PDA

View Full Version : Valkia viable???????

lector#1
24-08-2010, 11:57
Hey guys is valkia a viable choice or isi it better to go with a normal DoC daemon prince

BrotherNefarius
24-08-2010, 13:51
Valkia is definatly viable, but to use her to the max you have to include in your list warshrines and if possible chosens. Her best ability is definatly the rerolls on the EotG chart.

The only problem is that since she is flying, she can't join units. Yeah she can attack a unit, kill a character (most of them easily on the charge) but then she is stuck vs the unit which has some static combat res, which leaves you at a disadvantage.

SkawtheFalconer
24-08-2010, 14:40
Is it true that fliers can't join units in the new rules?

Urgat
24-08-2010, 15:00
She's probably very nasty alongside Throgg and a handful of troll units :p
Not sure it's very fluffy though >>

lcfr
24-08-2010, 16:00
The only problem is that since she is flying, she can't join units.

Could you throw out a page number to support this? I checked under the Flying special rules, but didn't see anything to this effect.

Malorian
24-08-2010, 16:04
I'd say she's more viable than a deamon prince, but not viable in serious competitive play.

decker_cky
24-08-2010, 16:26
No rule that you can't join flyers. A pegasus can even join units now as long as they aren't units of flyers. :wtf:

BrotherNefarius
24-08-2010, 20:45
oh really, my bad then! She's even better than i thought!

lector#1
25-08-2010, 01:11
Well I was thinking maybe sit her in a unitof horsemen and then she can flank charge out of them and they can hit the front

nightsrage
25-08-2010, 01:49
I love using valkia. I made the model for her below.

http://s628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/nightsrage/

I have made fixed several things about her however I have not taken any more pics as of yet.

Her charge is devastating. Her long range and killing blow add a significant psychological advantage against your opponent. Even if they are immune to Killing blow, who really wants 6, STR 7, Armor Piercing attacks that will be hitting on 3's most of the time(even against other Lords).

I enjoy the gamble she provides. If she charges a Lord on a dragon, odds are she will die in the end. However, there is a enough of a chance that she will de-throne the rider on the charge. In this case, her vs. a dragon is entertaining.

Always use her offensive ability like a scalpel.

Gaargod
25-08-2010, 01:51
Um, no????????

Sorry, dislike people putting loads of exclamation/question marks in a title. Its unnecessary and looks bad. "Is Valkia Viable?" Is a perfectly decent opener.

Anyways. For a start, you can't have a character charge out of a unit AND that unit then charge. Secondly, why would you waste her in horsemen? They're extremely killy and she doesn't even get a LoS. Best choice if you want her in a block is warriors / (big unit of) marauders.

Basically, ask yourself the question - "Is she doing anything i couldn't build my heroes to do for the points?" Usually the answer is no, but her saving grace is her reroll on EotG. To make use of it, you really need to use lots of warshrines + chosen (not very effective), or take her in a throgg army.

With Throgg, she becomes pretty decent. Although she doesn't work like a true BSB (reroll all tests now), having double general+BSB with Throgg is very powerful for keeping your trolls in line. Adding a hero carting an actual BSB even more so (although probably a waste). She makes the troll's mutant regeneration really good AND she fufills a useful role in the army by providing very fast hitty power where needed.

Citadel97501
25-08-2010, 02:03
I could see her and a couple War Shrines being great in 3K, might even see play at Hard Boys. . . I just wish there was a model, I would probably already own her. . .

lector#1
25-08-2010, 09:29
Hey nightsrage where did the head and wings come from
and does she get a ward save

eyescrossed
25-08-2010, 09:54
and does she get a ward save

Read her rules, perhaps?

lector#1
25-08-2010, 10:12
Don't have the book at the moment

eyescrossed
25-08-2010, 10:31
Well nope, she doesn't have one - she can get it from the Eye of the Gods, though.

nightsrage
25-08-2010, 14:03
Head is the Masque
Wings are ordered by themselves from Heresy Miniatures.

The best things about Valkia's defense is the -1 to STR from all attacks. This translates into many different facets.
- Math wise it makes her a T6 Lord.
- Armor wise she is a +2. however with the minus of all STR math wise she is a +1 armor save.
- This -1 STR from all attacks works against shooting and magic.

What adds balance is that she has no ward save/regen save and she can die from Killing Blow. In addition she is 410 points with no mount. Most opponents that can take her out will have a mount.

lcfr
25-08-2010, 23:30
Basically, ask yourself the question - "Is she doing anything i couldn't build my heroes to do for the points?" Usually the answer is no, but her saving grace is her reroll on EotG. To make use of it, you really need to use lots of warshrines + chosen (not very effective), or take her in a throgg army.

She's not exactly a no-brainer, but she effectively has a built-in BSB ability - consider WoC are already re-rolling all Panic tests anyways, having a character who 'just' brings re-rolls for Break tests still saves one the hassle of running an Exalted just for that reason.

For 410pts you get the better part of a BSB, Fly, EotG re-rolls, and a lot of pain....100pts more than a tooled up Chaos Lord is really what should have you thinking twice, but otherwise I think she's a great character.