!

Zaustus
24-08-2010, 03:58
I think it's a cool idea, though I'm not sure what to do for the knight models. I think they should look like Blood Elf Paladins, but none of the models really look like that. The Dragon Prince horses and bodies would work (with a little conversion to the horse heads), but Warhammer helms tend to be way too pointy to work for a Warcraft theme. I suppose you could just use bare heads; lots of people in WoW just turn their helm graphics off anyway.

Honestly, I don't think GG/GR work as Blood Elves. They'd be fine except they're way too leafy and naturalistic... that's much more Night Elfish. The Blood Elves have a very ornate style that's really more like High Elves, but at the same time different. Less robes, more filigree, if that makes sense. More crystals than gems, too.

Sorry to be of so little help, but I don't see anything in the GW range that works. Eldar are actually the closest GW models I see.

Triple7s
24-08-2010, 04:04
^ ts ok man, all comments are appreciated. I'm in full agreement about the GG being more Night Elfish, so I might readjust the idea to do a night elf themed army. The Dragon Princes are the main one i'm wondering about fitting into the theme. The rest of the stuff should fit in ok with some conversions - a more "tribal" looking Archmage on a dragon for example, just the armour of the current DPs looks like it might clash too much. Always the new ones to wait for though I guess.

Pacorko
24-08-2010, 04:54
Maybe you could use the new plastic Dark Elf Corsairs and the Cold One riders to add to the mix and have a more "fine-tuned" look to your Blood elves?

naerobi
24-08-2010, 07:02
Just as long as after your "Blood Elf" Mage dies you have a special rule that allows you to bring him back into the game after you scream "TEMPEST KEEP WAS MERELY A SETBACK!" =P

TheMaster
24-08-2010, 11:28
The sunwell was mearly a setback aswell.......

Triple7s
24-08-2010, 17:23
Pacorko, thats quite a nice idea actually. I love the Cold One plastics and the knights have an air about them that strikes me as distinctly more elfish than the heavy armour of Dragon Princes. Some bare heads on them would be very nice I reckon.

Heres my biggest problem with the other two elf races - I've never been a huge fan of HE, they strike me as too goody two shoes. And i'd do a WE army, but i'd like to actually have a shot at winning a game here and there.

Darwin_green
24-08-2010, 19:11
why bring in woodelves into the mix, weren't the Night elves a completely different faction in warcraft 3.

http://www.artemisblacks.com/maidenhead/images/terrorbirds/MMTB4%20-%20Standard%201b.jpg

if you want some hawk striders for any reason in your force, Colour miniatures made some cool terror birds. Their necks are a bit long, but a little conversion work can fix that.
http://www.artemisblacks.com/maidenhead/terrorbirds.shtml

elvinltl
26-08-2010, 07:37
first of all,

heresy.

I think Blizzard did a vastly much better job with their Games despite the fact they took "inspiration" from GWS.

CrystalSphere
26-08-2010, 14:06
I think Blizzard did a vastly much better job with their Games despite the fact they took "inspiration" from GWS.

I didn´t know Blizzard was doing tabletop wargames these days, the things you learn on the internet. :shifty:

Zaustus
26-08-2010, 15:17
You didn't? This has existed for some time: http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/wowminis/en/

SiNNiX
26-08-2010, 15:29
Haha, of course they made a tabletop game. They're trying to control the world! First they make zombies out of everyone (which they basically already have), then they make BS products for people to waste their money on. A girl at my work, for example, just dropped over $200 on an "authentic map" of the Warcraft world and is dropping another $100+ on the CE Cataclysm when it comes out... such a waste.

Anyway, I'm gonna go drop $300 on some WOC real quick. BRB!

naerobi
26-08-2010, 18:20
Anyway, I'm gonna go drop $300 on some WOC real quick. BRB!

THIS!

And lets be fair, if Blizzard stole from Games Workshop, (amongst others) then Games Workshop stole from DnD, who stole from Tolkien, who stole from... etc etc!

Urgat
26-08-2010, 18:26
And GW stole from blizzard too, where'd you think those tyranid raveners come from? :p

Mike3791
26-08-2010, 18:30
I think the WHFB High Elf army best represents the Blood Elves, and the Wood Elves best represent the Night Elves.

Pacorko
26-08-2010, 18:32
Erm... Gw didn't steal from DnD... they "borrowed" [lifted, more like it] from Michael Moorcock's various novels. Especially from the Elric of Melniboné's cycle.

Then D&D lifted more from Howard and the Swords & Sorcery pulp pastiches than from Tolkien [his state wasn't licensing anything at the time]. Finally Blizzard had a cool idea based on the GW property... yet, GW management didn't like it and loss the opportunity to be flooded with money.

Life's weird, some times. :rolleyes:

Monodominant
26-08-2010, 18:43
i also went with a blood elf flavour...

for me though that mainly means golden/bronze armor instead of the silver/mithril ones and red colous (orange and yellow here and there) instead of the usual blue white green...

but i actually think I may add some wood elf with cloaks for some units and some dark elf characters for the style...

dragon princes with gold, bronze and red do look like paladins by the way although i went with custom princes made from main silver helm bodies but prince/noble heads, cloaks, weapons from bitz i got from bitzbox... they have a full tutorial of how to make cheap dragon princes although i suppose soon we will have our plastic princes...

furthermore to make the imagery of blood stronget i used snow flock and let blood red and red gore drops fall on the bases to give the image of spilt blood.

DisasterMaster
26-08-2010, 21:59
Make sure your general is a lvl4 mage with lore of fire, or high magic and only cast flames of the pheonix. And make sure to claim he levels up after killing things, getting stat bonuses.

wizbix
27-08-2010, 03:15
To have a truely World of Warcraft themed army you must mount your figures on springs. All I rememebr about the game is all the annoying little runts that jumped all over the place for no particular reason except to just be annoying.

Jorelth
08-09-2010, 02:08
Just as long as after your "Blood Elf" Mage dies you have a special rule that allows you to bring him back into the game after you scream "TEMPEST KEEP WAS MERELY A SETBACK!" =P

:D I just laughed really, really loudly.