PDA

View Full Version : VC- Blood Drinker rules question

Forge the Undead
26-08-2010, 19:01
Hi, there is an ongoing dilemma on another forum about the abilities of one said magic item the "Blood Drinker" here is the listing below.

Blood Drinker
(Vampires only)

For each unsaved wound inflicted by the Blood Drinker, the wielder (or unit he is with) immediately regains a single wound suffered earlier in the battle, as if Invocation of Nehek had been cast on them.

Here is the listing for Invocation of Nehek that is referred to in the magic weapon in question.

Invocation of Nehek
Necromancy Spell

Target one of your own Undead units or characters within 18". the target unit regains D6 wounds worth of models. Units with the Vampire or Ethereal rule, and non infantry units, are harder to heal and only ever regain a single wound.

-then it goes on to explaining the order in which raised models return-

there are two sides to the argument,

One group says that because it says each that each wound inflicted counts as a separate casting of Invocation of Nehek, and that the use of Invocation of Nehek it to dictate which models are raised first.

The other group says that because Invocation of Nehek states that a model with the Vampire/Ethereal/non infantry rule can never regain more then 1 wound only 1 wound to the the unit is regained (unless non vampire/ethereal infantry models like Grave Guard, Ghouls ect.) and goes on further to counter that the usage of Invocation of Nehek is singular not plural.

the question is if a vampire is in a unit of Blood Knights with Blood Drinker and other assorted equipment that could result in extra attacks IE Red Fury, potion of recklessness ect. is it possible to raise more then 1 (possibly upwards in 10) Blood Knights because they are vampire/calvalry

Discuss please

Yrrdead
26-08-2010, 19:27
Treat each unsaved wound as an individual event.

a18no
26-08-2010, 19:29
Blood Drinker
(Vampires only)

For each unsaved wound inflicted by the Blood Drinker, [..], as if Invocation of Nehek had been cast on them.

The argument is valid, but not an easy answer. Make it sure with your opponent or tournement organizer. I say that it's considering 1 invocation per wound.

But, in the case of Red fury, it is clear that 2 waves of attack happened (cause to know hoe many attack with red fury, you need to fully resolve the first wave), no matter the answer of the first question, i think you can raise at least 2 blood knight with a red fury vampire.

diggerydoom
27-08-2010, 00:00
I would agree the Blood Drinker rules are quite clear. Each time the vampire causes a wound that is not saved, he or his unit regain a wound.

Forge the Undead
27-08-2010, 08:06
I would agree the Blood Drinker rules are quite clear. Each time the vampire causes a wound that is not saved, he or his unit regain a wound.

I completely agree, but I think that fact that all units can gain as many wounds done is what comes in to question. The argument is not whether or not only 1 wound can be regained, as such Ghouls and Grave Guard would in no doubt in the listings description be able to heal multiple wounds, what is in question is if Blood Knights (a vampire calvalry model) is able to heal multiple wounds against the 1 wound limit in the invocation spell listing.

some feel that being able to raise 10 Blood Knights (a possible of 635 points) is very possible, and others feel it is completely absurd.

But, in the case of Red fury, it is clear that 2 waves of attack happened (cause to know hoe many attack with red fury, you need to fully resolve the first wave), no matter the answer of the first question, i think you can raise at least 2 blood knight with a red fury vampire.

I never thought about the separation of attacks, I can understand your train of thought.

Symrivven
27-08-2010, 08:40
"For each unsaved wound inflicted by the Blood Drinker, the wielder (or unit he is with) immediately regains a single wound suffered earlier in the battle, as if Invocation of Nehek had been cast on them."

The first part (For-Drinker) states the condition, the second part deal with what you do when that condition is met. So each wound is evaluated separately. And thus you can heal multiple wounds on knights as each wound is threaded as a separate invocation.

As for the 10 wound doom scenario, how often have you seen anyone play with 11 blood knights, for those are a lot of points in one basket especially with a vampire lord in it.

Loopstah
27-08-2010, 09:10
Each unsaved wound is worked out the same as a separate casting of IoN. Since you can regain multiple wounds on Vampire/Ethereal/Ghouls by spamming IoN on them you can also regain multiple wounds by causing more than one unsaved wound while using Blood Drinker.