PDA

View Full Version : Night Goblin General?

Ectropy
26-08-2010, 08:30
I am thinking of making an Nightgoblin army, and therefore a NG general would best suit the theme. I am really worried about the low Ld though, and i wonder if you have any suggestions.

This is my thoughts so far. Since the NG warboss is only 55 points, what I am aiming at here will never be a great kill-machine. He should have decent capabilities against rank and file though. Challenges will be met by goblin big bosses so it should be no problem.

Martogs best basha seems like a splendid choice for killing rank and file with 4 WS6 S5 and I6 attacks for only 15p

Where do I take it from here? The very low Ld 7 need to be addressed, but how? Horn of urgok don't seem that good since it only works at the sounding players turn.

Artinam
26-08-2010, 08:43
You have two options, sticking to the theme and thus use Night Goblin Warbosses and accept their low leadership. An alternative would be using the Night Goblin special character Skarsnik Lord of Eight Peaks and Gobbla who besides being a pretty decent warrior also has ld 8.

Your second option is to restrict yourself less and allow normal Goblin Warbosses and/or Orcs for their leadership bonus.

Whitehorn
26-08-2010, 08:53
Take 2 items from the rulebook:

Crown of command on your general, grants him stubborn for 35 points. His Ld will never be modified by combat resolution.

Banner of Discipline (15pt) inside the unit your general sits. This gives the whole unit +1Ld, but that unit cannot use inspiring presence. That doesn't matter, as the general's Ld is still used, being the highest in the unit. That's now stubborn Ld8 for his unit, any other unit within 12 can use his now Ld8 from inspiring presence.
Add a BSB somewhere near this for rerolls. Everyone gets 2 Ld8 attempts at any Ld test (Stupidity, Break, Panic, Frenzy, Fast Reform etc).

Not bad for their prices!

Crovax20
26-08-2010, 08:53
Battle Standard Bearer

I am running a night goblin army + 2 spearchucka's, chariot and a unit of wolf riders. Your night goblin units should be around 40-60 big and thus have more ranks than your opponent. You also should be having a battle standard bearer which allows you to reroll all leadership tests. Suddenly you are looking at a rerollable ld 7 for a lot of your army.

The chances of your unit bolting with ld7 and reroll leadership aren't very big, and when it does happen you just have to accept it comes with the army. In 8th edition all my games were draws or victories except for 1 battle, I couldn't dislodge temple gaurd from the watchtower with my normal goblins and my squig herders were already dead. Squig hoppers were squabbling all the time so I just lacked the time to whittle the temple gaurd down, even though I had destroyed the entire rest of his army safe for some skinks.

Oh and you will want to have squigs, they are your best bet at killing the more elite stuff... I am lucky that most of my battles are against beastmen and lizardmen so the Iniative isn't a big issue.

Ectropy
26-08-2010, 09:20
Thanks a lot for the suggestions!
My biggest fear is that I may face a hellcannon which if I am correct will make me take panic tests at -1 Ld. Having lots of ranks wont help here i guess... A hit on my generals unit may prove fatal.

The only magic banner I can have is on the BSB, but placing that with the general adn give him the Banner of Discipline seems like a great idea.

Zetari
26-08-2010, 09:43
Thanks a lot for the suggestions!
My biggest fear is that I may face a hellcannon which if I am correct will make me take panic tests at -1 Ld. Having lots of ranks wont help here i guess... A hit on my generals unit may prove fatal.

The only magic banner I can have is on the BSB, but placing that with the general adn give him the Banner of Discipline seems like a great idea.

and if you fear anything in a battle it will bring you down.
The only thing you could fear is animosity.
Since thats the only thing can fakk up fro you really hard.
I have lost many times thx to a 1 on animosity roll....
LD is my least of fears since i pass them on 5+ more then i need to roll ;P

get a par of lucky LD dices and you will never fail :)
Not meaning cheat dices just a par of dices you roll really good with.

but if you fear the canon so much, i recommend spiderriders since they are fast and really got to take out cannons and things like that.

a pure night goblin army is hard to run since i do have a pure NG army with no other goblins:
Warbosses and shamans -> Night goblins.
Core Units Pure Night goblins. ( fanatic fanatic fanatic)
Special: Squigs and hoppers. ( i only use squigs)
Rare: trolls or giants. ( I mass trolls since i think they are better then one giant)
but i played them by the old rule book without the + LD and stuff. and mostyl i did well.
Warboss: Best Basha. Brimston and amulet of prot // is what i used with old items.

but i have played many Goblin armys but my best was:
go a Goblin leader on foot.
With ng shamans so you can get Mushrooms.

Ng with fanatics and spiderrider as core is awsome (i do not like the wolfs since i have never had any luck with them)
special: squigs unit, 2 chukkas as 1 choice. and chariots or hoppers (i never go hoppers)
rare: trolls trolls trolls... but not all like trolls as much as i do, since i love to vomit on people xD

if you like giants fine by me but i do not like them at all

Col. Dash
26-08-2010, 12:26
My advice is to pony up a couple extra points and bring a normal goblin general since they have an extra point of leadership. I typically keep mine with a unit of trolls and they still typically fail stupidity which is funny when it happens every turn. Playing in a tourney and never losing him or his unit was great, the only thing they did the entire tourney was charge a doomwheel and make it flee. For some reason all of my opponents concentrated firepower when they could against it, which also made me laugh.

