PDA

View Full Version : Empire army without state troops....

Dark_Omen
27-08-2010, 02:11
....is it possible?

I really like the look and feel of the Empire. I love the awesome artillery, the fantastic-looking Greatswords, the flashy wizards, the crazy engineers...

But I am absolutely disgusted by state troops.

Got a box a while back, I was very dissapointed. I won't go into details so as to avoid upsetting fans, but I sold the entire box to a buddy for five bucks.

A buddy recommended the old 6th ed ones and I had a look at his, they were somewhat better. A quick glance at Ebay prices crushed that idea.

But, then I got to thinking, how about running an empire army...without state troops. :)

I was thinking of something along the lines of taking min. core with handgunners/knights, then taking a couple of big blocks of Greatswords as my main infantry. Add in some artillery pieces, a wizard and a couple of captains, and walla, a 1500 pt list.

Thoughts? Would this work? Or is it simply not possible with 8th's focus on huge infantry blocks?

Kevlar
27-08-2010, 02:33
Whats wrong with swordsmen? Under costed, +1ws +1init. 5+/6+. Not great but in a big steadfast block they aren't bad.

limkopi
27-08-2010, 02:44
He's talking about the appearance.

It could work in 1500, but would be hard to pull off in 2-2.5k

freddieyu
27-08-2010, 02:51
You can try to fit in a theme with a block of flagellants, which counts as troops if you have a warrior priest or an arch lector...

the other option is a knight army....do a gunline, with blocks of knights to countercharge anyone who gets close....

you can use the flagellants to screen off the artillery/ missile troops.....if so get a big block of flagellants...

Stumpy
27-08-2010, 02:53
Just use militia if you don't like them. Its a bit of a push to say they're elite swordsmen but they work fine as free company, spearmen or halberdiers.

Jericho
27-08-2010, 03:45
I don't like the State Troops either. Spearmen (easily converted to halberdiers) and handgunners can be made from the old 6e starter set figs. With head swaps they look pretty reasonable. And they are way more easy to track down than old Swordsmen, which still suffered from some lame poses.

I'm using starter set figs for my fledgling Empire army ... the Swordsmen are the biggest challenge. I *think* I have the plastic arms from the old state troops set so more than anything I just need a decent body to throw them on.

Edit: I have a ton of old DoW pikemen that could probably have the arms chopped off and replaced with poofy plastic sleeves ... might be worth a try!!

Proctorkorps
27-08-2010, 03:55
Try the Gamezone empire (http://www.gamezoneminiatures.de/product_info.php/info/p176_Imperial-Halberdier-BOX.html) minis if you don't like gw's. they're a bit pricy, and they look more like spania-- ehm.. estalians, but it's an alternative

Crovax20
27-08-2010, 06:49
I'm not a huge fan of the statetroops either. I think a lot has been sacrificed to make them able to wield all 3 state troop options. Still I roll with the punches.. but I would much rather have seen a seperate box for swordsmen and a box for halberdiers/spearmen. If they ever redo them, I hope they do it like that.

Souppilgrim
27-08-2010, 08:01
I like the state troops myself (some of the heads are horrible). There are some options though. Try using the militia box, they have a very different look. There are a lot of places that you can get bitz from as well, maybe use outrider heads.... There are also some decent alternatives from perry miniatures.

Other than that, you can make an army without state troops. State troops are very valuable in 8th, but i've had good luck with artillery, magic, greatweapon knight lists too.

macmusic22
27-08-2010, 08:22
Yeh I just think if you're using an empire army without state troops you'll miss out on alot of the combined arms effect...

Slowpoke
27-08-2010, 08:43
The state troops do look moronic.. but the detachment tactics are, in my opinion, very useful indeed. Playing a gunline supported by knights could get boring..

commander of the marines
27-08-2010, 09:29
or you can do as I'm doing, buying a few boxes of bretionian man at arms, beg for empire bits in you gaming group and start converting:

swordsmen: men at arms with brets shield and a sword from empire (cut the arm at te elbow and fit it in)

helbardiers: helbards from brets and left arm of empire swordsmen (without shield)

if you want I can post some pictures of them (I've only 2or 3 of them painted atm since I've just started the army, but heck they look way better than the empire models.

btw "empire army without state troops": you do know that handgunners, crossbouwmen, helbardiers, spearmen, swordsmen and greatswords are all state troops?

Harwammer
27-08-2010, 10:08
If I started an empire army I'd make my state troopers using the milita models.

Just call them Mercenary Troops that count as state troopers. You'll need to pick up a few shield bits though.