PDA

View Full Version : Starting an Empire Army.. What should I start with?

Kiras of the flame
27-08-2010, 23:52
so I'm trying to get into fantasy, so I've decided to stand with the empire (a nice change of pace from the Orkz of 40k....)

one problem is that I'm unsure on how to gear these people since I'm new to the Fantasy scene I'm not so sure how I should go with arming my men and heroes... or how I should take on the enemy (I'm thinking of a mix between artillery and getting stuck in the thick of all things

one last thing, I want to use the Empire general and the standard bearer in my army since I think the plastic set for them looks awesome. How should I gear the both of them?

thanks for helping (or at least checking this post)

Ultimate Life Form
28-08-2010, 00:03
We have no strict WYSIWYG here (thank god) and are fairly liberal when it comes to modelling and representing. The general idea is that as long as it's plausible and you can see what it is supposed to be pretty much everything goes, especially on characters. There is no need to freak out over equipment. For example standard bearer and musician models will typically not have weapons, but it doesn't matter as the rules state that all models in a unit must be armed the same. Therefore it also doesn't matter if some of the soldiers sport unfitting equipment, because the rules require them to be identical and as long as we see what type of unit it is we're fine.

Characters can be outfitted with various magic items that are only revealed to your opponent upon use and otherwise secret, so modelling them doesn't make much sense (especialy as we sometimes like changing equipment between battles). Basically speaking a standard character
model as supplied by GW will suffice under any and all circumstances for each and all purposes.

Of course there's a limit to that freedom, the boundaries of reason still exist, so most people won't tolerate a 40K Ork as an empire general for example except maybe as a one-off proxy. ;)

SiNNiX
28-08-2010, 00:08
First of all, avoid cheesy artillery lines (we call them gunlines) as you'll win every game and nobody will ever want to play you. Just something that unfortunately goes with 8th Edition.

Some good units to think about fielding are State Troops and Greatswords with Handgunners and maybe some knights. Pistoliers are excellent support and even though you want to avoid mass amounts of artillery, still make sure you atleast field a couple mortars and hellblasters/rocket batteries (just don't overdo it). I wouldn't field a steam tank (commonly referred to as a "stank") but that's just me; they're very good and potent in 8th Edition. I just find them a little cheesy and 40k-ish.

I'd throw your BSB in a Greatswords unit and maybe your lord in your unit of knights, but that's completely up to you and can work in many different ways. Taking some Engineers with Hochland Long Rifles is pretty popular and effective as well. One of the best type of heroes your army has to offer are Warrior Priests, so it's always a good idea to take one or two. In 8th, however, you might want to be sure to field one or two wizards.

It's important to note that Empire is one of two armies that I haven't played yet in 8th Edition, and they've changed alot for the better (commonly regarded as one of the top 3 armies in 8th Edition so far).

Have fun!

SiNNiX
28-08-2010, 00:09
Oh no... I just noticed that the main question you were asking was about what equipment to go with... yikes... :(

Sorry! I'm no help apparently. :p

Kiras of the flame
28-08-2010, 00:27
Oh no... I just noticed that the main question you were asking was about what equipment to go with... yikes... :(

Sorry! I'm no help apparently. :p

yeah.... I'm asking so I'm not carrying a useless trinket my hero will never use or a banner that's only situational in a rare instance...

don't worry though what you said is a good Idea so I'll think about that when I get my hands on the army book...

bluemage
28-08-2010, 14:36
Well from what I can gather most people model their state troops to be using halberds. Mortars and cannons are both good so make both. Crossbowmen/handgunners seem to be equally useful so make either. And pistoliers/outriders could be built as either but I think people like pistoliers better. As for knights I think you're now better off giving them great weapons.

Hopefully an empire player can give some better thoughts.

static grass
28-08-2010, 14:50
With regards to wysiwig warhammer is definitely more loose which I think suits the game. I do think it is important though if you have multiple characters of the same type that you match the most appropriate figure with the character.

