PDA

View Full Version : Aenarion cd...

wamphyri101
24-08-2010, 12:42
So, I finished listening to Aenarion last and I have to admit it was…TERRIBLE

I mean it was bad. I am a fan of Black Library and have enjoyed some of the pervious CDs despite the cheese factor but this was taking the biscuit.

1: The person reading it (Beth Chalmers) over excaudate every line.

2: The sound effects are truly dreadful.

3: The voice of Aenarion is just too…wrong. He is light spoken and just makes Aenarion sound like a complete wuss. Aenarion is supposed to be the greatest elf that ever lived…

4: The story doesn’t shed any new light like the time of legends books usually do. It basically covers His last battle to the point he draws the sword of Khaine.

5: Some of the sentences are aweful. “Into there heart like a knife” constantly springs to mind.

All in all…for £10 and a cd based on Aenarion…I expected A LOT more.

RobC
31-08-2010, 08:41
3: The voice of Aenarion is just too…wrong. He is light spoken and just makes Aenarion sound like a complete wuss. Aenarion is supposed to be the greatest elf that ever lived… He was still an elf. Too cliche gruff and he'd be mistaken for a dwarf.

Col. Tartleton
03-09-2010, 03:44
At the end of the day he's just a cheap knockoff of Finwe (The King of Noldor) and Anarion (Isildur's older brother.)

JRR Tolkien: "No matter how cool your story idea is, my version was better, and was written a good fifty years before you were born."

BobtheInquisitor
03-09-2010, 05:34
I think he's a vast improvement over his inspiration, but then I find Tolkein to be horribly overrated as a writer.

Imp of High Noon
18-09-2010, 22:12
I find Tolkein to be horribly overrated as a writer.

That is a ridiculous and ill informed statement. Truly.

BobtheInquisitor
19-09-2010, 02:11
That is a ridiculous and ill informed statement. Truly.

I would say it's pretty well informed. I've read the Hobbit, LOTR and the Silmarillion, as well as parts of the Lost Tales (II). Keep in mind I didn't say he was a terrible author, just overrated. He was great at world-building and mythology, but other than that...

His prose is turgid and purple. His characters are completely flat, worse than any comic book characters I can name, and his plotting is pretty weak. He spends more time describing flowers than describing the monster that kills Gandalf. He ends the battle of Gondor/Pellenor fields with a deus ex machina, and the same thing with the Hobbit, as well as the Chekov's Gun-unfriendly archer dude who kills Smaug. His views on race and ancestry are disturbing, and his view of morality is just plain simple.

PS: Just the name "Tom Bombadil" is the I-Win button of bad writing.

PPS: I really just want to know more about the Aenarion CD, though, so maybe we can try to keep this on topic.

Shadow_Steed
09-11-2010, 16:16
Hmm, anyone else bought the Aenarion cd?

Worth it or not?

Xisor
09-11-2010, 18:51
To chime in, I've not read it either. But, to riposte Col. Tartleton, I must insist a glove-slap, sir! GW's Dwarfs (specific examples: Steel and Stone 1st Ed WHFRP & 6th Ed Dwarf Army Book) are infinitely more intriguing, characterful and visually unified than Tolkien's.

Which is to say, I thoroughly appreciate the awesomeness of Gimli in Lord of the Rings (from my view, he's easily the most intriguingly, hesitatingly unveiled character in the books) and the fact that Tolkien's precursor role (as well as, surely, a large portion of the D&D stuff, I expect) underpin almost everything produced by GW, I can't support the idea that modern GW dwarfs are somehow worse/more-poorly-developed than Tolkien's dwarves.

To seal the deal: Grudgelore. Sheer delight, and written by Gav Thorpe.

I've enjoyed Gav's ToL stuff greatly, so far, so I'm keen to get my ears on Aenarion, yet (though tentative), I can't exactly refute the OP's points. Some concern? Perhaps. Curious? Oh yes. I'll have to wait and listen!

sulla
13-11-2010, 20:40
That is a ridiculous and ill informed statement. Truly.A bizarre statement. You refute an opinion by saying it is ill informed but offer no evidence.

Back on topic, I have the CD. It is average at best, covering (as explained above) the least interesting part of Anerion's myth. The language used was a little cringeworthy too, often using overblown phrases when something far simpler would have sufficed. It didn't have enough depth of story to engage an adult listener but the language was a little too complex to involve younger listeners. I guess you could say it was a bit muddled in what audience it was aiming at.

I won't comment on the quality of voice acting or sound effects as I haven't listened to any other audiobooks, but it's cheap enough to speculate on for anybody interested.

I'd probably give it about a 4-5/10 as far as BL products go. Underwhelming and lacking in depth, but not actually bad or contra to established backstory like some of their products are.

Malakai
16-11-2010, 09:59
Well I kinda got suckered into buying the CD. I wanted the sundering trilogy of books so I bought the first one from the Warstore because that's the only one they had (gotta love a discount). The other two I ordered through GW. As my order for the first novel was already placed I couldn't back out when I was told on the phone and not in the product description on the website that Aenarion was an audio book. I hate audio books and it seemed ridiculous to me that they would publish two of the series as a book and one as audio only.

I haven't read/listened to any of them yet so I have no basis to critique them on. I'm still just a little miffed that I actually BOUGHT A FREAKING AUDIO BOOK! :mad:

Sorry..did I mention I hate audio books? :shifty:

BobtheInquisitor
16-11-2010, 22:35
Well I kinda got suckered into buying the CD. I wanted the sundering trilogy of books so I bought the first one from the Warstore because that's the only one they had (gotta love a discount). The other two I ordered through GW. As my order for the first novel was already placed I couldn't back out when I was told on the phone and not in the product description on the website that Aenarion was an audio book. I hate audio books and it seemed ridiculous to me that they would publish two of the series as a book and one as audio only.

