PDA

View Full Version : Blank/Pariah and the warp

Lord Shiv
28-08-2010, 10:05
What do you think the effects of a blank, or worse, a pariah entering the warp would be? Is it possible for them to enter it to begin with?

will564752
28-08-2010, 10:21
They can enter it behind a Geller field onboard a ship, they are still technically part of 'reality' and not directly in the Warp so nothing changes.

If they were to actually enter the warp, I imagine the sheer pressure of warp energy would merely shatter their soul. After all, blanks and pariahs can be overcome by certain amounts of warp energy.

Lupe
28-08-2010, 12:14
If they were to actually enter the warp, I imagine the sheer pressure of warp energy would merely shatter their soul. After all, blanks and pariahs can be overcome by certain amounts of warp energy.

Their chances of surviving an immersion into the warp in this manner are about the same as those of a powerful psyker. It's like swimming into a pool full of hungry sharks. It's just that psykers would be covered in blood to attract sharks, and blanks would be covered in shark pheromones to annoy them.

AndrewGPaul
28-08-2010, 15:27
What do you think the effects of a blank, or worse, a pariah entering the warp would be? Is it possible for them to enter it to begin with?

Since Culexus Assassins manage to attack targets across the Galaxy, it must be. :) In addition, neither Ciaphas Cain nor Gregor Isenhorn had any trouble shipping themselves and their staff across the Galaxy.

Overlord Krycis
29-08-2010, 14:58
Not too sure what would happen if they actually came in contact with Warp-space...but they CAN travel behind Geller fields with no problem.

...If they were to actually enter the warp, I imagine the sheer pressure of warp energy would merely shatter their soul...

Just as a side note, I thought being a blank meant you didn't have a soul.

Jonman
29-08-2010, 17:05
They would be overcome as they have no psychic powers, but then again they wouldnt be able to be tainted as they are blanks. I spose they would just die.

mrln68
29-08-2010, 17:42
Depends on the version of them you are dealing with...

Some are said to be negatives to the Warp. They have psychic energy of a sort, but it is the exact opposite of warp energy...so, something bad would happen there.

Some are said to be blanks. They have normal warp energy, but it is a calm spot...not a hot spot. In the warp, they are invisible.

Eulenspiegel
30-08-2010, 04:59
Just as a side note, I thought being a blank meant you didn't have a soul.
I always thought "soulless" was how other people referred to them, because their presence makes them very uneasy and they are very detached and aloof. Itīs just an adjective, used in a careless manner like one would say "heartless".
And if they donīt show in the warp it doesnīt necessarily mean they have no soul. They just have a soul that doesnīt show in the warp :)
(Avoiding all arguments about what constitutes a soul in the first place.)

Yet, Iīm sure thereīs more than one bit of fluff where a writer took it literally.

Balgora
30-08-2010, 07:12
I'm not sure why but the soulless debate made me think of this. (http://whiteninjacomics.com/comics/soul.shtml)

Back on topic :), would pariahs in the warp unprotected have an even stronger reaction and create a limited blob of real space making them unable to stay in the warp, and then probably get ripped apart because of the transition before being left stranded in a random place in the universe probably floating in the void somewhere?

Iuris
30-08-2010, 08:48
I keep wondering why people put so much importance on souls in 40k... they're just a warp shadow for a human...

An Eldar, OK, I'd understand, their soul is conscious upon death... but a human? It's pre-anaesthetized...

Overlord Krycis
31-08-2010, 15:36
I always thought "soulless" was how other people referred to them, because their presence makes them very uneasy and they are very detached and aloof. Itīs just an adjective, used in a careless manner like one would say "heartless".
And if they donīt show in the warp it doesnīt necessarily mean they have no soul. They just have a soul that doesnīt show in the warp :)
(Avoiding all arguments about what constitutes a soul in the first place.)

Yet, Iīm sure thereīs more than one bit of fluff where a writer took it literally.

That's probably where I got that from then. :D

MagosHereticus
08-09-2010, 10:52
souls are the interface between a concious mind and the warp, not having that interface or having only a tiny interface would make you a blank, generating negative warp energy like a pariah does would constitute an "antisoul"

however the soul is more complex than just an interface, each soul is like a reflection of the mind that creates it but it then moulds the mind that created it, it is not essential for survival though, we know that solitaires have had their soul devoured and their presence is very much like that of the pariah

Polaria
08-09-2010, 11:41
Lets assume a blank/pariah is travelling in warp and gellar fields break up, the ship is ripped to pieces and the blank/pariah is dropped into a warp. Being "soulless" he cannot be corrupted by the warp but not having psychic powers makes him unable to perceive or navigate warp. On the other hand the daemons have problem seeing him either. I assume its about 50-50 if he is ripped to parts by some warpstorm or passing daemon bumping into him or if he just dies of lack of oxygen/water/food while floating around... A noticable difference is that a "normal" human has about 99,9999% chance of being ripped to parts by daemons before lack of oxygen/water/food ever becomes a problem.

In any case he is as surely ********* as a fish ending up in middle of Sahara is.

Surgency
09-09-2010, 08:01
however the soul is more complex than just an interface, each soul is like a reflection of the mind that creates it but it then moulds the mind that created it, it is not essential for survival though, we know that solitaires have had their soul devoured and their presence is very much like that of the pariah

I dunno if i'd say its not essential for survival in the 40K universe. The most common form of possession is one where the Daemon takes the hosts soul, in order to insert the daemons own concious into the body, and keep the body alive. The inference here is that the hosts original soul did naturally what the daemon has to expend power to do.

Also, I was under the impression that Solitaires souls are claimed by Slaanesh AFTER they die, not before. They're considered to be already dead by the Eldar though, because they don't wear soulstones, and their final fate is already sealed, except for the lucky few snatched away by Cegorach, the Laughing God.

MagosHereticus
09-09-2010, 11:51
I dunno if i'd say its not essential for survival in the 40K universe. The most common form of possession is one where the Daemon takes the hosts soul, in order to insert the daemons own concious into the body, and keep the body alive. The inference here is that the hosts original soul did naturally what the daemon has to expend power to do.

Also, I was under the impression that Solitaires souls are claimed by Slaanesh AFTER they die, not before. They're considered to be already dead by the Eldar though, because they don't wear soulstones, and their final fate is already sealed, except for the lucky few snatched away by Cegorach, the Laughing God.

the harlequin source material states that they have lost their soul, how this functions with respect to slaanesh devouring them at their death is unclear

but yes, being soulless is bad/wrong/unnatural but it also confers a resistance to psychic powers and the warp