For the empire I keep gear to a minimum. RnF are what's doing it for you. A Runefang might be nice to have but it costs as much as regiment and I know what I would rather have. I usually take cheap magic weapons on warrior priests just to make sure I have enough magic attacks to slap down ethereals with.

macmusic22
28-08-2010, 14:57
Just tons and tons of state troops backed by mortars...

Gandalf the Gay
28-08-2010, 14:58
Well from what I can gather most people model their state troops to be using halberds.

Im not an empire player either, but from what Ive seen, state troops seem to be swordsmen most often, with halberdiers more often are used as attachments. Attachments vary a lot, but in the Project Logs, I dont think Ive seen an army WITHOUT a 25+ unit of swordsmen.

macmusic22
28-08-2010, 15:00
Swordsman for the 1+ initiative

SiNNiX
28-08-2010, 19:59
WYSIWYG has no meaning to me. My Dwarf Runelord is a Giant Squig and my Keeper of Secrets is an old Rat Trap action figure from Beast Wars.

In all seriousness, as long as you declare to your opponent any questionable or misleading models or equipment, you're fine. Obviously, you don't have to tell your opponent what magic items you have, so instead of saying "This isn't the Staff of the Lost Sun, it's the Piranha Blade," you could say either "This isn't the Staff of the Lost Sun" or even "This isn't what you think it is."

Clobbersaurus
29-08-2010, 00:58
Get some Outriders.

librisrouge
29-08-2010, 01:12
I play Empire so I have some advice...

As far as state troops go, it depends on the purpose you have in mind. If you need them to kill, them Halberdiers are the go-to guys. If you're looking to survive hits, then you're gonna' want some trusty Swordsmen. Spearmen kinda go in the middle and I'm not a big fan of them in 8th personnally. I prefer handgunners for my shooters but the crossbowman is still viable due to his extra reach allowing him to shoot turn 1.
As far as character equipment goes, don't take magic banners. The BSB is a big enough bonus alone. Taking a magic banner on him just makes him soft. It's also useful to note that although the BSB can't take mundane shields, he can take magical ones. Either do so, or equip the guy with the Armor of Meteoric Iron. The problem is that the Armor of Meteoric Iron is awesome and will probably be in every list so you're gonna' have to prioritize where it's best.
Take some Priests (Archlectors or otherwise) in every list. The bonus dispel dice keeps Empire a top magic defense army. Similar reasons go for the Rod of Power for wizards.
The Runefang on Generals is a waste. Too many points for only three WS 5 attacks. If you're ever tempted by a Runefang armed character then you want Kurt Helborg or Karl Franz.
Our warmachines are second to none but be careful about deploying them. The 8th edition charging/movement rules mean that the enemy will be on you quickly and undefended warmachines are dead warmachines. Mortars and Cannons are the bread and butter machines in my opinion, btw.
Knights should be taken in groups of at least 10 to be effective and probably need some character support (mounted priests are perfect for this.)

Hope that helps you out. Welcome to the Empire of Men and good luck.

Chiron
29-08-2010, 01:26
Im not an empire player either, but from what Ive seen, state troops seem to be swordsmen most often, with halberdiers more often are used as attachments. Attachments vary a lot, but in the Project Logs, I dont think Ive seen an army WITHOUT a 25+ unit of swordsmen.

It helps they were the go to unit for the last few editions and noone took any other troops (or at least not often)

Plus the I4 is nice to have so you go first occasionally

antin3
29-08-2010, 01:28
I play Empire, actually just started fantasy with 8th so my opinions may be limited but I'll toss some out there for you.
Take a BSB definately, Empire can have a ton of cheap heroes and that is often a good thing for all the RnF troops you should use. RnF plus detachments are a solid choice for Empire. As stated before you could load up on handgunners and warmachines and probably win many games but people will hate to play you and your games will get boring real fast.
Warrior priests are awesome. I run 4 big blocks of troops in my 3k army. 35 halbs, 30 spears (6 wide) 30 swordsmen and 30 greatswords. My characters are general on foot, WP, 2 captains, 2 wizards and an engineer. You definately want an engineer.
Swords, spears and Halbs all have their uses so I recommend playing them all to see what best suits you if you can do that.
That's about all I can think of right now, sorry if it came out sporadic.