Here is what i have discovered with night goblins.
Doom diver = awesome
Trolls rock even if they do nothing half the game
Squig hoppers = suck
NG archers with spider banner is awesome, brought a unit of 20. Took a charge standing and shooting and then the subsequent melee and managed to hold a unit of nurgle chosen. Their fanatic swung back around and finished them.
Fanatics = awesome, even funnier when a night goblin unit charges a night goblin unit. I call them my fanatic phalanx defense guns.
Spider riders arent bad, havent been too impressed.

Any kind of rock lobber = pain for you. bring your own, they are cheap.
Bolt throwers = awesome

My general with the trolls is a fluff thing in case you are wondering why. His back story is he was hit in the head and thinks he is the troll king(the brew item is mandatory) and has somehow convinced the trolls he really is, and the goblins just kind of nod their heads and snicker, but since he brings trolls they dont laugh too loud.

Deon
26-08-2010, 12:45
NG archers with spider banner is awesome, .

Can night golins use, the spider banner?
I alway thought only the common goblins could use it?

Napalm
26-08-2010, 13:06
Can night golins use, the spider banner?
I alway thought only the common goblins could use it?

The restrictions says "goblins", in the o&b army book it is also clearly told that night goblins are goblins.
Black orcs can also take "orc only" stuff.
The problem exists for "night goblin" object only, like "bad moon on a stick" , in this case a normal goblin cannot use it.

Lordsaradain
26-08-2010, 13:32
Personally, I would just go for a common goblin boss. No one can acuse you of cheesyness when you are playing a night goblin army. ;)

Crovax20
26-08-2010, 14:17
Meh, common goblin boss isn't needed. Rerollable ld7 is enough to get by.

In 7th I could have seen the point perhaps, but in 8th you can do fine with a night goblin boss

Ectropy
26-08-2010, 14:49
Hmm, I dont know. Rerollable Ld 7 gives 17% to fail the the test, and if shot by the hellcannon it is 34% chance to fail.

I think I will go for the common goblin with the BSB with Banner of Discipline nearby.

Crovax20
26-08-2010, 15:02
You're choice. I don't face any hellcannons at my club as we don't have anyone playing WoC.

If you are worried about panic perhaps you should just go for a normal O&G list with combined races? 1 unit of orcs, rest all goblins would work even better against panic ;)

Ectropy
26-08-2010, 15:28
Yea, you're right Crovax20. I have to face the fact, NG generals is not for me... It would be damned cool though. Maby the trick is to make the rest of the army not so dependent on the generals leadership, like lots of big NG units or something. But I can't manage it at the moment.

Deon
26-08-2010, 16:33
The restrictions says "goblins", in the o&b army book it is also clearly told that night goblins are goblins.
Black orcs can also take "orc only" stuff.
The problem exists for "night goblin" object only, like "bad moon on a stick" , in this case a normal goblin cannot use it.

Aha cool thanks for clearing that up for me, i honestly didnt know that
thank you :)

meneroth
26-08-2010, 17:18
I'm sorry for stepping in on a thread that is with an army i dont know and dont play but ive been wondering this for a while, well since 8th. since the gobbo heros/lords are so cheap, and characters can now form up into units, have any of you thought about or actually built a unit of goblin heros or lords? 55 pts for the lord, plus give them say....all the swords that add attacks or strength (obviously different ones) and you could build a cool little unit of 5 goblins with crazy weapons running around, probably not efficient, but i think it would be hilarious, and probably decently effective in CC.

Crovax20
26-08-2010, 19:25
Problem is the opposing player will just blast it. Best armor save they can have without taking magic armor is a 5+

Zetari
27-08-2010, 09:10
Personally, I would just go for a common goblin boss. No one can acuse you of cheesyness when you are playing a night goblin army. ;)

Cheesy!!! Its Called Sneeacky Scheames and Dirty Tricks!

O_o!

Btw one other hint if you want a kinda good lord. Skarsnik and the giant squig.
since he has the same LD as a common goblins boss i think.
and also he has his nice extra bonuses. liek tricks and sneaky and his weapon enchant is really nice!

(not at home so sorry for miss speles of names and wrong sayings)

And cheesy is playing a gunline thats cheesy....
(hate gunlines)

Jonik
27-08-2010, 14:00
And then he gets sniped by anything with a missile fire. Can skarsnik even be used at all with armies with ranged weapons?

Zetari
27-08-2010, 14:25
And then he gets sniped by anything with a missile fire. Can skarsnik even be used at all with armies with ranged weapons?

ofc he can? -.^

you put him in a huge ng unit and spam raider (wolf and spider)
and some Missle things of your own and a shaman then he is awsome

Sandals
29-08-2010, 17:13
another option to help Ld is to just take 1 NG Warboss (or CG - I don't think anyone would call that against theme ;) ) for every unit of goblins. Then every unit has a higher Ld stat. You'll have to nominate 1 as your general, but it really doesn't matter as evey unit will have one. for 55 points that's easily doable!

Zetari
30-08-2010, 09:24
another option to help Ld is to just take 1 NG Warboss (or CG - I don't think anyone would call that against theme ;) ) for every unit of goblins. Then every unit has a higher Ld stat. You'll have to nominate 1 as your general, but it really doesn't matter as evey unit will have one. for 55 points that's easily doable!

True that!