PDA

View Full Version : Back Problems

jawsoftheworldwolf
26-08-2010, 07:01
I've sprained a vertebrae in my lower spine! :eek:
Currently having a lot of painful treatment to get me mobile again.

But long term, this means I can't sit for long periods.
To make things worse, I've got a lovingly detailed Space Wolves army which I was planning to add to.

I can't continue with my current army, as I need to be hunched over my desk to do the freehand work needed.

To continue with the hobby, I'd need to start a force that's quick to build and paint -preferably standing up or sitting up straight with little bending.

So, I could start my Space Wolves from scratch using regular Space Marines with bare space wolf heads, which would be base coated dark grey, drybrushed a lighter grey, then have the silver bits painted and washed black. No idea what I'd do about squad markings!

Or, I could try some Army Painter style (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_AnDNL-2Jgqk/SnZKxjz_JRI/AAAAAAAAACg/a9iHkffL9T8/s1600/ork.jpg) spray, colour, dip and matt varnish techniques. Squad markings wouldn't have to be so neat, so I could do these standing up.

Anyone else had a similar problem or could offer some advice for someone who can't sit for long periods and may need to paint with a spray can or standing up?

Damage,Inc.
26-08-2010, 07:21
I have bad back problems that leave me almost immobile some days. I hurt mine in a parachuting accident in the Army, and haven't been able to walk right since. Sitting in chairs for extended periods of time really cause my back to cramp up, but there isn't much way around that.

I've done yoga stretching exercises to help loosen the muscles. Don't know what your physical therapy sessions are like, but maybe some yoga can help you?

Swimming also can help as it's no-impact exercise.

As for your 40K stuff, have you tried painting in different positions? Say kneeling instead of sitting? Maybe you can work out something with an incline bench like used in weightlifting so you can lay at an angle and still reach paints.

I wouldn't give up as you will get used to the injury as time goes on and find ways to wrok around it. Until then maybe just take up a SM army with the bare minimum of colors and Devlan Mud washes for some detail?

MOMUS
26-08-2010, 07:43
If i were you i would try tyranids. They look great when painted with a limited palette, spray, drybrush and highlight is all you will need.
It gives the army a 'carpet of bugs' feel, just think ants or locusts. At a later date you can always go back and add detail for carpace markings etc.

Schmapdi
26-08-2010, 07:52
Get one of those alligator clip poseable arms and position over your bed/recliner and then paint on your back!

jawsoftheworldwolf
26-08-2010, 08:03
Wish I could do that. Afraid I have to be sitting upright or standing.

Mega Nutz
26-08-2010, 08:15
Get hold of some AOBR push fit marines, that'll save time on the builds, give them a real basic paint job/washes/dips and away you go!

All the best with your recovery!

sprugly
26-08-2010, 12:19
play necrons,
gotta be the easiest army to paint!

sprugly

p.s. sorry to hear about the back. Had a few small back problems in the past and even they were horrible. Back pains gotta be one of the worst thing you can have, it leaves you unable to do so much.

Brucopeloso
26-08-2010, 14:29
How about taking a break from painting altogether? Your health is much more important!

Bunnahabhain
26-08-2010, 14:52
Kneeler chairs? i.e. http://www.backinaction.co.uk/kneeling.

Supposed to be very good for back pain.

The other one with injuries that you cannot help but put strain on whilst trying to do almost anything (in my case, assorted bad things with ankles) is enforced breaks. Whatever you are doing, you set a timer for say 20 minutes, or however long, and when that goes, you change position, and rest the injury properly. Don't cheat. It works for me, your mileage may vary...

As to army selection, almost any force could work. If you pick models and paint scheme that looks reasonable with a very quick and easy paint job- ie undercoat, block in a few important colours, dry-brush and wash. You can then add the details, squad markings etc at a later date, but you'll have a perfectly usable force in the mean time.