I haven't read/listened to any of them yet so I have no basis to critique them on. I'm still just a little miffed that I actually BOUGHT A FREAKING AUDIO BOOK! :mad:

Aenarion is not part of the Sundering. At all.

It happens a generation before the Sundering starts, more or less. Also, Gav Thorpe has been pretty clear that it is not a crucial part of the trilogy, and even the BL site is pretty straight-forward about it. That's why they list Shadow King as book two and Caledor as book three.

I'm sorry for your costly misunderstanding, but please let me know how you like the audio "drama" despite your towering inferno of rage towards it.

narrativium
16-11-2010, 22:50
This is correct, Aenarion isn't one of the trilogy. None of the stories written specifically for audio are essential to the series they may be part of - you don't need Throne of Lies to follow the Night Lords stuff, you don't need Slayer of the Storm God to follow Gotrek & Felix. The third Sundering novel, Caledor has a release date of next May.

Black Library's website is quite clear about the audio nature of the story, but I think you've got a reasonable complaint against Games Workshop's website's lack of information there.

Malakai
17-11-2010, 02:44
Aenarion is not part of the Sundering. At all.

It happens a generation before the Sundering starts, more or less. Also, Gav Thorpe has been pretty clear that it is not a crucial part of the trilogy, and even the BL site is pretty straight-forward about it. That's why they list Shadow King as book two and Caledor as book three.

I'm sorry for your costly misunderstanding, but please let me know how you like the audio "drama" despite your towering inferno of rage towards it.

I see. Well now that I know there is a third book in May I will probably wait to read them when that comes out.

And yes, I never checked the BL site for info on the book I ordered it through the GW site (as I'm in the US) so I was going by the information they provided for it there.

"Towering inferno of rage?" lol, I like that! :p

BobtheInquisitor
17-11-2010, 02:51
The US GW site is ...well, calling it propaganda would be pure flattery. I tend to read the BL site (or Amazon) to learn about the novels and I read Warseer to find out about the models, so I don't really tend to visit GW dot com unless I'm ready to purchase (and can't get the item anywhere cheaper). I just wish the audio "dramas" were available on Amazon.

GavT
17-11-2010, 09:57

Also not essential to the arc of the Sundering, but perhaps of interest...

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Exclusive-Products/Collectors-Editions/The-Bloody-Handed.html

:p

Definitely not audio, but Ithink it does come with a printed version of the Aenarion story if you really can't bring yourself to listen to a CD for seventy minutes.

Gav

BobtheInquisitor
17-11-2010, 15:05
I thought they were already sold out (pre-sold out?), Gav. Are they printing another run?

GavT
17-11-2010, 16:24
I thought they were already sold out (pre-sold out?), Gav. Are they printing another run?

Are they? Wowza. If that's the case, I wouldn't expect any second printing, certainly not in the limited edition format with the nice piccies and everything.

Gav

Shadow_Steed
19-11-2010, 19:21
Is it you Gav Thorpe?

narrativium
20-11-2010, 09:54
GavT is Gav Thorpe. Genuflect now.

Max_Killfactor
03-01-2011, 19:42
This is the first Audio Book I have ever listened to, I received it as a present for Christmas.

Overall, I was a little disappointed. I'm a fan of Gav and of elves and I was just... expecting more. I wanted to hear about Aenarion's battle with the four greater demons, I felt like this was just a prelude to the real story.

It seemed to be over before it started.

I had no issues with the reading or voice acting, but I have no other audiobooks to compare it to. The only interesting part for me was Aenarion's interaction with his dragon.

I'd give it a 4 out of 10, sorry. However, if they made a sequel... I'd be interested.

BobtheInquisitor
04-01-2011, 18:22
Are they? Wowza. If that's the case, I wouldn't expect any second printing, certainly not in the limited edition format with the nice piccies and everything.

Gav

Looks like I heard wrong. That'll teach me to listen to every internet rumor around.

blindingdark
25-01-2011, 21:25
I was really pissed when I heard that Aenarion was going to be an audio book. I loathe them ( possibly at my own loss)

So I was chuffed to bits when I got my copy of the bloody handed with the chapbook. :)

Having now read them both, I must admit I would have been very disapointed had I paid £10 for the CD. It's not a bad story, but compared to the contents of any BL novel it is very, very slim. I had the silly impression that it was actually going to be a book, rather than a short story.

Bloody handed was worth the buy though, even with that shocking £10 postage.

@GavT - God dammit man, use a better pen next time :)

GavT
26-01-2011, 09:30
@GavT - God dammit man, use a better pen next time :)

I did have to change Sharpie halfway through the signing process, sorry if you got one of the latter pre-change autographs :( At least you didn't get one of the ones around the seven hundred mark where my mind was numbing and I almost forgot how to spell my own name...

Gav

Ludaman
02-02-2011, 20:43
Ha that happens to me when signing christmas cards for my 200 students... I forget letters in my last name about 50 in, and those last 50... yikes.

As far as the audio book goes... great but too short. if it were the first of a few, I'd be cool with it, but stopping after he pulls the sword.... arrrgh cliffhanger.

Btw Gav's ToL books are the best of the three branches currently, far and away better reading than either Sigmar or Nagash. Shadow-King was truly a treat, it made me really want to do an alith anar themed high elf force... too bad the alith model looks like he should be playing guitar next to Brett Michaels... if only they could have based it off of the Shadowking cover art...