Kiras of the flame
29-08-2010, 02:04
@librisrouge
coolsauce on the info... and thanks everyone for the info, and yeah I hope I do well, less I end up at the front of Morr's gates...

@
Antin3... looks like we're in the same boat, lets try to make the Empire proud
for heroes I'm thinking along the lines of a General, a BSB, an Engineer, a couple of Wizards and a Warrior Preist (I'm debating if there's gonna be a Wizard Lord or an Arch Lector on a War Altar and either a general or a Grand Master)

I'm gonna look around the sites for list Ideas... hopefully I'll find something that appeals to me...

Proctorkorps
29-08-2010, 02:26
you two should try reading some of the various battle reports including the Empire. i'm starting empire too for 8th and i found them very helpful, in that the common themes tend to be: halbs are the best, mortars are siiick, and warrior priests are awesome (as stated in older posts)

i'm curious to know what provinces you'll be using, if any ;)

for me: Averland :angel:

Aluinn
29-08-2010, 03:27
I think a very good start is a battalion box, a General/BSB box, a Battle Wizards box, and a cannon/mortar. This gives you a pretty good sampling of everything the Empire can field: Combat infantry, ranged infantry, characters of all types (you can convert a Warrior Priest easily from the characters box and maybe some Greatsword parts, or even an Engineer by mixing in Handgunner champion bits), wizards, cavalry, and a war machine. Even better, it's all plastic.

For equipping the State Troops, I recommend either Halberdiers (for offense) or Swordsmen (for defense) to begin. Spearmen are a bit sub-par in performance compared to Halberdiers, and Swordsmen are far and away the best option for survivability. On the ranged side, both handguns and crossbows are good, although I think the balance, for Empire, slightly favors handguns, because the champion can get some nifty weapon upgrades in the form of the repeater handgun or the Hochland long rifle which are unique to that unit (and, well, Engineers, but they should be assisting war machines rather than shooting their own guns most of the time, and really aren't very efficient no matter what they do).

The only thing in there that I'm not a huge fan of is the Knightly Order unit, but even that has its uses; it can be a decent flanking support unit for your infantry contingent.

Kiras of the flame
29-08-2010, 06:38
@Aluinn
Actually I was planning to go for that... in my experience it's a good place to branch since it has the most models and most people tend to branch out from there. Thought I wish they still had the Empire Army Box... still it's probably better that way.
for state troops I'm probably gonna start with Halberdiers since they have a good punch, though better judgment says swordmen... for range I'll take handgunners... how many armies have access to valuable black powder weapons? More or less a Sniper Rifle?
Knights are cool, especially since I want my General to be on foot... also the +1 armor save is nice for a core choice.

@Proctorkorps
yeah I'm gonna have to look around for my WD on that... might be a good Idea or two for what armies I'm gonna field.

as for province, I'm actually between Averland, Talabheim, and Reikland, but more towards Reikland because of it's Provance (I'm not too fond of the Aldorf color scheme... red and blue traditionally don't mix very well.) Middenheim would be a good alternative but I'm too lazy to convert the Comets into wolves. and with chaos on the rise I'm not too keen on over-the-top red (oh come on we all know a large number of chaos players devote themselves to the blood god).