LonelyPath
26-08-2010, 17:34
Sorry to hear about your back, I have Muscular Dystrophy which effects most of my body and have learned to take my time and don't do alot in one sitting. Try getting a high desk (or even something to put on a desk so you have a higher surface) to sit at so you're not bent over it when painting and a sloping board (like an artists drawing table/easel with something at the bottom to catch stray bits) when assembling models.

If it gets to much, take a break for a few days/a week andthen go back to it when you're rested.

BaronDG
26-08-2010, 22:10
Well, you can't spell paint without pain, you know. Anyway, situation sucks. Good on you to try new things until you're better.

What about tyranids? A genestealer-heavy force? I hear they work out well with dipping?

Aedes
26-08-2010, 22:25
I hope you get better soon!

You should give the kneeling chairs mentioned above a try. They are good in the back situations.

Why dont you try a Nurgle force?
I did a Nurgle Chaos marine force with dipping, and it worked quite well.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258617&highlight=dipping+nurgle

H.LaFever
26-08-2010, 22:27
You complain about a little back pain and wonder how to make you service to the Emperor more comfortable.....Hhmmm... this sounds as if you are flirting with heresy.
The mild discomfort you feel from painting his loyal subjects is nothing compared to the discomfort the Emperor feels, setting millinium after millinium on the golden throne.
Man up and accept the discomfort, view it as a reminder of his (blessed be the Emperor of mankind) sacrifice and struggle to keep the warp beacon alight!

p.s., serously, hope your back gets to feeling better.

rev
26-08-2010, 22:35
Glad I'm not the only one. Flexion is what you want to avoid, and unfortunatly as you know its the one position you'll find yourself in while painting!

I've tried everything, a tall stool, a high workstation, a kneely back chair, its all a load of tosh. What you need is good and regular physio to get you back in the game!

In the meantime don't use army painter spray - use cheaper halfords plastic primer, slap on a few spot colours and then army painter dip. presto!

All teh best for a recovery, I (literally) feel your pain.

Rev

Chem-Dog
27-08-2010, 02:07
I twanged my lower back a few months ago, I was fine on day one until I had to try to get out of bed, took me 4 bloomin' hours of tiny little movements, so I feel your pain.

I didn't do a lot of painting during my recouperation but I did do a bit, on a shelf, standing with my elbows on the shelf and holding everything (myself) at approximately 180 to the usual.

jawsoftheworldwolf
27-08-2010, 07:36
Thanks for all your support guys.

I've found a good, strong dining room chair for back support. My folks have a few more up in their loft, so I'll set one up in my office at home and office at work -so I should be alright.

My back has been loosening up these past few days, but I'm always going to have to be careful in the future.

Leaning forward to paint is still going to be an issue -hence the whole 'sit up painting' or 'stand up painting' approach.

This means I can do building, basecoating and drybrushing easily as well as some details. But the really fiddly stuff like painting Space Wolf company badges by hand is a no-no.

So I could take this opportunity to start a completely new army, as I can't continue with my existing army due to the sheer level of tiny hand painted details. Or I could choose to restart my Space Wolves with a far simpler scheme as mentioned in the first post.

Obviously, I'm not going to start a new army NOW. It's just food for thought for when I do, which will probably be after Christmas. In the meantime I need to add 2 Rune Priests to my existing collection and it will grow to about 3000 points in fully painted minis.

I'll be sad to sell it when the time comes. That said, if the chiropractor treatment has to continue beyond 2 weeks, I may have to sell it to cover the exorbitant fees!

paulymath
27-08-2010, 10:06
Have you considered seeing a Chiropractor? I know "real" doctors don't like them, but a good chiro can do miracles for your back. The one I go to also runs posture classes that teach you how to most effectively have good posture and build up the muscle strength in your stabilizer muscles to maintain a good and healthy back.

Another thing that is great for your back is something called The Alexander Technique. It is taught by practitioners in person. My martial arts sensei had back problems from his days from Tae-Kwon Do where you carry your shoulders high neck tucked in and slightly hunched over which kills your back. (similar to painting space wolve badges :) ) Alexander Technique helped him.

