PDA

View Full Version : 40k adeptus astartes which one???

Brother Kite
25-08-2010, 20:57
ok ive been thinking about getting a 40k space marine or daemon hunter army

i was just curious which chapter would you consider it best to go with?

Damage,Inc.
25-08-2010, 21:19
Why don't you buck the establishment and create your own chapter using the C:SM rules? Or pick one of the Badab War chapters that rarely see the tabletop.

Please, please don't make a chapter and use the rules for some other chapter, like purple Blood Angels or neon Space Wolves. Space Marines are the elite of the Imperium, funny how more and more they are becoming overlooked for uber-elite add-on chapters.

So there's my $.02.

Justicar Valius
26-08-2010, 00:15
I've got to say a Badab war chapter with the next IA coming up would be very good.

If this is you first 40k army why not go for somthing that asthetically pleases you (you have chosen a Black Templar for your avatar, why not go with them?) as I did? In the end you will be happier IMHO

Mage
26-08-2010, 00:17
Research it on Lexicanum. There are loads of cool official chapters, some with a lot of information on them, some with very few. Or you could make up your own.

There is no wrong answer, and chapters can have complicatedish histories and detailed backgrounds, so it really depends on imagery, character, and culture, as each has its own.

insectum7
26-08-2010, 01:24
Agree, agree and agree, make up your own chapter. It's a lot more fun, and you'll care more about the army in the end as well, when it's evolved into something unique. Also, once you have a solid collection of cool models, it's easy enough to change up the army list you are using if you really want to. The nice thing about Space Marines is that there is almost always a list that will work for the models that you have/like.

BrazenRogue
26-08-2010, 02:32
Depends what your after, really.

If its table-top effectiveness, people far wiser than I can advise.

If background floats your boat, a good research session on Lexicanum will turn up plenty of inspiration, regardless of if you prefer to make up your own or use an existing one.

If its the painting and modelling side of things, get yourself a good look at the existing ranges. Some chapters have a distinct appearance complete with multiple kits, others at least have a shoulder pad. Some don't even have transfers, making them a pain if you aren't much cop at freehand but fantastic if you are.

Ultimately though, go with what feels best. An army is an investment in time and energy, and you'll find that much easier if you love it to bits.

Col. Tartleton
26-08-2010, 03:13
Space Sharks. Dun na dun na dun na dun na dun naaa! Om nom nom.

Born Again
26-08-2010, 04:51
As everyone is saying, just go with the one that you think is the coolest. You have to enjoy painting and playing the army, enjoying the background of the specific Chapter will help a lot. Failing that, make up your own. This (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=132379) may come in handy.

I agree with Damage, Inc. Use the SM codex. Don't use BA/ SW etc unless it is a specific successor of those Chapters.

Also, in before Rainbow Warriors. :p

Brother Kite
26-08-2010, 12:14
well i did wonder about the fluffy bunny marines maybe if i got the witch hunters and put bunny ears on :P nah im kidding

but thank you for the feedback and a new chapter sounds like a good idea i may look into doing that and i was gonna go by space marine codex anyways im not a huge fan of blood angels.

i will check out lexicanum for info.

if i do make my own chaptr maybe it will grace the halls of the tournaments someday haha
thanks again

Nezalhualixtlan
26-08-2010, 15:10
Go with whatever one you think is best ultimately, but for myself I'll be making up my own chapter and using whatever Marine codex I want to field lists. So if I want to run an all Terminator 1st company of my home brew Chapter, I'll be fielding a Space Wolves list. If I want tor run a Assault based 8th Company, I'd use Blood Angels. If I want to run a bike army, I'll use Codex marines and run with Khan... So then I'll have access to build the Chapter how I want and make it as flexible and fun as possible. My only recommendation is that if you do that, make sure you field a single list at a time which is legal internally to a single Codex, don't mix and match.

If you want to go with a pre-defined Marine army though, pick the one you like the fluff for best, I think ultimately that's what makes it most fun (and read up about them on a site like Lexicanum (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters))

Mage
26-08-2010, 15:42
If you do decide to go on a 'canon' chapter, and you can't make up your mind between two or more, go with the one that has the colour scheme you will enjoy painting the most.

Damage,Inc.
26-08-2010, 16:31
if i do make my own chaptr maybe it will grace the halls of the tournaments someday haha
thanks again

That is one of the most entertaining aspects of this hobby- putting a unique custom army on the table against competitive opponents with a color scheme, history, and custom conversions all your own. The current SM codex gives a wide variety for choosing unique wargear and organizations, maybe not as good as previous editions, but it isn't bad at all.

I recently gave in and stopped making Crimson Fists, for example, in favor of Space Sharks. With the Badab War book coming out soon, I wanted to do a chapter from there. After reading about the Space Sharks and their aggressive tactics used during Badab, the army list kind of wrote itself.

Space Sharks in Badab did a lot of boarding actions and space fighting. Prior to action on Badab itself, they were tasked with assautling the Manti Warriors' homeworld, which was a jungle death world.

For my list I am using a Master of the Forge, 2 Ironclad dreadnoughts (because they are good in close-combat and seiges, like what would be taken to assault a marine homeworld), and a bunch of regular dreads as support in drop pods. Sternguard represent the veteran fighters that battle through the jungles and will get the camo scheme from the old Badab articles. Terminators were also heavily used in boarding action, so Im adding a squad ot them in too.

It's a C:SM list, but since it follows a background that isn't seen on the table much, it is very unique.