PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Amazing Tournament WoC

NixonAsADaemonPrince
26-08-2010, 11:31
Hi Peoples,

Don't worry, I don't actually think it's amazing, but it got you to look didn't it? Anyway, here is the list I'm planning to take to an upcoming tournament:

Exalted Hero with Mark of Tzeentch, Halberd, Disc, Charmed Shield and Talisman of Protection: 179pts

Exalted Hero with Battle Standard, Flail, Barded Chaos Steed, Dragon Helm, Necrotic Phylactery and Helm of Many Eyes: 200pts

Lvl 2 Sorcerer with Lore of Death: 120pts

15 Chaos Warriors with Mark of Tzeentch, Shields and Full Command: 290pts

30 Marauders with Mark of Khorne, Great Weapons, Standard Bearer and Musician: 192pts

5 Marauder Horsemen with Mark of Khorne, Light Armour, Flails, Javelins and Full Command: 145pts

5 Warhounds: 30pts

6 Chaos Knights with Mark of Nurgle, Standard Bearer, Musician and Banner of Rage: 335pts

6 Chaos Knights with Mark of Khorne, Standard Bearer and Musician: 300pts

Hellcannon: 205pts

Total: 1996pts

Thanks for reading.

theSkullduggery1
26-08-2010, 15:44
Your characters are really cheap, and your general might be a little too easy to kill.

Which unit is your BSB going into? I think either would be good but I'd put it in the one with Banner of Rage.

I think your specials are too expensive and you should get another unit of warriors or marauders instead of one of the units in the special category.

Your list is definately unique which I like to see, not many people take that much cavalry (monstous infantry is edging out knights) and every character has a ward save.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
26-08-2010, 21:45
Your characters are really cheap, and your general might be a little too easy to kill.

I was thinking the same thing, I normally run with a Lvl 4 disc sorcerer lord but he is very pricey and just didn't seem to be getting anything done really (only gets one spell off per turn and thus seems a bit ineffective).

Which unit is your BSB going into? I think either would be good but I'd put it in the one with Banner of Rage.

I normally run him there, but I also use him to fill any gaps in my lines.

I think your specials are too expensive and you should get another unit of warriors or marauders instead of one of the units in the special category.

I could swap a unit out for another unit of marauders, but I'll see how that goes, I quite like the fast pace feel of the army.

Your list is definately unique which I like to see, not many people take that much cavalry (monstous infantry is edging out knights) and every character has a ward save.

Thank-you, I ran a few mathhammer situations and knights were actually edging out warriors in terms of both survivability and lethality (not by much mind, and not in all cases, the lethality due to the restrictions of being able to fight to full effect only when in base to base) with the extra speed really making them worth it.

So to conclude, thanks very much for your response, any advice on how to sort out the character problem would be much appreciated. I suppose the simple thing would be to drop the Drogres, add in another 30 odd marauder horde and bump up the characters a bit.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
27-08-2010, 11:35
Ok, took out the Drogres, added in another Exalted as the general, and put in another marauder block, but this leaves me a bit over, any suggestions please?

lomore
27-08-2010, 14:50
I'd swap the chaos warrior unit with a marauder horsmen unit with MoS (playing 2 chaos knights you need something to just go after the warmachines and they could be good flankers anyway) with the points you save you can consider adding 1 knight each unit and give stream of corruption to one of your heroes.

theSkullduggery1
27-08-2010, 14:53
I was working really hard on what you could drop to get under 2000 pts, then I added up your hero points and got 540 (max of 500), so obviously this list needs more work than you thought.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
27-08-2010, 14:54
I'd swap the chaos warrior unit with a marauder horsmen unit with MoS (playing 2 chaos knights you need something to just go after the warmachines and they could be good flankers anyway) with the points you save you can consider adding 1 knight each unit and give stream of corruption to one of your heroes.

Fair enough, I've tried them before and they have performed well, though would it be better to swap out one of the marauder units instead, that would keep the diversity of the list.

theSkullduggery1
27-08-2010, 16:04
Nixon, it looks like you and I posted at the same time so you may have missed my comment about your list being illegal. I figured if I wrote again it would go to the top and you'd be more likely to read my last comment.

Cheers!

NixonAsADaemonPrince
27-08-2010, 16:21
Nixon, it looks like you and I posted at the same time so you may have missed my comment about your list being illegal. I figured if I wrote again it would go to the top and you'd be more likely to read my last comment.

Cheers!

Ah, sorry, I did miss that. Good catch, I just went and added the extra guy in without even thinking of the 25% cap, sorry. I dropped the staff and the phylactery (maybe the dragonhelm would have been the better drop? hard to choose really).

So I am now only 20pts over, how about dropping both marauder champions, that would save me the points without actually reducing the model count.