Proctorkorps
29-08-2010, 17:10
In the Warhammer RB at the end there's a little picture of a regiment that has a deep red maroon and white as their colors. Personally i think this'd be a badass color scheme for an Empire army, i know i plan on doing one or two regiments like that

I'm not sure about the exact page (it's just somewhere near the end) or the name of the reg. but it's worth a shot

Kiras of the flame
30-08-2010, 17:08
In the Warhammer RB at the end there's a little picture of a regiment that has a deep red maroon and white as their colors. Personally i think this'd be a badass color scheme for an Empire army, i know i plan on doing one or two regiments like that

I'm not sure about the exact page (it's just somewhere near the end) or the name of the reg. but it's worth a shot

I think those were men from Talbaheim.... Though Reikland has a similar color... still I think Reikland is mostly White with red details (similar to Nuln in some respects) still the red and white detail was what I was going for...

draccan
30-08-2010, 18:15
High priority:
1 cannon, 2 mortars
1 unit of greatswords
1 swordsmen + shields unit
1 handgunner unit
1 unit of 5-6 pistoliers
1 general, 1 captain, bsb, 2 wizards

Medium priority:
Knights

Low priority:
Flaggellants, rocket battery

Not important:
Steamtank

ltsobel
30-08-2010, 18:25
Just starting Empire meself, really usefuls posts here and good idea original poster :).

Im going Hochland with a Middenheim contingent. On that note are Knights of the White Wolf that poor?

antin3
30-08-2010, 20:20
I'm doing Altdorf as of right now, unless something changes my mind before tomorrow (a painting group begins on the empire website.

Novrain
30-08-2010, 20:32
@Itsobel
I play a Middenheim Empire army so have lots (45+) of White Wolves

KoWW are probably the best type of knights to field in 8th as the combo of a 2+ save and S5/S6 allow them to grind more effectively than guys with lances who get stuck at S3/S4 after the charge.

Of course not all GW armed knights have to be Knights of the White Wolf, but all the cool ones are :P

Aluinn
30-08-2010, 20:39
Proctor, those are the colors of Ostermark IIRC. I actually wanted to make an army from that province since I like the background for it, but I decided to paint mine in Hochland colors instead because I just like them better.

Kiras, Halberdiers are just fine, so go for it if you like them better. They may be much more fragile than Swordsmen, but they hit harder and are cheaper. It's really just a choice between offense and defense; Halberdiers definitely make a better Horde, if you manage to get 40 or more of them. The only State Troops I think are a bit weak are Spearmen; they'd be fine for a point less or if they actually came with shields, but right now they're overpriced. (Empire should get pikes anyway :).)

Crovax20
30-08-2010, 20:43
I like my empire army, because it can do so much! I can mix it up every time if I want to... just need to have the models for it.

I personally went for nordland.. I like the blue and yellow. Its hard to paint though, but then again when I field my army it doesn't look like a brown smudge like most other armies seem to do. Here are a couple of (bad) pics

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/Crovax20/IMG_1315.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/Crovax20/IMG_1288.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/bretonniaholland/clubavonden/DSC_7948.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/bretonniaholland/clubavonden/DSC_7960.jpg

Proctorkorps
30-08-2010, 22:26
I really like that baby blue-ish you got going there, crovax. you should try mixing state troop and malitia kits to make a pirate unit ;)

I plan on doing several units of 30 halberdiers, 5x6: i saw it used in a BR in a tourney and it seemed a good idea

novrain, you have convinced me to give my knights great weapons..

Clobbersaurus
31-08-2010, 06:18
I make each unit a different color scheme just to break up the monotony.

Clobbersaurus
31-08-2010, 07:02
How can halberds be better than spears when their stats are identical?

Crovax20
31-08-2010, 07:42
they get +1 strength in close combat, so have an easier time wounding.

15 spearmen attacks, 7 will hit and against T4 about 2.31 will wound with full armor saves allowed

10 halberd attacks 5 will hit 2.5 will wound with -1 armor save.

you get a slightly better chance to wound and on the charge you are just better. However spearmen get a 5+ armor save while halberds only get a 6+ so spearmen are a bit more survivable.

ltsobel
31-08-2010, 08:28
@Novrain - Thanks for that, im sold and going have some some KOTWW fun!

