PDA

View Full Version : Children of the Imperium

Leogun_91
25-08-2010, 13:32
I recently got an idea for an Imperial army, Junior Legions of the Imperial Guard. I'm thinking a Cadian army of 8-15years olds.

This brings up some questions:

1) What models could I use?

2) What units should I stay away from, Psykers are out as they stayfor quite a while on the black ship but what else is out? What should I use much of. I plan on having them as properly trained guardsmen and not just conscripted kids.

ehlijen
25-08-2010, 14:06
Probably no veterans. Penal squads could be ok, as I'd bet there's criminals in all age groups in the Imperium.

Maybe a few ratlings to represent the youngest of the lot?

And I do recomment taking at least some conscripts. I mean you can't take them without regular guardsmen, but there should be a significant number of conscripts as well.

How do you plan to make the models look younger though? The cadian models don't look terribly young after all.

ColShaw
25-08-2010, 14:17
The Necromunda range might have some good options (the "Juves" are young gangers). Especially for Penal squads.

Leogun_91
25-08-2010, 15:55
How do you plan to make the models look younger though? The cadian models don't look terribly young after all.I'm still looking for things to convert. I need smaller looking minatures, then I'll add standard size lasguns and small size armours.

And some conscripts would fit well, the majority should be guardsmen though.

Latro_
25-08-2010, 17:28
heres a kid in the mordheim frenzied mob:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat490061a&prodId=prod1120049

for giggles.

Moriarty
25-08-2010, 17:38
Kids generally have 'normal' sized heads on smaller bodies, so just using 25mm figures might not scan.

Check out em4 miniatures on the web. They have a range of plastic 25mm sci fi figures that might take GW cadian heads.

mrln68
25-08-2010, 18:25
White Shields...there was an article about them a long time ago in White Dwarf...pretty sure that is what they were called. I seem to recall them being updated again for the Eye of Terror Codex too (granted that is older than dirt as well now...but still). I don't remember if they had any modeling guidelines though.

The big issues you will have is making things look right. GW sculpts are already snafued when it comes to proportions (much closer to child-like than adult-like). Finding something that is even more so will make them look like a bunch of chibi running around. If you don't go that direction, all the equipment would look out of whack with the GW stuff...

So, do you still want to go forward and deal with it? Look for 20-25 mm minis. You won't find enough 28 mm children to field a full army, however there are a few companies who work with those scales for wargames - and I think one or two who do sci-fi stuff. GZG have a good sized range, and IIRC their 25 mm would fit the bill nicely (other than equipment issues).

the1stpip
25-08-2010, 19:46
Children do not have adult sized heads. You are correct that childrens head are proportionally larger than adults, but they still grow, albeit at a slower rate.

Necromunda Juves or Mordheim Youngbloods are the only real way to go with GW figs (or possibly SM Scouts, but then they must be from a Forge World or something) but I dont know about other companies.

Leogun_91
25-08-2010, 22:12
So, do you still want to go forward and deal with it? Look for 20-25 mm minis. You won't find enough 28 mm children to field a full army, however there are a few companies who work with those scales for wargames - and I think one or two who do sci-fi stuff. GZG have a good sized range, and IIRC their 25 mm would fit the bill nicely (other than equipment issues).Hmm....the colonial militia looks good, my computer won't show more then the three first ones though, but they look quite alot like children.

mrln68
25-08-2010, 22:27
Yah - those were sort of the ones I was thinking of.

It has been a while since I worked with them - but I think they are true 25 mm high while GW is heroic 28 mm...so the size difference is about right for the two to be adults/children. I seem to remember a PDF catalog on his site someplace...poke around and see if you can find that. Often easier than using the store pages to see what is available.

Probably have the officers/commissars be adults...you know, to keep them in line and teach them what is what.

Leogun_91
26-08-2010, 00:18
Yah - those were sort of the ones I was thinking of.

It has been a while since I worked with them - but I think they are true 25 mm high while GW is heroic 28 mm...so the size difference is about right for the two to be adults/children. I seem to remember a PDF catalog on his site someplace...poke around and see if you can find that. Often easier than using the store pages to see what is available.

Probably have the officers/commissars be adults...you know, to keep them in line and teach them what is what.Yes I was going to have commisars and most officers as adults (but one or two officers I might make kids) and also go heavy on the commisar side.

I did find the PDF catalogue but it wasn't a useful image quality. I'll try it on my Mac later too see if it handels it better, it sometimes does.

Chiron
26-08-2010, 00:21
I'd be concerned this might be in slightly poor taste, people tend to have strong feelings regarding child soldiers and you might find your opponents uncomfortable with it

mrln68
26-08-2010, 00:30
I would tell my opponents to get over themselves... Just because I summon a daemon with my Chaos armies doesn't mean I plan on trying in real life, and that offends people too. The social wackos need to get a grip just as much as the religious wackos.

Went back and took a look for the background info and the Youth Army Platoons were a choice for Eye of Terror Cadian Armies. The minis used look to be regular Cadians with the White shoulder pads to denote that they are Whiteshields.

White Dwarf 111 (http://www.gamehobby.net/subject_indexes/subject_wh40k_imperial_guard.html) has info on the Whiteshields as well.

Reflex
26-08-2010, 04:07
its the imperium, it fits the fluff hehe!

although people might complain rules wise because smaller models mean you can hide them easyer behind terrain. hehe (not me though...)

chromedog
26-08-2010, 07:26
I have a mate who plays modern 25mm.

He was delirious with joy when he found that one of the military model companies (can't recall which one) released "Chechen irregulars" - which included children with AK-47s to scale - a few years back.

He laughed and said that the child looked like him.
(He was a child during the former Yugoslavia breakup and did carry an AK at the time).

Apart from that, he's a total nutbag Hrvatski.

GW don't want child soldiers known of by the outside world in the game - in the same way that "the good guys" (Imperium) can't have "human bombs" anymore.

GhostfaceKillah
26-08-2010, 10:46
I'd be concerned this might be in slightly poor taste, people tend to have strong feelings regarding child soldiers and you might find your opponents uncomfortable with it

They play a game where millions of kids are ether virus bombed, or kidnapped and tortured. Even the marines will cause kids to die as they attempt to do whatever feat is needed to be chosen to join.