PDA

View Full Version : Tooling up an Elven Prince

Loopstah
26-08-2010, 20:40
I'm looking to build a combat focused High Elves Prince and was wondering if anyone had any good ideas or experience using one that doesn't involve sticking him on top of a dragon.

He has a good WS, decent amount of attacks and ASF (usually getting the re-rolls as well) so he seems a good base to start from to make a killy fighter.

Ideally he should be able to generate some decent CR or take out enemy characters.

What are the best tactics? More attacks, higher strength, magic weapons?

lacurra
26-08-2010, 21:03
he's got pretty decent str already so more attacks wouldn't be bad. really i think it's pretty tough to go to wrong with a prince. it's cheap and easy to get him to a 1+ armor save buy putting him on a barded steed (24pts) with heavy armor (6pts) and an enchanted shield (10pts). Sword of Hoeth would be nice to automatically wound though as well or blade of sea gold which doesn't allow for armor saves is usually a winner. honestly, you can't really go to wrong with a prince.

GenerationTerrorist
26-08-2010, 21:17
If you are sticking him in a unit like Phoenix Guard, like I do, then I tend to go for the following setup:

Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Dragon Helm, Vambraces, Crown of Command. 268pts, IIRC.

4+(Re-Rollable) Save, 4+ Ward, makes any unit he is with Stubborn on Ld10, 4 ASF S6 attacks. He does the job for me :-)

Haravikk
26-08-2010, 21:50
GenerationTerrorist's build is a very good base, especially since great weapons are pretty much mandatory for High Elves since they completely ignore Always Strikes Last, giving you Strength 6 extremely cheaply. Much better value than a magic weapon unless you have something very specific in mind, but 4 Strength 6 attacks is good for an all-rounder.

Definitely need that Ward Save though, Toughness 3 is the weak point on all Elves and he'll just be easy pickings without it. I'm not sure if you can push his armour save to 2+ more cheaply than the re-rollable 4+? If so then I'd go for that, as a 2+ save is generally better than a 4+ re-rollable as it can resist modifiers better.

tiekwando
26-08-2010, 22:30
Well the most common build might be Prince, GW, AoC and VoD. (armor of caledor and Vambraces of Defense) gives you 4 s6 attacks that are usually re-rolling to hit, 2+ rerollable and 4+ ward save. Leaves you 20 points for other magic items.

More combat oriented is the White Sword, AoC and Guardian Phoenix. Gives you killing blow 2+/5++. Or Dawn Stone if you want 2+ rerollable.

Finally shooty prince uses the seafarer bow, GW, and defensive items as you see fit (probably AOC or possibly tem's gauntlets)

General rules of thum, with a GW we have pretty good killing stats, think of it this way we have a near magical weapon that allows for re-roll to hits, gives +2 strength but requires two hands. On the other hand we are t3, so we need high armor saves to survive. So most people give them a high armor/ward save.

Leatus
26-08-2010, 22:46
Try a prince with the white sword, talisman of loec, guardian phoenix, helm of fortune and Dragon Armour. 4 asf attacks with killing blow and the a one use item which pretty much ensures that you will get that killing blow with 4+ rerollable AS and 5+ ward. He will destroy pretty much any enemy hero who doesn't have KB protection.

Trains_Get_Robbed
26-08-2010, 23:33
I find the tailsman of loec not as useful anymore, sorry. It does a wound to you for allowing you to reroll to wound (you want to KB him not wound him) and for him to reroll his saves, not that sweet since you already reroll your missed hits and he isn't going to have any A.S for K.B.

Cheap(or woundy) Prince: Tekamagor's Gauntlets (or G.P), D.A, B.Steed, Shield, Sword of Anti-Heroes (or Giant Blade), lance, and Tricksters Shard. Planning on taking this agaisnt a Carnie List next, this or mounting on a G.E with other kits.

The problem is there are too many good bulids for a Prince.

Leatus
27-08-2010, 01:19
Talisman of Loec is for those enemies with similar I or higher. If they have lower I they normally have an item to stop KB, so your going to have to rely on base stats anyway.

Trains_Get_Robbed
27-08-2010, 05:38
@ Leatus: . . . what? Does that even make sense? Statisticly speaking and logicly reasoning. Elves, (all kinds) have just about the highest I in the entirtey of Warhammer, and the remdey for any sort of Ward Saves -whether low I or I- is remedied by the Other Trickster's Shard. . . . I honsetly don't see your worries amounting us H.E much problems.

Also will occasionally (very rarely use the Seafarer Prince, which for me is: BoSF, T.G, Lance, G.W Shield, and Reroll A.S charm.

lacurra
28-08-2010, 01:58
great way to make him a hitman is to give him the gem that makes him a lvl 1 mage and give him the death sig spell as he will almost always do some wounds to your target with his leadership being so high. great for taking out units with tons of armor or such

Von Wibble
28-08-2010, 11:20
I find the tailsman of loec not as useful anymore, sorry. It does a wound to you for allowing you to reroll to wound (you want to KB him not wound him) and for him to reroll his saves, not that sweet since you already reroll your missed hits and he isn't going to have any A.S for K.B.

Cheap(or woundy) Prince: Tekamagor's Gauntlets (or G.P), D.A, B.Steed, Shield, Sword of Anti-Heroes (or Giant Blade), lance, and Tricksters Shard. Planning on taking this agaisnt a Carnie List next, this or mounting on a G.E with other kits.

The problem is there are too many good bulids for a Prince.

But the reroll saves thing also applies to ward saves, which any character worth killing will have. And with Lore of Life's signature ability in play now the wound matters a lot less. Whilst I agree that the Other Trickster's Shard is a better choice, its unfortunately too expensive with that build (105 points on items).

Your own build can't have a lance since a character with a magic melee weapon must use this weapon and not any others. Apart from that its nice enough, though surely a great weapon instead of the magic weapon does far more damage for the points? A single (situational) extra attack and +1 save at the cost of -1S and 25 points doesn't seem that great to me.

lacurra - when I use a prince on steed thats the build I go for as well, although generally I find a noble does the job nearly as well (ld 9 isn't too shabby) and a lot cheaper.

My own suggestion - Barded steed, Dragon Armour, Shield, Blade of Leaping Gold, Potion of Strength, Helm of Fortune. Vulnerable to Death magic and enemies with IAS, (Guardian Phoenix would offer better protection as an alternative, but is worse against attacks with S6 or less) but for 1 turn can really lay on the hurt with 7 S7 attacks (rerolling to hit also).

Citadel97501
28-08-2010, 14:51
I personally have been using the following two builds as mandatory for my lists. The reason I am mentioning a Noble, is that he takes up the other armor my Prince would wear. Teclis, is always taken first and then the others depending on points. (PS. This I am fielding today in Hard Boyz.)

Prince
General
Vambraces of Defense, Armor of Silvered Steel, Great Weapon
(I occasionally throw in a Long Bow.)

Noble
BSB
Armor of Caledor, Dawn Stone, (or Guardian Phoenix.)