PDA

View Full Version : The basics of a 2000 point O&G army list

Lupercus
26-08-2010, 00:19
Hey there everyone. I have about 4000 to 5000 points of Orcs and Goblins all painted up and ready to go, and I'm having a rather hard time paring it down, and picking and choosing what I should have for a 2000 point army. Seeing as how I'm just starting my 8th edition Fantasy experience as well, I'm hoping to get a little help in how to go about making a 2000 point army out of what I have. This also includes unit sizes and the like. Anyway, here's what I have available to me:

Warboss on Wyvern(Azhag)
Blorc Warboss on foot
Orc Great Shaman

Blorc Big Boss on foot
Blorc Big Boss on foot
Blorc Big Boss Battle Standard Bearer
Blorc Big Boss on Boar
Blorc Big Boss on Boar
Orc Shaman
Night Goblin Shaman/Big Boss
Night Goblin Shaman/Big Boss

30 Orc Boyz
30 Orc Boyz
40 Night Goblins
40 Night Goblins
6 Fanatics
20 Wolf Riders

20 Black Orcs
Rock Lobber
Rock Lobber
Boar Chariot
Boar Chariot
9 Orc Boar Boyz
9 Orc Boar Boyz

Doom Diver
Doom Diver
6 (River) Trolls

I believe that's about it. So, as you can see I currently have quite a selection to choose from, so it should be fairly easy to come up with a nice, solid 2000 point list. However, the problem I'm facing is basically what unit sizes I should be looking at for the 2000 point level, how many and what sort of characters, and things like that. Any advice or suggestions you can give in regards to this would be very much appreciated!

Lupercus
26-08-2010, 03:08
I'm wondering if I need the full 30 for each of my Orcs Boyz units. Perhaps 24 and a character would suffice? Also, the Night Goblin units tend to be quite expensive, especially when fully loaded with 3 Fanatics each. At this points level, would it be worthwhile to only include 1 or 2 Fanatics with each of the units? Also, do they need to be 40 strong? I do like them to large, and really the 3 point each models aren't the issue, it's the expensive upgrades.

This 2000 point business is really quite stifling, isn't it? I'm really glad that 2500 to 3000 points seems to be the sweet spot for 8th edition...

papabearshane
26-08-2010, 03:27
I think if your going to be running lots of Warmachines 24 orcs is ok as most enamys will be worn down enough that you wont need that extra combat round that 30 gives you................

Control the magic phase...............I use 25 Biguns Morks Spirit and a lvl2 Ng shaman with Sneak Stealing as almost my whole magic defence........Add a Vanilla lvl 4 NG for all the little Waaagh1 spell and youll see how they help you out......no 6s for the enamy mages to get that ever so IF spell they need is awsome when you have 4 extra dispel dice and they have 1 less................

Some times the threat of fanatics is enough......add one to a block with nets and hand weps and run another block just with nets and they will be wondering if you have more hopped up balls o death and you didnt even spend the points there worried about.........

Dont take Full Commands those extra points for the boss are better spent on another unit............6 bosses and a few extra points is another block of Orcs............

Dont go crazy with characters...........they wil die due to attacks in 2 ranks............better protected chars is better then tons of chars.............I only use 4 in my 3000pt army and love it........

WARMACHINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cant have enough.........get a couple of spear chuckas for that no armer save str6...................35 points is awsome.........

Just have fun and try lots of things youll find some you like and some you dont.............................................

Lupercus
26-08-2010, 03:41
Cool, thanks papabear, that all makes good sense! One thing you mentioned really put in words something I had been thinking. It seems to me that the idea or threat of Fanatics is somewhat more effective than their actual abilities. This, I like. Not to mention that the "threat of Fanatics" doesn't actually cost any points;) Very nice, thanks.

I like the character advice as well, actually, and I'll probably heed that advice for sure. It seems as though points are better spent on more and larger units than loads of Heroes.

Thanks again, papabearshane!