PDA

View Full Version : FML Army?

Bakdoi
25-08-2010, 17:17
I am new to Warhammer finding it to be an adjustment to 40k play style. I have started with Beastmen and am enjoying them however as I am starting to look at my second army I am stuck looking for one that is loads of laughs to play. As beastmen have crap at range I would like to find an army has this with magic or shooting but will lead me to those FML moments were I have to just stair and laugh. I have been told Skaven and Orcs are good at this but no one can give me reasons or examples. Anyone?

Brother captain Agrippa
25-08-2010, 17:30
i think its because some of the O&G and skaven stuff have 50-50 percent chance of being godlike or just plain sucky.
such as the skaven warp lightning cannon, it rolls an artillery dice for its strenght, meaning its somewhere between strenght 10 (godlike) or 2 (sucky).
and animosity for orcs, while not as often, it has equal chance of saving you that charge as it has stopping you dead in your tracks, just waiting for the enemy.
just my thoughts

Lupercus
25-08-2010, 17:31
I can speak for greenskins in this regard. In my collection, I have 2 Rock Lobbers and 2 Doom Diver Catapults, and let me tell you, in 8th edition, they're both awesome. In fact, I can include all 4 of those war machines in an army for a mere 310 points, and that's including the Orc Bullies for the Rock Lobbers.

Doom Divers in particular are quite awesome, I've found. Basically you have Rock Lobbers(which are your typical stone thrower) for taking out massed blocks of enemy infantry, and Doom Divers for more surgical(believe it or not...) strikes at more heavily armoured elite infantry or cavalry..or, actually, whatever you'd like to die messily and horribly.

Not only that, but if you're looking for some sick laughs, Orcs and Goblins are very much the way to go. They're huge, brutal, psychotic children, really, that get a kick out of pain and death...I'm not sure how much more fun one could have.

Now, that said, Skaven are also an incredibly awesome army. I don't currently play "the rat boyz", so I can't give too much in the way of detailed information. Regardless of which army you choose of these two, though, you're pretty much guaranteed a good(and bloody) time.

russellmoo
25-08-2010, 20:11
Fun things with Skaven-

Dreaded thirteenth spell- you could potentially transform your enemy into your friend.

Doomwheels, weapons teams, jezzails- take your pick they are all either very destructive or will blow up.

Some favorite/least favorite moments-

HPA eats Luthor Huss
General flees from combat and continues to run off the table (the rest of the army hung around)
Two doomwheels collide into the enemy, they flee, then rally and turn around to collide with the enemy in turn 5.
Doomwheel lightning fries character on dragon-dragon eats doomwheel (7th)
Worst moment of all time- 5th ed. Warlord flees, entire army flees off the board, game over at mid turn 2.

Bloody Nunchucks
25-08-2010, 20:13
its becaues skaven and goblins usually end up killing themselves more than they do of the actual enemy

DisasterMaster
25-08-2010, 21:23
I can speak for skaven pretty well. Games are full of WTF moments as your cannons shoot lazers through your own troops, your flamethrowers misfire and charge in a random direction before exploding. For each of these times though, your cannon will blast through your opponent's army at str. 10 with d6 wounds. You also get funny moments where 2point slaves perform (thanks to good dice rolls) far better than they ever should be possible of.

It's hard to get bored of playing skaven as they have so many awesome unit selections, and you can pretty much field any type of army you want, be it shooting, magic heavy, or close combat. Did I mention ninja rats and rat assassins?

Their fluff is great too. Hard to beat zany ratmen who consider themselves the master race destined to rule all surface dwellers.

cyberspite
25-08-2010, 22:22
Being able to shoot your own minions clinches it for me :evilgrin:

R3pr3ssor
30-08-2010, 07:30
skaven are also a top tier army, and things like the doomwheel are pretty hilarious.

BluePojo
30-08-2010, 15:50
Goblins are more laughs than Skaven in my opinion. Doomdivers, fanatics, off the wall magic, and a general misunderstanding of the way the real world is.

Orcs are a bit more serious, so if you really want an entertaining army, go all Gobbo (and to make it a viable list, field a solid block of trolls and other goblin supporting units).

Korraz
30-08-2010, 16:32
Orks. Even more so with an all-Night Gobbo army.
Skaven can be funny due to constant randomness (like your Doomwheel failing to oppress shooting, rolling a failure, crushing into your WLC, killing the crew and resulting in 3 units panicing off the board), but that's not the theme. Skaven are a darker, grittier, suicidal randomness.