PDA

View Full Version : Moving Chargers

greenmonsta
24-08-2010, 06:33
I have a question involving the moving of chargers into cc. On page 20 of the BRB under the first paragraph it says that "A charging unit can move an unlimited amount - it's already been found to be within charge range, so we don't worry about distance from this point on." This confuses me. Does this mean that if I have rolled high enough to contact the opponent that I will receive free extra mvnt to be able to rank up with the opponent and maximize the amount of models in cc? Please let me know of your interpretations. Thx. :)

knightime98
24-08-2010, 07:40
Don't read into this too much.

Quite simply move the unit so that both units engaging maximize models for combat.
That's really the intent of this (imo).

Paraelix
24-08-2010, 07:53
Yes. So if a unit is in arch of sight but requires a 20" wheel due to your obscene frontage, and the physical gap between the units is only 7"... So long as you roll+M = 7 or more, you make the charge and move into contact. Makes those 10-wide units a little more feasible.

greenmonsta
24-08-2010, 16:44
Thanks for the help guys.

xxRavenxx
24-08-2010, 16:57
Do note, however, that if you're squeezing through a gap, you may be forced to not maximise frontage. Its tricky to explain, but the infinate movement doesnt allow you to allign yourself.

You get a single wheel, then another "close the gap" wheel when you contact the unit. No shuffling.

T10
24-08-2010, 19:34
Does this mean that if I have rolled high enough to contact the opponent that I will receive free extra mvnt to be able to rank up with the opponent and maximize the amount of models in cc?

Yes.

If you are familiar with previous versions you may recall that working out the precise charge move while moving the actual models was a bit tricky. This was particularly true for long charges with big wheel that were close to the very limit of the unit's charge range.

In 8th ed. we can disregard working out detailed charge moves simply because the target unit has been established to be within range (or not) well before any models need be moved at all.

In order to complete the charge you still need to be able to reach the target unit while adhering to the charge move restrictions. These mostly come into play when dealing with units or other obstacles. If these lie in the direct path between the chargers and the target then you'll need to manoeuvre around them.

And while the charge may still fail because you can't actually move into contact, at least distance isn't important.

-T10