Generally -
Is 8 the best size to field?
Does the current battalion box have the KOTWW sprues or is it just the knights box? Ive got the older one with the cannon from ebay but it didnt have it.

knightime98
31-08-2010, 08:34
Empire - ah, my first good army. I too have a fantastic Norland painted army. I may post pictures later. Well over 5000 points in all.

Halberdiers do have the +1S but if you have a General of the Empire, you can now also give them the generic Banner that also gives them Armor Piercing. For a net total of a -2 Armor save. Very cheap unit to have such a punch.

Warmachines - I like to come kitted with what I call the "hat-trick". For those who love hockey - you will know that it means 3 goals. In this sense, it is 3 warmachines. One each, Cannon (for big nasties - dragons, hydra, HPAbom, Giant, etc..), Mortar (for low toughness mass troops - clanrats, gobbos, marauders, etc.), and the Hellstrom Rocket Battery (for High toughness blocks - WoC Warriors, Dwarves of any kind, Saurus Warriors, etc..). It is now worth it to buy an Engineer and place it in a triangle between all 3 of these. The Engineer can reroll a misfire on one of them if any of them fail per the Empire FAQ. You can also give the Engineer the Hochland Long Rifle and snipe a champion or hero of your opponent.

Aside from that, stay away from expensive units such as a huge block of knights. One block of 11 with a Warrior Priest is a common build for myself from time to time. The Warrior Priest gives hatred for rerolls to hit in the first round of any combat.

Lots of state troops is always the way to go. Through 10 years of experience, Empire wins through attrition and varied use of force. They have 3 phases that they are all ok at.. but not exceeding in any one of them.. Magic, shooting, and combat...
Always take one block of detachments with each big block of troops. Detachments can be and have been game winners.. 3x5 is now the standard.

Magic - one level 4 wizard, maybe a level 2 if you want to go a bit heavy, and a Warrior Priest or 2 will give you plenty to go in the Magic Phase on both sides.

As mentioned the Stank is a bad choice and only taken by WAAC players or as a one off Fun game with friends in a high point game.

Kitting characters really depends on what you want to do. Empire is one of the most diverse armies you can play.

BSB's are now even more critical for survival. Captain with Armor of Meteoric Iron (1+AS), and 6+Ward Save item.
or
BSB, mounted, barded, plate (2+save), with 5+Ward Save and sword of might.

Really the bsb needs to live so that's the reason for equipping him so. Note that the first choice allows for a LOS in a unit whereas the second choice is not as beneficial in that regard.

Aside from the BSB, the gate is wide open pending what you want to do with your army.
Attacking/Killing, Defensive/Holding, Capturing an objective and holding it, and so on..

Some items that are taken somewhat frequently
- Van Hortsmann's Speculum
- Rod of Power
- Doomfire Ring (not as prominent now with re-rolled panic checks)
- Griffon Banner (double rank bonus but leaves your Army BSB very vulnerable)
- Scroll that dispells AND on a 4+ removes that spell from the rest of the game. Furthermore, this does not COUNT as your dispel scroll. A dispel scroll is a different type of Arcane item. Which means, if you have 2 wizards - one can have this scroll and another a standard dispel scroll for a total of 2 dispel scrolls, each with different properties.
- Icon of Magnus (immune to fear, not taken as much because of re-rolling for fear by bsb)

So there you have it...

Mastery of the Empire Army takes a long time. Over the course of several years, your experience will show in your army selection. New players always want lots of wizards, warmachines, knights, and so on. This is where they fail usually.. Too many shiny and new things instead of the state troops. Lots and lots of state troops backed by detachments and a few units of crossbows.. NOT handgunners. Handgunners can not shoot the first turn if you get first turn. Crossbows have a range of 30 and are S4. They are effective immediately!

