PDA

View Full Version : GW 40k Schedule

Stickmonkey
27-08-2010, 17:49
May be my last post for a while as I'm heading to the jungle for a few months...and I'm unsure if I'll have even electricity in the village right now...

Anyhow, looking forward at 40k, I'm going to put down my forecast for 40k codex releases. May or may not be accurate, but its a best guess based on what bits I know...or think I know.

Nov/Q4 - DE
Jan/Q1 - GK (may be as late as March)
Late spring/Q2 - Necrons
Early Fall/Q3 - Witch hunters or Black Templar
Late Fall/Q4 - Tau
Early Spring/Q1 - Black Templar or Witch hunters
Late Spring/Summer/Q2 - 40k 6E
Early Fall/Q3 - 40k Box Set Eldar Vs ??? (plastic aspect warriors?)
Late Fall/Q4 - Eldar
Early Spring/Q1 - Dark Angels
Late Spring/Q2 - Chaos SM
Fall/Q3+ - vanilla SM

I know I'm going way far out, and anything beyond 2011 is going purely into speculation, but I've had conversations that seem to support some of this so time will tell.

Cheers,
Wish me luck and much bug spray and Skink/Kroxigor repellant.

jsullivanlaw
27-08-2010, 18:10
Wow! Thanks for tenative schedule of release! I didn't think 6th would be out that soon!

ForgottenLore
27-08-2010, 18:22
I wouldn't expect them to go 2 years with only 2 marine releases, Grey Knights and Templars.

I also can't imagine that Marines won't be in a new starter set, which would mean a new vanilla codex right after its release.

I, however, don't know anything.

LonelyPath
27-08-2010, 18:48
I thought GW went on record stating that all Codeciis will be updated before the release of 6th edition.

Erwos
27-08-2010, 20:07
I thought GW went on record stating that all Codeciis will be updated before the release of 6th edition.
GW and Sony have something in common: if it sounds too good to be true, they're lying about it through their teeth.

Plus side, much as I hate them for delaying Codex: Chaos out this far, at least we'll have a decent codex to use for the bulk of sixth edition.

jsullivanlaw
27-08-2010, 20:13

Yeah well i don't think anyone actually believed them ;)

the1stpip
27-08-2010, 20:22
Plus side, much as I hate them for delaying Codex: Chaos out this far, at least we'll have a decent codex to use for the bulk of sixth edition.

You're getting upset because they havent released a new Chaos codex..?

I agree though, I believe 6th ed will be 2012. It seems that they do a new release (40k and wfb) every two years, so it would make sense.

Though I feel that the Codex SM would be immediately after the 6th ed release (wouldnt want SM to have an out of date codex).

Simo429
27-08-2010, 20:23
The fantasy rule book and Islands of Blood have been released about two months apart so I doubt that there will be two seasons between a 6th edition book and a 6th edition box set.

MajorWesJanson
27-08-2010, 20:44
Huh. looks like one of my predictions from not too long ago, at least up through 6th. If accurate, next year is going to be hard on my wallet :(

Stickmonkey
27-08-2010, 21:11
The fantasy rule book and Islands of Blood have been released about two months apart so I doubt that there will be two seasons between a 6th edition book and a 6th edition box set.

How do you figure 2 seasons. This is exactly the same schedule as WFB July/September schedule. I should have just put Q1, 2, 3, 4 on my post...

Stickmonkey
27-08-2010, 21:16

I agree though, I believe 6th ed will be 2012. It seems that they do a new release (40k and wfb) every two years, so it would make sense.

Though I feel that the Codex SM would be immediately after the 6th ed release (wouldnt want SM to have an out of date codex).

Lot of feeling that the current SM Codex can stand the test of time...I'm completely reserving the right to be wrong, but the sense I get is that that Codex will not be immediately updated with 6E.

It's very likely however that the box set will be Eldar vs Marines, but with WFB there is a new air going about that a xenos v xenos box set could sell successfully... But its a long way off, so who knows.

Simo429
27-08-2010, 21:27
How do you figure 2 seasons. This is exactly the same schedule as WFB July/September schedule. I should have just put Q1, 2, 3, 4 on my post...

Well to me Spring to Autumn is two seasons.

Although its hard to estimate because fall/spring aren't really timings we use in the UK.

Megad00mer
27-08-2010, 21:40
An Eldar vs. Necron 6th Ed Boxed Set would be amazing. Really, it would be nice to see any combination of armies that didn't include Imperial Space Marines. I'd even be happy with Eldar vs. CSM.

