PDA

View Full Version : Are Bretonnians Still Cheesy?

Dalton
24-08-2010, 05:22
I am thinking of doing a Bretonnian army and I was wondering if everyone still thought they were too cheesy to play?

Damocles8
24-08-2010, 05:25
compared to what? a 30 man chaos warrior unit with mark of tzeench, supported by a level 2 and a level 3 tzeench sorcerer and two War Shrines with Mark of Tzeench, all in 1500 pts?

Luthor
24-08-2010, 05:27
I think you mean a unit of 40 Chaos Marauders with MoK and Great Weapons, all for under 200 pts.

Brettonnians are probably the second worst army now, so I don't think they are considered overpowered. They really suffer for their reliance on cavalry.

ftayl5
24-08-2010, 05:42
Brettonians were never cheesy. Especially when you consider some of the other books, even the ones that aren't cheesy. Brettonians aren't cheesy.

If you think that they used to be, well now that they'll be striking simultaneously or after alot of stuff, they still have to take a General and a BSB before they can even start to think about a Damsel. The fact that many things they charge will essentially be stubborn against them pretty much destroys the way they used to be played (charge - break - charge someone else - break them etc etc etc)

Infantry are now more essential to them wining which means the bulk of teh army (the knights) will have to slow down.

Cannons pretty much always hit now and will tear through lance formations like never before.

The list of why Bretonnians aren't and never were cheesy is quite endless

Halelel
24-08-2010, 05:49
Brets were never "cheesy" per se, just people complained of the simplistic point-and-click use of the Brets cavalry previously.

Thankfully, that method of playing is pretty much dead, which I think is good for Brets in the future as there next army book should do some quite interesting stuff with cavalry.

R Man
24-08-2010, 06:04
Well Brets didn't turn out as badly as they could have. Damsels can now cast from the second rank and Magic Resistance Stacks with the Blessing if I'm not mistaken. And with 2 ranks of knights attacking if we get stuck, we can still throw out a little more damage than we otherwise would. And archers and M@A got a whole lot better, more resistance to terror bombing, and the ability to use a Knights LD on Steadfast makes them pretty good at holding. But still, the tide was not in their favour for 8th. All knight armies are gone, but the Brets should do fine if some peasants are there for support. Besides the Bret book is just around the corner (or it should be) so they won't have to wait long.

Oglog
24-08-2010, 08:45
we are also one of the only armies with heroic killing blow and we can give a lord 7 heroic killing blow attacks and have him flying around for and extra 50 points. Also, trebuchets are probably the best war machines in the game, strength 5(10) for 90 points, yes please. Our knights are about the only knights who can efficiently go into combat with the +3rank bonus and can break steadfast on smaller (but still ranked up) infantry units. We are definatley not top tier but not bottom either.

RanaldLoec
24-08-2010, 09:42
I think the current biggest draw back for brets is the unit cap. None of the knight units can number over 15. I mean a horde if knights errant would be pretty cool.

Kayosiv
24-08-2010, 10:15
I've played against Bretonnia 4 times against 3 different opponents with both Lizardmen 6th, 7th, and Vampires 7th. I saw everything from pure knights, pure peasants with wizard spam, to a nice mix.

They were never cheesy. They remain so. triple trebuchets hurt though.

Vashta
24-08-2010, 10:18
The RAF army was quite cheesy.

Lord of the End Times
24-08-2010, 10:21
In a word, no. General consensus (with which I agree) says that bretonnians are weak at present. They are still eminently playable, but a win requires some measure of skill and luck and is far from guaranteed.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
24-08-2010, 10:36
They look good, have heroic characters and are fun on the field.

The cheesiness depends on whether you wash your hands when fiddling with your models :cheese:

Haravikk
24-08-2010, 10:41
Even with the changes to 8th edition I'm still toying with the idea of eventually starting an all-mounted Bretonnian army with a damsel or two and maybe a trebuchet for support. It does however present some huge tactical challenges to pull any wins with it, as you pretty much need to get two or more flank or rear charges on a single infantry block to stand any chance of beating it, but if that takes more than one or two rounds you run the risk of enemy support units getting flank or rear charges on you as well.
A single unit of knights can do very little on its own except pick off smaller/vulnerable units.

I suppose if you want to be an absolute scumbag you could just run around with the knights mowing down such small vulnerable units and running away from larger ones, bagging yourself the 100+ Victory Point difference to win, but that'd get old fast and isn't too hard to counter.

I dunno, I think that with a good mix Bretonnians are still reasonably competitive, as Men at Arms can hold their own and the Bretonnian knights deliver some of the best cavalry charges in 8th edition. But playing without that ideal mix of cavalry and infantry is going to leave you struggling.