And how do you feel about substituting the marauders for horsemen (this is from a point coming from a model perspective, as the second unit would have to be some lotr guys I normally only use in fun games, though horsemen have proven their usefulness to an extent).

Thanks for your help, please keep the advice coming.

theSkullduggery1
27-08-2010, 18:13
I usually run my knights only 6 wide and they work fine...drop a knight and the champs from the marauders, you'll have 36pts which inadvertently is the price of 6 hounds!

I'm not a fan of the horsemen and would much rather keep the Marauders.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
27-08-2010, 18:17
I usually run my knights only 6 wide and they work fine...drop a knight and the champs from the marauders, you'll have 36pts which inadvertently is the price of 6 hounds!

I'm not a fan of the horsemen and would much rather keep the Marauders.

Fair enough, list is changed. Now it is that, if I dropped a warhound I could get my general a disc, do you think that would be worth it for war-machine hunting (if I got another 4pts from somewhere he could have a charmed shield to stop cannonballs).

Cheers.

Yrrdead
27-08-2010, 22:41
Here are my suggestions. But let me add a caveat, take whatever you are most comfortable playing with. We can give you suggestions and combo's up the wazoo but they do no good if you forget them in the heat of a game.

Lords - I'd take a sorc lord personally. To have a competitive magic phase you need a level 3 or 4. Kit him out however you like but I recommend TZ. The +5 to cast is really good and the ward save helps. Along with the obvious advantages of a disc. Plus Pandemonium is pretty darn good these days for magic defense. Puppet + Pandemonium is pretty fun.

Hero's - Drop the one sorc (points for your lord) and make your BSB as defensive as possible. Whilst the Helm of Many Eyes is a great item. I want as many points as possible towards defense. Talisman of Preservation + Mark of Tz is amazing. And I would drop his mount and put him with the TZ warriors. Plus if you give him Favour of the Gods you can make the TZ warriors that much better.

Core - Like it but I would pump one of those units of 30 to 40. Mainly because of deployment issues (frontage). With two Hordes you are looking at 22" of deployment frontage from those 2 units alone. Possibly drop the remaining marauders for 12 Warrior w/ Halberds MoK.

Special - Nothing to say

Rare - Yep its a hellcannon. Have you thought about a Warshrine? Very reliable , won't kill your own casters.

theSkullduggery1
28-08-2010, 01:03
I feel like the list that Yrrdead put together for you is the generic list that EVERY WoC player is running. Variety is good and I like that you are going a route that not many people are trying.

If it works and you have fun playing with it, great. If not, I'm under the impression that you have plenty of models and can put a completely new list up in a couple days and then have a go with that one.

theSkullduggery1
28-08-2010, 01:12
Wow, didn't catch this earlier...there is something about the flamming banner not giving fire attacks to anyone who has a magical weapon, so you shouldn't take the banner of eternal flame on your knights unless if you want lances.

I'm sorry I keep catching stuff in your list right when you think you have it finalized.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
28-08-2010, 10:37
Wow, didn't catch this earlier...there is something about the flamming banner not giving fire attacks to anyone who has a magical weapon, so you shouldn't take the banner of eternal flame on your knights unless if you want lances.

I'm sorry I keep catching stuff in your list right when you think you have it finalized.

Damn it! Cheers for the catch again, changed the list. I've gone with the horsemen as well, I know you're not a fan but I like the diversity of the list this way, though I'm in no way disregarding your very appreciated advice :). I've added some musicians in on the knights, so they can quick reform if needed. Any thoughts would again be very welcome, thanks for your time.

On the subject of other lists, cheers for you advice Yrrdead, I already have that kind of set up in other lists, which is up to a total of 9 now (those are just the 2k ones).

theSkullduggery1
28-08-2010, 14:39
I like the new list, exalted on disc rather than on horse sounds like fun. I'm even ok with the horsemen since you gave them javelins and flails, I'm just never willing to put 145pts into a unit of 5 horsemen.

I don't see anything that is illegal this time, but maybe I'll check back later and notice something (hopefully not).

NixonAsADaemonPrince
28-08-2010, 14:52
I like the new list, exalted on disc rather than on horse sounds like fun. I'm even ok with the horsemen since you gave them javelins and flails, I'm just never willing to put 145pts into a unit of 5 horsemen.

I don't see anything that is illegal this time, but maybe I'll check back later and notice something (hopefully not).

Fair enough, cheers. I know what you mean about the cost of the horsemen, I might try and squeeze a few more into the unit to justify the points of the mark and command, but I'll run this for now, see how it goes.

I'll go through the points of the units and post them here, just to make sure there is nothing wrong:

Lords: 0pts
Heroes: 499pts Max: 500pts
Core: 657pts Min: 500pts
Special: 635pts Max: 1000pts
Rare: 205pts Max: 500pts
Total: 1996pts

All looks good.

Thanks again.