PDA

View Full Version : Beastmen Ungor base size?

Necros
29-08-2010, 20:37
Did a search and couldn't really find the answer...

I'm digging out my beastmen... I don't have the latest army book (yet) but .. are ungors on the small 20mm bases now? can't tell exactly from the pictures on gw's site but it looks like they are;

if so... why? now I gotta rebase all my models? :( fooey!

or are 25mm bases still ok since I'm using "the bases they came with" ?

lordlorien
29-08-2010, 20:43
Well the new ones are supplied with 20mm bases so I would go with them really.

Wishing
29-08-2010, 22:49
As far as I can tell, base sizes seems like an intentional grey area, where players are left to decide amongst themselves what base sizes they feel are appropriate. As such, as long as the rules don't specify that a given model has to have a certain base size, I don't think you should feel obliged to rebase your models every time GW decides to include a new base size with some part of their range.

Ultimate Life Form
29-08-2010, 23:19
Actually the rules state that a model should be put on the base it came with, which is why my Verminlord continues to run around on 40mm.

Now what should I do about my Hellpit Abomination, which came with a round base? :shifty:

enygma7
30-08-2010, 00:02
Yes, ungors are now on 20mm bases. They were originally on 20mm bases but then GW changed them to 25mm when they went to mixed beast hordes so they'd rank up. Now ungors have gone back to being seperate units they've gone back to being on 20mm bases. Kind of annoying, especially for the really long term beasts players who'll now be rebasing their ungor for the 2nd time.

Rules wise you could get away with leaving them as is (especially as its a disadvantage) although you won't be able to mix them with new models and some players/tourni organisers might give you problems.

Necros
30-08-2010, 00:28
I don't do tourneys and mostly just play friendly games in my club so I doubt it would be a problem for games. But, I was thinking about rebasing my army to use magnets more effectively.

My concern though is that my army is all converted from 40k Kroot models, and the 25mm models sometimes don't rank up that good so switching to 20mm might be even tougher. I only have about 15 or so ungors right now so I guess it's not a huge deal

nzdarkelf
30-08-2010, 01:08
Actually the rules state that a model should be put on the base it came with...

Agreed. This was my argument for NOT rebasing my Ungors when the Beastman Armybook was released. It was solely because I liked the basing I had with them and didn't wish to redo it.
Now with 8th there is a real advantage by being on 20mm bases, as potentially with some reinforcements painted up (which will come supplied with 20mm bases!) my horde Ungors will be fighting in 4 ranks.

By being more spaced out on 25mm your Ungors make get a small advantage from template attacks, but will rank up in combat with less figures in base contact. That is a disadvantage to you, and will happen more often than taking template damage. Do whatever suits yourself. If an opponent raises the issue (if you are on 25's) then just point this out.

AngelofSorrow
30-08-2010, 03:24
I didn't want to bother rebasing mine but I did buy some new ones an those are 20s while the rest are on 25 s

Necros
30-08-2010, 05:03
I guess I'll just leave as is for now and just get a couple games in here and there and then when I have the time to sit down and do it I'll start rebasing them. I'll just have to assemble them so they can rank together good and hope for the best :)

mrtn
30-08-2010, 12:48
I rebased mine, didn't take that long. Managed to slice off all the basing, so I just trimmed that down a bit and glued it to the new base.

Wishing
30-08-2010, 15:30
Actually the rules state that a model should be put on the base it came with, which is why my Verminlord continues to run around on 40mm.

Now what should I do about my Hellpit Abomination, which came with a round base? :shifty:

Excellent argument for why that rule is totally meaningless. :) What if you bought your model on ebay and it didn't come with a base? Or it's a scratch-built counts-as model?

I'm presuming the intention of the "what it came with" rule is "go down to your local GW store right now, find the model in question on the shelf, see what base it comes with - that's how we want you to base it". Which is fair enough, though then they should maybe put a consolidated list up on their website with info about what base size each model is currently associated with, to save people some time. And it doesn't solve the issue of models in the army list that don't actually exist and so have to be scratch built to be fielded.

decker_cky
30-08-2010, 17:40
I think you presume too much there. Ungors on 25mm bases or 20mm bases are both perfectly legal. I think you probably want to save space in your battle line and maximize attacks, but there's nothing preventing 25mm ungors, which some ungor models did come with.

DaddyO
15-11-2010, 05:02
Due to the newest codex and rule book, the basic rules have changed from last edition. These are my own points of view...:)

Ugors now come with (20mm bases) due to the fact they are the weaker of the Beastmen, equal to basic human infantry.

They are no longer benifit from the Skirmishers rules.

You no longer get rank bonus for 4 men in front rank. Know you need 5 to get your rank bonuses.
(4x25mm bases equal 5x20mm bases in size.)
Only Raiders now get the Skirmishers rule now......

In a nutshell it makes sense that they would be on the smaller (20mm) bases, due to the fact they are equal to basic infantry units . I also made note units like lizardmen/Orcs/Chaoes ect. with (S.T.) stats 0ver 3 use medium bases. :D thanks for your time ..

H33D
15-11-2010, 05:48
What about Dwarves which have some of the most elite infantry in the game but are all on 20mm bases? :P

Wakerofgods
15-11-2010, 09:00
I wouldn't have a probelm playing against 25mm based ungors.

But (IMO) there is no real question as to what base they should be on and the answer is a clear 20mm.

AMWOOD co
16-11-2010, 01:19
What about Dwarves which have some of the most elite infantry in the game but are all on 20mm bases? :P

That's why stunties cost so much compared to an Orc. That and the better WS... and Ld... and the marching... and the armour... blast it all...

jumai
20-11-2010, 19:11
I think you presume too much there. Ungors on 25mm bases or 20mm bases are both perfectly legal. I think you probably want to save space in your battle line and maximize attacks, but there's nothing preventing 25mm ungors, which some ungor models did come with.

Are 25mm Ungor herds still fine if you start putting Wargor BSBs in there? Someone might ask about that fishy smell when your spear horde grabs 40 attack dice and says "S4 rerollable." Especially after you admit they're 6 points each.

UberBeast
20-11-2010, 19:40
You've got to put those ungors on 20mm bases if you plan on playing anything but a friendly game. If you've already got them based you can try taking a pair of clippers and removing everything of the larger base beneath them except the part they are standing on. Then just glue the trimmed upper half of the old base to the top of a newer smaller base.

This will let you save any flocking and basing material you might have used and with a little work on the edges will actually look pretty nice.

mrtn
20-11-2010, 23:18
Are 25mm Ungor herds still fine if you start putting Wargor BSBs in there? Someone might ask about that fishy smell when your spear horde grabs 40 attack dice and says "S4 rerollable." Especially after you admit they're 6 points each.

You can still do that with 20 mm bases, you just have to put the BSB on the side of the unit.

I'd rather do that so I can get full command.

snottlebocket
21-11-2010, 13:57
Funny thing is Ungor have had both 20mm and 25mm bases over the years. So basing them on whatever they came with doesn't really create a standard in this case.

Sylass
21-11-2010, 14:18
Pre-6th edition standard was 20mm, 6/7th edition standard was 25mm and 8th edition standard is 20mm again. Even in friendly games I'd try to fulfil these base sizes (well, I already did and rebased all my Ungors).

AlphariusOmegon20
22-11-2010, 16:11
I rebased mine, and I had a 5K army that had to be done, and about half was Ungors. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Give rebasing them a try.