PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Lists: Help Me Choose!

Haravikk
28-08-2010, 12:34
Well, I hinted at this elsewhere, but basically as my Skaven army grows I'm looking to the future, probably far too early but hey, part of the fun is thinking about that next army :D

Anyway, my plan for the next army is to create a "challenge" list, whereby I restrict my choices and try to make an army within those restrictions. Currently I've narrowed it down to three possibilities, so here they are with a rough idea of what I'm thinking for each:

Warriors of Chaos, and only Warriors of Chaos
Quite simply the restriction here is that only units that consist of chaos warriors can be taken, which eliminates marauders and various monsters. I'm unsure on marks of chaos, as I would likely paint them more subtly with black armour and then use converted pieces and coloured icons/trim to mark them. For example, Khorne would have red trim or dark red highlights, while Tzeentch might be gold, and with appropriate pieces to match. I think I would prefer to have a predominant mark, but am not averse to a little mixing.

The list would likely be a tooled up Lord on Juggernaut because I love the model, then a suitable exalted hero with battle standard; I like the daemonic steed model though game-wise it doesn't seem worth the points, but there's nothing stopping me using it as a regular steed I think, popping on a suitable banner of my own from spare bits. A couple of low level wizards to provide magic defence would round out characters. Then it'd be all blocks of warriors, a block of chosen (converted, don't see the point in GW's models), and one or two units of knights.

Bretonnian Templars - all mounted
Quite simply the challenge for this one is a mounted army with no more than a single block of infantry, and minimal characters on foot. The list would likely be painted in a templar theme with black heraldry and far less flamboyant knights of the realm; they'd only have minor things like crests or shields to differentiate them.

List is fairly straightforward I expect, as it's just a few units of Knights of the Realm (8 knights each), a unit of Questing Knights, and a unit of Grail Knights, mainly for variety though I'd be using the Knights of the Realm boxes for all them, and doing my own green-stuff/spare bits conversions. Couple of damsels, mandatory battle standard and possible one other hero (not sure about a lord). Infantry block would possibly be battle pilgrims since they're stubborn and can gain the blessing for those handy ward saves, unlikely to use the official models though as I hate the Reliquae and am not too keen on the pilgrims either, I was thinking of using Flagellants as a base but finding appropriate shield arms for them, and just having a mounted knight as the Reliquae, either with a suitable skeleton head or just a helmet, with pilgrim(s) leading a living horse rather than stupidly pretending to be one.
A trebuchet would likely be the only form of ranged unit.

Witch Elves
Witch Elves and nothing else except a sorceress or two. And maybe another Khainite unit to fill a gap.

At 2,300 it should be possible to take Hellebron and a naked (possibly literally) supreme sorceress. Two cauldrons of blood (one as battle standard), and a level 2 sorceress with Tome of Furion. This way I have essentially two level 3 sorceresses so I can guarantee one will have Occam's Mindrazor if I want, at which point it's penalties for the enemy, maybe some pit of shades kills, but importantly a unit of Strength 8 Witch Elves with +1 attack from a cauldron :)
The rest would be units of Witch Elves, likely units of 15 fielded 6 wide as that's 30+ attacks, with poison they can hurt most enemies though only in modest amounts. I was thinking of Rune of Khaine for the hags, though that adds up quickly and could possibly be better just getting another unit for the same points.

I realise this one is a "glass cannon" army, but then that's where the challenge lies! Relies on magic and the cauldrons to boost the witch elves, or hinder the enemy enough to deal damage and hopefully roll over them in a suitably bloody frenzy.

Only other disadvantage to the army is that it's all metal models so it's the most expensive of the three at ~350 (the other two are about ~200 each). Though an all metal army seems kind of cool in its own right!

So yeah, these are the three armies! I'm interested in thoughts on them, anything that can make them work especially well, etc. Just to help me in choosing one! I'm especially interested to hear if anyone has fielded any of the above army ideas and how they got on.

It's entirely possible that I may end up doing all three of these at some point in time, but I need one to start with :)

Haravikk
29-08-2010, 12:52
13 votes (appropriate for a player with a rapidly growing Skaven army!) but no comments? Does that mean no-one has an army similar to the three I've described? If not for lack of funds then do say why! :)

Proctorkorps
29-08-2010, 17:23
i'd rather see the khainite list, just because it's so brutal and sexy
be sure to bring in executioners if you do that :D

Grovel
29-08-2010, 17:30
Just as an FYI, your Warriors list (which I voted for) can also use chariots & warshrines, as both are manned by Chaos Warriors. Both of those choices add a bit of variety to the list. All things considered the Warriors are a bit more flexible than the other two options and , IMO, look a lot better.

Haravikk
29-08-2010, 18:15
Just as an FYI, your Warriors list (which I voted for) can also use chariots & warshrines, as both are manned by Chaos Warriors. Both of those choices add a bit of variety to the list. All things considered the Warriors are a bit more flexible than the other two options and , IMO, look a lot better.
Ah heh, I completely forgot about the warshrine (partly because there's no shiny model to see on the GW site), could be a fun conversion project. I'm not too keen on the current chariot model, though I suppose there's no reason that couldn't be a conversion project as well!

Leogun_91
29-08-2010, 18:35
I voted for Witchelfs as you wanted a restricted challenge army, which kind of rules out the brettonians (that's a standard brettonia army not a restricted one) and an army of warriors isn't anything special, only witchelfs are however intresting.

Haravikk
29-08-2010, 18:40
(that's a standard brettonia army not a restricted one
Maybe under 7th, but I have a feeling not many people will be starting all mounted armies under 8th for a while unless the army book does something drastic, otherwise I expect far more mixed lists will the more common type for the immediate future.

_dandaman_
29-08-2010, 19:08
Ah heh, I completely forgot about the warshrine (partly because there's no shiny model to see on the GW site), could be a fun conversion project. I'm not too keen on the current chariot model, though I suppose there's no reason that couldn't be a conversion project as well!

One awesome chariot conversion my friend did was use chaos warrior and knight shields around tomb king chariots, pulled by chaos knight steeds. they look amazing if done right, and chariots are really fun!

w3rm
30-08-2010, 00:25
Witch elves all the way! Models are cool and its not the standard army either!