PDA

View Full Version : Skitarii - new race in 40k?

wikear
28-08-2010, 18:42
I was just wondering. You know how GW likes to release little snippets of what's to come in WD. In this months (WD369) on page 101 there's a mention of Skitarii. Also I heard that there is a new race coming, although everyone one thinks it's Chaos Dwarfs (Squats).

I think that's a start for a little conspiracy theory ;) They don't want us to know :P

pringles978
28-08-2010, 18:44
nahhh, they might relase some new models, but they are not going to bother releasing any more codexes, everyone is just going to use the blood angels dex and say everything is counts as...

Bloodknight
28-08-2010, 18:51
Skitarii are the forces of the Adeptus Mechanicus, not a race :)

andyg2006
28-08-2010, 18:56
Skitarii are the Adeptus Mechanicus war-servitors and/or just any infantry -augmented or not- which accompany Titans and defend Forge Worlds if memory serves me right.
It might make sense to put something like this in another (eg a general 'Imperial Servants', or some such similar) Codex to cover the Ordo's + Inquisition + Grey Knights etc, but you could just represent an Ad Mech army by using the Guard Codex and the elite guys as Ogryns/anyone with carapace armour/Veterans/etc.

Asymmetric
28-08-2010, 19:19
They should of just added in a 4th upgrade option for imperial guard vets called "bionics", which would of given an appropriate buff. Like +1 Toughness/Strength, etc. As awesome as the mechanicus, it's the sort of niche I would expect forgeworld to cover.

wikear
28-08-2010, 19:20
Well, yeah. Not a race per se. I meant more like force / faction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t-tauri
28-08-2010, 20:15
Please do not open speculation threads in News and rumours. Moved to 40k general.

Lord Damocles
28-08-2010, 20:28
What does the 'snippet' say exactly?

KingDeath
28-08-2010, 20:59
Well, Skitarii forces can be done with the current IG codex.
Or better, some Skitarii forces because the martial servants of the Machinegod
have always been described as a somewhat diverese bunch.

On some Forgeworlds they are barely more than well trained and equipped soldiers with some minor bionics ( inbuilt targeting systems for example )
while on others they are barely human at all. So, at least the former can be easily represented by veteran squads ( perhaps with lots of "hightech" weapons like plasmaguns and or melters? ).

The real problem imo are the heavier assets of the Mechanicus like their Praetorians and other heavy and superheavy weaponservitors. But even they might be used as armored Sentinels ( which would have the required heavy weapons as well as the armor )

So, just my idea for a Techguard army. Use veteran squads are Skitarii, Sentinels as Praetorian servitors and...well, the rest, find something :D

Archangel_Ruined
28-08-2010, 22:08
The tau codex currently does a better job of skitarii infantry, but I don't want to add any more counts as malarkey...

Born Again
29-08-2010, 02:35
AH, time to reset the squat clock...

We'd all love to see an Admech force, I'm sure, but don't hold your breath. Until they've got all their current armies taken care of, they're not even gonna start thinking about new armies.

Joewrightgm
29-08-2010, 04:02
Well, from what I gather from the last few books I've read that there is a big difference between Skitarii and tech-guard, who are the rank and file.

From what I understand, Tech-Guard are simply humans augmented with hard-wired weapons and altered to be simple line infantry.

Skitarii are to Tech-Guard what space marines are to Imperial Guard. They're gene-bulked and even more armored and armed and seem to be used as shock troops and the household troops for Titan Legions.

Then there are Praetorians. They're basically servitors hard wired to track units with Heinz 57 varieties of possible weapon out fits.

CaptainOtter
29-08-2010, 07:21
Yeah, Skitarii have been around for quite some time. It is possible for a full blown Adeptus Mechanicus force to be released, but I've never heard anything about it.

But check out the project logs on the site. There are some pretty brilliant depictions of them. Weaver's explorator force in particular is pretty fantastic.

dreadhead
29-08-2010, 13:54
It's just a general reference to the background of the campaign mentioned, but who knows one day GW might do a IG expansion centred around the Tech Guard and Skitarii.

Ironmonger
30-08-2010, 01:15
Well, from what I gather from the last few books I've read that there is a big difference between Skitarii and tech-guard, who are the rank and file.

From what I understand, Tech-Guard are simply humans augmented with hard-wired weapons and altered to be simple line infantry.

Skitarii are to Tech-Guard what space marines are to Imperial Guard. They're gene-bulked and even more armored and armed and seem to be used as shock troops and the household troops for Titan Legions.

Then there are Praetorians. They're basically servitors hard wired to track units with Heinz 57 varieties of possible weapon out fits.

Skitarii and Tech-Guard are synonyms and interchangeable.

With that said, there are plenty of units commanded by Mars, including Praetorians, Myrmidon, Cataphractoi, and on and on...

Proctorkorps
30-08-2010, 03:58
Then there are Praetorians

Praetorians? aren't they the guard regiment.. the Mordian ones except with british-er looking heads...?

they'd make a cool army, just throwing that out there (all the obscure regiments would be awesome if FW would get off their lazy bums)

Joewrightgm
30-08-2010, 04:41
Skitarii and Tech-Guard are synonyms and interchangeable.

According to Titanicus and Soul Hunter, Tech-Guard are quite different from Skitarii, who are gene-bulked monsters equipped with a horrifying array of weapons.

Praetorians? aren't they the guard regiment..

Praetorian Imperial Guard are different than Adeptus Mechanicus Praetorians, who are basically vat-grown humans that have been weaponized with treads and guns.

dreadhead
30-08-2010, 05:31
One thing with Skitarii that you have to remember is that there's a bit of a difference in how some writers talk about them. Both Dan Abnett and Graham McNeil portray them as living, breathing troops, albeit heavily altered by genetic and cybernetic enhancements.

Anthony Reynolds on the other hand had them down as noting more than combat servitors, procured from any number of sources.

KingDeath
30-08-2010, 12:55
According to Titanicus and Soul Hunter, Tech-Guard are quite different from Skitarii, who are gene-bulked monsters equipped with a horrifying array of weapons.

While the Ciaphas Cain books + the Souldrinker novels ( at least the first one ) depicted them as simple, modified humans :)
I really think it is best to agree that Skitarii can be anything between normal human soldiers with some hightech equipment to servitor-like combat monstrosities.

It all depends on the techpriest/forgeworld in question.