PDA

View Full Version : Selecting the Spell Lore for the Wizards hat

Blkc57
29-08-2010, 05:25
How have people been randomly selecting spell lores for the Wizards hat? I don't want to have to carry around a D8 to select for my magic lore but other than buying the deck of cards and randomly shuffling and pulling out a single card to choose my lore (seems unwieldy} I don't see another way. Am I even doing it correctly? I do use a random lore from the basic 8, correct?

bluesystem
29-08-2010, 05:49
How have people been randomly selecting spell lores for the Wizards hat? I don't want to have to carry around a D8 to select for my magic lore but other than buying the deck of cards and randomly shuffling and pulling out a single card to choose my lore (seems unwieldy} I don't see another way. Am I even doing it correctly? I do use a random lore from the basic 8, correct?

try this

take them in the order they are in the book and divide into two groups:

1234 5678

roll a d6
1-3 first half, 4-6 second half.

split again into two equal groups.

4+ it again. repeat a final time.

Thurizdan
29-08-2010, 05:51
I could be wrong about this, but could you roll a normal D6 then another one counting 1-2 as 0, 3-4 as 1 and 5-6 as 2? That might be a bit skewed...

TheSanityAssassin
29-08-2010, 06:16
I bought a D8. There's hundreds of them around most gaming stores, and they sell for like 25 cents....
And that's in CANADA!

I note now that you said you didn't want one. Really, they fit quite easily in an army case next to the Wizard's Hat character....I think it's by far the easiest way.

Enigmatik1
29-08-2010, 06:22
I roll a d8, since I'm also a D&D player, I have plenty and roll 2D6 one for each spell.

My gaming group decided that if I roll duplicates, I get to choose my second spell like any other wizard and I can always swap any spell I roll for the signature spell should I choose.

It works for me. :)

Chris_
29-08-2010, 07:09
I roll a d8, since I'm also a D&D player, I have plenty and roll 2D6 one for each spell.

My gaming group decided that if I roll duplicates, I get to choose my second spell like any other wizard and I can always swap any spell I roll for the signature spell should I choose.

It works for me. :)This is what I do too. The item only states that the lore is random and that he is a lvl 2 wizard so obviously he follows the rules for wizards in general except for the one about random lore.

Sparowl
29-08-2010, 07:26
Our local Wizard Hat dude just got a d8 from one of the guys who roleplays at the store. He didn't even get charged for it.

If you really really don't want a d8 (easiest way, though), do as suggested above.

d6

1-3, first 4 rulebook lores
4-6 second 4 rulebook lores

Roll the d6 again, numbering them off, rerolling 5-6.