So it seems to me...

Novrain
31-08-2010, 12:36
Is 8 the best size to field?
Does the current battalion box have the KOTWW sprues or is it just the knights box? Ive got the older one with the cannon from ebay but it didnt have it.

I would reckon on fielding knights in units of either 5 (for warmachine / wizard hunting) 12 (for breaking ranks, character delivery and hammer usage) or in certain circumstances horde them ( a guy from WHEmpire used 30 against VC and tanked...)

12 gives you two ranks plus 2 guys can die and still break ranks.

I know one box comes with the KoWW sprues (I think it is the actualy knight box) and the other doesnt (the battalion box. Tbh you can convert fairly easily or pick up the sprues from bitz retailers like bitsandkits or even buy them sometimes on ebay.

Clobbersaurus
01-09-2010, 05:03
Clearly, I am a noob and don't have my state troops built yet.

Where are you getting the different stats for the different state troop builds?

Crovax20
01-09-2010, 10:14
Armybook Empire has all the stats :p

Or you could go to the GW website and look up state troops there they also list the stats but not pointcosts

Fox Of 9
01-09-2010, 21:38
:If your looking for a huge punch that will send an ememy general realing* a big block of knight with lances & shields will do the job nicely. last week i saw a 19 strong unit of knights lead by a 100pt (or so) captain:eek:this killed most of a orks & goblins army in two turns while the rest of the army was still half way across the table. i think this worked coz of the size and postioning of the orks (plus the hammering they took from the rocket batteries in turn 1). *soz if i spelt it wrong.:D:D

so i recommend a large block of knights;) and a artill train to boast about :D then some sort of wizard and then a couple of mounted or non mounted warrior priest for hatred and +2 dispell dice.:) soz if this is no help

Trigger36
01-09-2010, 21:40
Clearly, I am a noob and don't have my state troops built yet.

Where are you getting the different stats for the different state troop builds?

You do know the weapons they wield have different effects, right?

Fox Of 9
01-09-2010, 21:55
You do know the weapons they wield have different effects, right?

yerr spears fight in 2 ranks or somthing like that halberdiers +1 strenght and swordsmen get +1 armour save and ???

trigger36 what bonus do the swordsmen get for their swords and shileds apart from +1 sv

Fox Of 9
01-09-2010, 22:04
Empire - ah, my first good army. I too have a fantastic Norland painted army. I may post pictures later. Well over 5000 points in all.

As mentioned the Stank is a bad choice and only taken by WAAC players or as a one off Fun game with friends in a high point game.

why does no one like the steam tank ???? :wtf::wtf: that makes no sense they are awsome when i,ve seen them play but not unstoppable like some whfb moddles/characters

Clobbersaurus
02-09-2010, 07:01
I was browsing through my Empire book and didn't see different stats for the swords vs. spears vs. halberds. All I saw was a slight increase in one stat for swordmen at a cost of 6 points per model instead of 5.

And the steam tank, before the new errata, was awesome.

knightime98
02-09-2010, 07:10
Spears if static fight with one additonal rank.

Swordsmen have one better initiative, Hand Weapon and Shield (which allows a 6+ Ward Save in the form of a Parry in hand to hand combat), Light Armor.. So they get a 5+ Armor save, 6+ Ward Save..

Halberds get +1S, Light Armor

Each has a purpose, design, and effectiveness. It is up to you as the commander of the Empire Forces to marshal them to the best of THEIR abilities!

This in a nutshell, is the theme behind the Empire.

Steam Tank - Man, this is really not a good choice in any regard. Only points denial. After the 3rd turn it's just a piece of Terrain on the Battlefield. It starts the game off crippled. I mean that sincerely. To get 5 steampoints is it or 6 you need to avoid rolling a 6 otherwise, it blows itself up! That's ridiculous! Not a fan of the Steam Tank and I field it only about once a year in a 3k point game or higher. My opponents seldomly request this but if they ask I field it. In some cases, they want to practice for a tournament or something like that. So that is the only real time I field it.