Erwos
27-08-2010, 21:51
Do the math: Codex Chaos 4E came out in September 2007. They're talking about updating it in ~June 2013. That's almost a six year delay between codexes. It's not quite as bad as the wait that the 3E codexes are having, but it's not that far off, and it's unacceptably long.

Souleater
27-08-2010, 22:16
Cheers, Stickmonkey.

Good luck in the jungle.

R0ot
27-08-2010, 22:22
BLACK TEMPLARS!!!!! (I know they are at least a year away but still!)

Thanks Stickmonkey

mrln68
27-08-2010, 22:23
I wouldn't expect them to go 2 years with only 2 marine releases, Grey Knights and Templars.

They will probably find a way to release more marine stuff in there. Apoc formations, bringing back Index Astartes to WD, slipping in a different Marine Codex into the mix.

LonelyPath
27-08-2010, 22:31
GW and Sony have something in common: if it sounds too good to be true, they're lying about it through their teeth.

I'm mostly grumbling about the C: DA...

self biased
28-08-2010, 00:23
don't worry lonelypath, I have every confidence in games workshop to maintain our redheadded stepchild status.

MajorWesJanson
28-08-2010, 00:30
don't worry lonelypath, I have every confidence in games workshop to maintain our redheadded stepchild status.

They could fix things by merging the DA codex into the SM codex, just make it a tad bigger (32 pages) with 10-12 pages of fluff, the rest characters and rules. Then add 2-3 more special characters to better cover the other chapters (Tu'Shan or Xavier for Salamanders, named Master of the Forge or Dreadnought for Iron Hands, extra character for Raven Guard, Imperial Fists, and White Scars)

Then have 6th edition come along, starter with Marines vs Eldar or Dark Eldar, Marine codex with integrated Dark Angels, Eldar dex, CSM dex.

Ba'al Starslayer
28-08-2010, 01:11
Being a Black Templar fanatic, I thank you, Stickmonkey, for this! :)

I do believe they promised to be rid of all the "Old" style "Black" codecii; Dark Eldar, Necrons, Daemonhunters and Witchhunters. Look at any of those next to a "Modern" one and you'll see what I mean.

self biased
28-08-2010, 01:56
Honestly, I think they should do away with the concept of Marine Chapters having specific combat doctrines. sure, they have their strengths and weaknesses, but Blood Angels have become Red Marines with Jump Packs. I'm half tempted to start something like a space wolves army but use codex marines or the DA codex to bring home the point that yeah, Russ did things his own way, but he was also able to realize when his brothers were right.

If one were so inclined, you could sort a space marine book into five to seven distinct lists and then apply the chapters after the fact. the Deathwing list is used as a template for most first company lists, as is the Pupwing. Do we really need two 'terminators as troops' type armys? Are the Ravenwing and White Scars really so different that they require an entirely different ruleset to describe them? if we say "Dark Angles tend to use these tactics, rather than Dark Angels is this and only this army, it allows the player more freedom not only in army selection but in modelling, and may encourage people to by more **** ("Hey, I really like the look of that First Company list. I'm going to buy four more boxes of terminators and two land raiders so I can use it). It's not like it's that difficult.

cyenwulf
28-08-2010, 06:11
I really hope GW update all the Chapter Specific marine codices before 6th ed, and then move them all into 1-2 super codices.. The wait between codex updates is just starting to feel ridiculous now - especially compared to other miniature companies (Warmachine etc).

Born Again
28-08-2010, 07:05
Thanks for the heads up, we'll see how this all pans out! Some of it looks like it could be fairly spot on, I'll reserve my judgement on others though.

Enjoy the jungle trip, just keep away from any Catachan-looking foliage!

fall3nang3l
28-08-2010, 08:16
You, good sir, just made my day. And I thank you kindly

bit sad for the 2 1/2 year wait for DA though...

Souleater
28-08-2010, 09:51
Eldar in the starting box would be a fantastic idea IMHO. The army has a very distinct look and interesting background.

the1stpip
28-08-2010, 10:07
Yes, but I was talking RULES RELEASES, not boxed set/rulebook.

Fantasy ruleset -> 2 years -> 40k ruleset

The Marshel
28-08-2010, 10:15
Nov/Q4 - DE
Jan/Q1 - GK (may be as late as March) will hurt my wallet
Late spring/Q2 - Necrons
Early Fall/Q3 - Witch hunters or Black Templar will hurt my wallet If sisters
Late Fall/Q4 - Tau might hurt my wallet given a few conditions are met will hurt my wallet
Early Spring/Q1 - Black Templar or Witch hunters will hurt my wallet If sisters
Late Spring/Summer/Q2 - 40k 6E
Early Fall/Q3 - 40k Box Set Eldar Vs ??? (plastic aspect warriors?) Black templars seem the go here, assuming they are after witch hunters, matches the previous pattern of codex for an army in the set right before and after the set, plus black templars are still marines
Late Fall/Q4 - Eldar
Early Spring/Q1 - Dark Angels
Late Spring/Q2 - Chaos SM
Fall/Q3+ - vanilla SM might hurt my wallet

i'll be hoping you're right on the money stickmonkey. If so, next year will be both a fulfilling and expensive year for me.

will deff be jumping on the grey knight band wagon, (all i ever needed was plastics) and for similar reasons, i'll be spending big bucks on a witch hunters release.

