PDA

View Full Version : Magic attacks question...

von-pirate
27-08-2010, 18:48
Hi all,

What counts as a magic attack? Magic weapons and spells certainly, but what about attacks changed by a magic banner?

I have a Dark Elf army and was wondering if (via a BSB) I gave my crossbow unit a flame banner would they just get flaming attacks, or would they be magical flaming attacks?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Regards,

Chris

a18no
27-08-2010, 18:52
If the banner don't say: flaming and magical attacks, it is not magic. A vampire count banner give flaming and magic if I remember right.

Remember something: a banner that give flaming attack to a unit won't affect magic item (section of special rule, flaming attack), so the banner won't give flaming attack to the character with Sword of Might in the unit.

Lord Inquisitor
27-08-2010, 18:58
I don't think there's any reason to suggest a unit with a magical banner that bestows some additional effect to their attacks should also automatically grant them magical attacks. Likewise a non-weapon magic item that grants an effect on the user's weapons or a spell that provides a special rule to the unit's attacks shouldn't automatically be considered "magical" just because the source is magical.

von-pirate
28-08-2010, 07:15
Hi,

Thanks for the replys - I thought that it would be as you guys have said. I had a friend who tried to say that because the fire attacks were produced by magic, then ergo they were magic fire. I could see the logic in the argument, but not the rules to back it up!

Once again thanks for the help.

Regards,

Chris

smithers
28-08-2010, 14:16
Agreed, but also worth remembering that when when it comes to Dwarfs, there is a special rule for runes that gives any runed item or war machine magic attacks. (Somewhere in the army book but not mentioned in the individual rune descriptions.)

Peregijn
29-08-2010, 09:01
Agreed, but also worth remembering that when when it comes to Dwarfs, there is a special rule for runes that gives any runed item or war machine magic attacks. (Somewhere in the army book but not mentioned in the individual rune descriptions.)

i believe its on the same page as the "rule of 3" (never more than 3 runes on 1 item) and the "pride" (no runic item can have the same combination of runes) rule