Fox Of 9
02-09-2010, 09:10
RE:Steam Tank - Man, this is really not a good choice in any regard. Only points denial. After the 3rd turn it's just a piece of Terrain on the Battlefield. It starts the game off crippled. I mean that sincerely. To get 5 steampoints is it or 6 you need to avoid rolling a 6 otherwise, it blows itself up! That's ridiculous!

Actual Steam Tank Rules : At the start of your turn declare how many steam points your steam tank is trying to generate between 0-5. f you declare 1 or more steam points roll a D6 and add that number to the number of steam points your trying to generate if the total is below the remaining wounds all's fine if not the steam tank losses 1 wound & NO steam points are generated.

Kiras of the flame
02-09-2010, 22:37
ok so I got the book today and I got a batallion set since it was just standing there and taunting me as well as some extra goodies to get me started...

I'm tuning my army so that I'm gonna be ready to face Primarly chaos warriors, since I'm very sure that a lot of my opponents will be around that area...

I'm going for the Reikland colors with a small regiment from Nuln (thus will have a black and white contrast as a whole)

so far here's what I'm planning

Lords
Lord Fedrik Kreigenhoff
General of the Empire (barded warhorse, full plate, shield, Sword of Might, Holy Relic)
Grand Mage Ludwig van Kroff
Lv4 Wizard Lord(lore of light, thinking about the magic items)

Heroes:
Captain Jorgen Freedmont
Captain BSB (armor of meteoric Iron)
Markus Hoff
Warrior Preist(armor of Meteoric Iron, additonal hand weapon,Van Hortsmann's Speculum)
Master Engineer Raukoff Von Seppenstel
Engineer (on mechanical steed with a hochland longrifle and pigeon bombs)
Alchemist Belthasar Faust
Lv2 Battle Wizard (Lore of Metal, dispel scroll, Crystal Ball)

as for the main army I have so far...
20 Swordmen
20 Halberdiers
10Handgunners (with hochland longrifle)
10 crossbowmen
6 knights
5 Outriders (with Hochland longrifle)
10 Greatswords
1 Great Cannon
1 Mortar
1 Volly Blaster

in the future:
20 additonal Halberdiers and run as a horde...
10 Milita detachment for the Swordmen
6 additional knights
10 additional greatswords
Flagellents

Thanks for the help everyone... With the info you're giving me I hope to beat my rival (a friend of mine that plays a Warriors of Chaos army dedicated to Slannesh, Tzeentch) in my first game... more help is welcome and of course there's alot of people who want to start an empire army as well...

Clobbersaurus
03-09-2010, 04:34
Yeah, the Steam Tank doesn't start off crippled. When I use it, I always go for 4 SP, 5 if I am feeling brave. With 4, you are guaranteed to not get hurt. The thing only needs four SP to unleash all it's attacks, and in movement, each SP gets you 3 inches. And until recently it was near impossible to hurt.

Also, again, I am noob, but where do you get the different stats for the different weapons? Empire rules, or main rules? And what edition? I just got Isle of Blood and haven't had a chance to look through the new rules much, and haven't used state troops yet so haven't looked in the 7th edition either.

Clobbersaurus
05-09-2010, 02:44
I realize I am sounding stupider by the minute, but where exactly do you get the stats for the different weapons for the state troops? Are they in the 8th edition book?

CaptScott
05-09-2010, 02:53
Yep, stats in the rule book.

Clobbersaurus
05-09-2010, 05:03
Thanks, just got Island of Blood and haven't gone into the new rules much. What section of the new book are the sword/spear/halbreds in?

Proctorkorps
05-09-2010, 06:21
@Kiras
good to see you're naming your characters! some people don't
i plan on naming all of mine, including the regiments