PDA

View Full Version : 1k Woodies - All Stick-Flinging

Agnar the Howler
28-08-2010, 00:11
UPDATE: More lists up at post #3.

Hello, and welcome to another Agnar themed army thread; this army's theme is Stick-Flingers only (or mainly, not fussed about a bit of melee) and is based off my recent thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273014) about whether or not it'd be effective to play an all-shooting army of Wood Elves.

Despite the general concensus being 'No' I thought i'd have a crack at it anyway:

Highborn w/ Bow of loren, Arcane Bodkins, Alter Kindred, light armour and shield - 246pts

Noble w/ Hail of Doom Arrow, Briarsheath and Shield - 122pts

12x Glade Guard w/ Standard and Musician - 162pts

12x Dryads - 144pts

Total - 998pts

The only reason I have 1 Lord and 1 Hero is because the alter kindred can't be the general, and what's the point of having a noble without any kit? Plus, with that nice-looking HoD arrow lying there...

Agnar the Howler
28-08-2010, 12:16
I guess everyone that read this thread probably died of laughter =(

Agnar the Howler
28-08-2010, 22:54
In a pathetic attempt to boost ratings here, i'm going to post up 2 more potential lists, one is another 1k, the other is a 1.25k that i'm hoping to extend to 1.5k:

Velerona Truestrike - Highborn w/ Bow of loren, Arcane Bodkins, Alter Kindred, light armour and shield - 246pts

Dalanorak Gladeshrike - Noble w/ Hail of Doom Arrow, Briarsheath - 120pts

10x Glade Guard w/ Standard and Musician - 138pts

10x Dryads - 120pts

1x Great Eagle - 50pts

1x Great Eagle - 50pts

Total - 1000pts

Sacrificed some core units and Dalanorak's shield to shove in 2 great eagles, apparently they can perform quite well, and I don't think many people will be expecting 2 at 1k.

--------------------------------------------------

Velerona Truestrike - Highborn w/ Bow of loren, Arcane Bodkins, Alter Kindred, light armour and enchanted shield - 253pts

Dalanorak Gladeshrike - Noble w/ Hail of Doom Arrow, Briarsheath and Shield - 122pts

Branchwraith w/ Annoyance of Netlings and Murder of Spites - 115pts

14x Glade Guard w/ Full Command - 192pts

12x Dryads - 144pts

1x Great Eagle - 50pts

1x Great Eagle - 50pts

Total - 1250pts

Good news everyone! Dalanorak got his shield back, and Velerona got hers upgraded to an enchanted one. The dryads and GG also got their numbers back + 2 extra GG, and I added a branchwraith in there to help the dryads with their CCs. Next boost to 1.5k might require some more dryads, if not some treekin if I can squeeze them in. This list and others based off it is meant to be more competative than my all-stick flingers, so you can give it some harder Constructive Crit.

Blackknight1239
29-08-2010, 00:33
I'm liking the lists, and I think they could do pretty well, with some strategy and planning. Honestly, I'm a big fan of the Glade Guard. Recently play an allied game with some Woodies, and 20 of the archers manged to wound a Hydra 9-10 times in just 2 turns. He died pretty quick. Just looking at the 1.25k, mostly here. I'm not sure the Lord is worth it. Sure, he can kill any 4 models on the board, but the Bow of Loren is still Str 3, so it'll struggle to do a whole lot. For 250 points, it's not doing alot. I'd suggest trading him out for either another Dryad or Glade Guard unit, or maybe a level 2 wizard. But, with the Branchwraith, you got some magic, so you're good. I think something like this would be a bit better.

Dalanorak Gladeshrike - Noble w/ Hail of Doom Arrow, Briarsheath and Shield - 122pts

Branchwraith w/ Annoyance of Netlings and Murder of Spites - 115pts

Glade Guard- 162pts
-12 Guard, Musician, Standard

Glade Guard- 162pts

Glade Guard- 162pts

Dryads- 144pts
-12 Dryads

Dryads- 144pts
-12 Dryads

Great Eagle- 50pts

Great Eagle- 50pts

This only totals to around 1111pts, so you still have a lot of wiggle room. Sure, it is ONLY 36 Glade Guard, but the Dryads will be more than worth it. But, just my opinion.

Agnar the Howler
29-08-2010, 12:21
I'm still not sure about dropping the highborn, she's M9, I9 with 5 attacks, all of which can be used whilst firing the bow of loren using the bodkins for 5 armour-ignoring attacks, coupled with the ability to move and shoot without penalties; on an M9 BS6 model that means that most of the shots are going to be hitting, which can slightly offset the lower strength (this was always going to be a problem, only glade guard have the ability to be S4 when firing their bows, and that's at short range only).

It just seems like we're looking at what could go wrong, like having 2 shots hit and 1 wound per turn, where we should be looking at what we can get from a 6-turn game and a total of 30 armour-ignoring shots. Against T4 you're looking at around 10ish kills per game if they're fully armour reliant (no ward saves etc.), against T3 such as empire, that'll increase to around 15ish casualties from a single model; if you're aiming to take out those knights that are coming up your flank, you use your M9 to move into position and then cut them down by ignoring their armour, something which WE have a hard time doing from range, with 1+ save knights being able to just shrug off most shots.

I'm not completely disregarding it, but I feel that keeping the highborn to tackle small elite units of heavy armour might be best, allowing our other units to tackle the squishier bits without having to concentrate their fire on a single unit of flanking knights.

As for the Branchwraith... I didn't see much point in making her a wizard. Lvl 1 with the Lore of Athel Loren on a more combat-y character didn't seem the best route, and when the cost of making her a wizard is almost as much as her original cost, plus how she can't take magic items to compliment, it didn't seem like an effective choice.