PDA

View Full Version : Demon world that can warp parts of its self to other planets?

magnificent*
29-08-2010, 21:00
I want help with an idea I had on the weekend.

I am thinking of a intelligent planet that can put parts of itself into warpspace. This means my army does not need a ship it just needs a base because the whole base can warp.

I am thinking my base will have a large open central shafts with turbines in the center. The idea being that when it is on the demon wolrd the central shaft would be on top on one of the deamon worlds small volcanoes, and this would provide power.

There would also be a exectution platform for anyone that does not worship the planet.

I also want a alot of vents, so the planet can "speak" by venting steam out of its volcano.

Lord Damocles
29-08-2010, 21:25
You should get hold of 'Seven Views of Uhlguth's Passing' in the Planetkill anthology.

Dakkagor
30-08-2010, 11:46
A daemon world can look however you want, the followers of chaos are not noted for uniformity and sanity. I generally find a good way of creating background is think of a reason why something is like that, then work forwards and backwards as appropriate until the idea is fully fleshed out. So, why is the planet used as transport instead of a ship, why does it have these vents and such?

PariahX
30-08-2010, 23:41
Aaargh, apologies for the bad link. Got it on google images with adblock installed; didn't realise.

magnificent*
01-09-2010, 03:10
A daemon world can look however you want, the followers of chaos are not noted for uniformity and sanity. I generally find a good way of creating background is think of a reason why something is like that, then work forwards and backwards as appropriate until the idea is fully fleshed out. So, why is the planet used as transport instead of a ship, why does it have these vents and such?

My army does not look like it can get around on a ship or is part of a larger army.

For example have a large variety of orks and some are on big mutant horses, They don't seem to the sort that could fit on a ship.

I also really like the concept of an intelligent planet that can warp parts of itself to other places and the planet wants to have followers that use technology to enhance the planets powers, I want the planets populations to currently be a bit primitive but the planet is helping them develop technology so it can enhance it's powers.

trolly
01-09-2010, 03:23
IIRC, in second grey knight novel, dark mechanicum move a forge world.
To do so they need high number of human sacrifices, and I don't thing that an effective way to travel.
And moved a planet instantly close to other planet will cause natural disaster.
What the point of war then? just stay on demon planet and let the big planet work?

magnificent*
01-09-2010, 21:09
IIRC, in second grey knight novel, dark mechanicum move a forge world.
To do so they need high number of human sacrifices, and I don't thing that an effective way to travel.
And moved a planet instantly close to other planet will cause natural disaster.
What the point of war then? just stay on demon planet and let the big planet work?

The planet is working for itself not chaos, It wants technology to enhance its powers, so it looks for new technology.

madd0ct0r
02-09-2010, 10:00
Ok. so sentient planet, that desires to increase it's tech level and power compared to other things in the warp, and currently uses lots of mutants.

So far, so Tzeentech. Since you seem to want to stay away from the big four, it could be controlled by:

1. Demon Prince of Tzeentech (the DP's have a certain amount of independance)

2. Minor Warp Being (Greater Demon of hardware crashes for example)
Formed around a minor Warp Emotion and a accidental form of worship (please work, please work ect) the young demon bound itself into a planet as protection from the larger predators around it.

3. Dark Mechnanicus experiment has gone a bit wrong...

Why orks though?

magnificent*
02-09-2010, 11:15
orks look like they have lower tech and I have hundreds of orks.

If the planet could warp parts of itself it could capture some orks and breed them because they would help with the technology.

Otterpot
03-09-2010, 01:55
Sounds plausible. Orks marooned on daemon planet. Planet controlled by some greater/warp entity that the orks worship. They might think its Gork or maybe its Mork? Anyway, the planet moves them to other planets to cause havoc and loot. It's your background, make it how you want it. The 40k universe is large enough for just about anything.

feno12
03-09-2010, 04:55
Have it controlled by a daemon prince who has bred the orks to work for him, make them believe the daemon prince is the embodiment of gork (or mork) with the planet as some sort of symbol of their / his power. Orks respect strength above all else (how new warbosses are chosen etc) bleh, just an idea :p

magnificent*
04-09-2010, 08:55
Have it controlled by a daemon prince who has bred the orks to work for him, make them believe the daemon prince is the embodiment of gork (or mork) with the planet as some sort of symbol of their / his power. Orks respect strength above all else (how new warbosses are chosen etc) bleh, just an idea :p

The planet use volcanoes and pipe organ thingys over steam vents to convince the orks it is alive and is the big boss

Kage2020
04-09-2010, 18:45
If you haven't done so already, you might want to check out such things as War of the Worlds or Hellgate London. Chaos cultists performing large rituals to summon forth the world of a daemon, etc.

Kage

Carlos
07-09-2010, 07:11
My army does not look like it can get around on a ship or is part of a larger army.

For example have a large variety of orks and some are on big mutant horses, They don't seem to the sort that could fit on a ship.

I also really like the concept of an intelligent planet that can warp parts of itself to other places and the planet wants to have followers that use technology to enhance the planets powers, I want the planets populations to currently be a bit primitive but the planet is helping them develop technology so it can enhance it's powers.

Have you played Metroid Corruption? That has a sentient planet called Phaze that fires off asteroids infected with its Phazon radiation at other worlds to infect them and spread its corruption.

Yours could be along similar lines with the planet being a daemon world that ejects corrupted asteroids into the warp to infect other worlds.
Your Orkz, being as hardy and kunnin' as they are could have crash-landed on the world and having a degree of immunity to its effects either hitch a ride on the asteroids to invade other worlds or better yet have them be under the influence of the planet itself. You could use this to explain your mutant units.