Tau are iffy. I do enjoy certain aspects of their army. if it becomes viable to run proper fire warrior squads, if kroot are given a few buffs i personally think the deserve (such as stealth) and numerous other smaller factors are adequately dealt with, i'm in.

Id say sisters are before templars based on the starter set. recent patterns suggest the armies released before and after the starter set go into it (with orks before and marines after aobr, and skarven* before and highelves after IOB). given its either sisters or templars, and witch hunters are clearly much more obscure then templars, i'd be backing the black templars to earn a spot in the starter set.
*as i typed it i realized beastmen may have been after skarven, i dont recall to well having not paid close attention to fantasy releases, never the less looking at the armies before the set i'd back templars.

vanilla marines can deff wait. i dont see my main codex being to horribly effected by a new edition, unless they absolutely nuke mech to the point of complete inviability, which seems unlikely to me.

RobPro
28-08-2010, 13:32
Don't they usually wait 6 years before they put out newer editions?

ForgottenLore
28-08-2010, 14:31
Rogue Trader was 1987
2e was 1993
3e was 1998
4e was 2004
5e was 2008

So you had 6 years, 5 years, 6 years, 4 years.

I get the impression that they have been getting negative feedback on 5e so I would think they would try and do a new edition sooner rather than later. I think 2012 is just about right.

Kisanis
28-08-2010, 16:19
I get the impression that they have been getting negative feedback on 5e so I would think they would try and do a new edition sooner rather than later. I think 2012 is just about right.

It's always once you get used to a ruleset...
Ah well after all these years, you can't say you don't see it coming.

If one were so inclined, you could sort a space marine book into five to seven distinct lists and then apply the chapters after the fact.

Thats pretty much the 4th edition IG codex. I really loved the concept as it provided a tonne of variety between lists and players. As much as I love the current IG book, (Flight of the Valkryes?) I do miss doctrines.

tryanotherone
28-08-2010, 16:58
May be my last post for a while as I'm heading to the jungle for a few months...and I'm unsure if I'll have even electricity in the village right now...

Cheers,
Wish me luck and much bug spray and Skink/Kroxigor repellant.

Well, good luck with your trip and thanks for all the info in the last few months.

Which jungle are you going to, btw?

boreas
28-08-2010, 17:46
Jan/Q1 - GK (may be as late as March)
Late spring/Q2 - Necrons
Early Fall/Q3 - Witch hunters or Black Templar
Late Fall/Q4 - Tau
Early Spring/Q1 - Black Templar or Witch hunters

Wow... My 5 armies back to back!? Thank you, higher than average income. I won't need to sell organs.

And thanks, SM, for all your help to the community! I hope, though dimly, that you've shown GW that rumors are a good thing for the community!

Phil

Duckf@ce
28-08-2010, 17:50
the one codex i want to see done is dark eldar. the models need redoing and so do the rules, i mean you can barley even make a list with them there gear is so out of date and such.

Kettu
28-08-2010, 17:55
Hmm... Sisters potentially right before the next edition?
Well, I guess GW has to stick with the tradition of giving the Sisters the middle finger with their release.

[EDIT] Wait, Sisters of Battle or Witchhunters?

The Inquisition had no place in the dex to start with and now they remain in there?

the1stpip
28-08-2010, 18:22
The point is that Necrons are in most need of a new codex, but Dark Eldar are in most need of new models.

I would prefer to see Inq separate to Gk and Sisters, put the weirder stuff in the Inq codex, which will also make it more usable as a 'Counts as' codex.

IcedAnimals
28-08-2010, 20:05
Harry posted that sisters of battle were started shortly after GK were started. "not right after" but shortly after. So having it go GK,necrons, Sisters makes sense to me. compared to them being an entire year apart.

Wrath
28-08-2010, 20:45
Harry posted that sisters of battle were started shortly after GK were started. "not right after" but shortly after. So having it go GK,necrons, Sisters makes sense to me. compared to them being an entire year apart.

yea but if you went by start dates DE would of been out in 4th.