-Paul

jawsoftheworldwolf
27-08-2010, 10:41
Yep, I've had 3 sessions so far and have another booked for next week. That's 164 down the drain. Owch!

The real question I'm asking is about having to start a new army
I can't continue with my existing force due to all the tiny detail. So in the long run, I need to start something new and continue with what I've got until the new army is ready.

My choices are:
1) Space Wolves MKII:
Build an army using Space Marine Tactical squads, based dark grey, highlighted light grey and with the silver bits painted, plus bare Space Wolf heads. Then use Space Wolf sprue bits for Wolf Guard and make all characters from the Space Wolf sprue. Not much detail. Mostly grey army with simple pack markings. May get GW Space Wolf metal shoulder pads.

2) Orks:
Use the Army Painter Ork scheme as a basis. Spray undercoat, paint other bits, dip and done!

Problems:
If I did a new Space Wolf army in this way, it could look quite bland. My best friend's Dark Angels army has been built/painted in a similar fashion.

I've always loved the Orky character. However, I won a huge KR Multikase for a Space Marines army and I'm not sure if the Ork vehicles would fit where the Space Marine Rhinos and Land Raiders are meant to go.

Bunnahabhain
27-08-2010, 10:49
Of course Ork vehicles fit, as you can build ork vehicles to any pattern you like, including ones heavily based upon,( and therefore similar in size and shape to, ) looted marine ones...

magath
27-08-2010, 12:54
Yep, I've had 3 sessions so far and have another booked for next week. That's 164 down the drain. Owch!
Aside from the waiting lists, can you get help on the NHS? I've known a couple of jockeys (as I used to work with horses) get sorted out dead quickly.

One thing you might want to consider, and this is how I did my nids and my demons (and now my wuffers faces), is grey scaling. Spray a model white, black ink it, drybrush white again, and then just put the relevant ink or watered down paint over the area. The black ink/white highlight prodives a natural highlight/shade effect, plus, given your just applying ink, it will naturally appear lighter/darker depending on where you put it, essentially meaning that one coat, and your done.

Might not be the most professional of techniques but its quick, looks good, its not labour intensive and the high drying times of ink means you'll be forced to spend more time sat down resting your back...

The Ape
27-08-2010, 20:27
Where abouts in the UK are you? I have an excellent osteopath from when I was in the Midlands area. Much better than a chiropractor as they look at the whole body not just the back-mine sorted out my hamstring and shoulder issues (which were related to my back issue).

I found painting standing up (as a GW staff member, I pretty much had to...) quite simple after a while-give it a go and you may be surprised how easy it becomes.

BaronDG
28-08-2010, 01:14
Aside from the waiting lists, can you get help on the NHS? I've known a couple of jockeys (as I used to work with horses) get sorted out dead quickly.

One thing you might want to consider, and this is how I did my nids and my demons (and now my wuffers faces), is grey scaling. Spray a model white, black ink it, drybrush white again, and then just put the relevant ink or watered down paint over the area. The black ink/white highlight prodives a natural highlight/shade effect, plus, given your just applying ink, it will naturally appear lighter/darker depending on where you put it, essentially meaning that one coat, and your done.

Might not be the most professional of techniques but its quick, looks good, its not labour intensive and the high drying times of ink means you'll be forced to spend more time sat down resting your back...

Havn't heard this technique mentioned since the letter column of WD 90-something...

Would love to see some samples of it!

OoieGooie
28-08-2010, 05:40
If painting detail is an issue, look into using transfers (stickers). GW sells a bunch, or did, as I cant find them on their website now.

jawsoftheworldwolf
28-08-2010, 07:30
Ironically I turned to careful free hand painting, because I could never get on with transfers.

Now I'm just trying to choose between Space Wolves and Orks.

Nephilim of Sin
28-08-2010, 11:49
I 'sprained' my back over two years ago. No position is really comfortable after long periods of time. However, I have found that the best way for me to paint was to drag the coffee table over to the couch, attach a light/magnifier to it, and sit on the floor with my back against the couch.

This also had the benefit of letting me switch positions when the time called for it.