PDA

View Full Version : 2500pts VC's for Orktoberfest

Dreadgrass
29-08-2010, 23:31
Hi all,

Want ot get my VC's up and running for Orktoberfest (will be my 1st 8th ed. tourney!) so wanted to get some input on the list before I start buying/ converting.

The list as it stands:

Vampire Lord - Lvl.3, Forbidden Lore (Light), Master of the Black Arts, Helm of Commandment, Talisman of Preservation, Dispel Scroll
Lore of Light gives a lot of good buffing options for our generally low stats, and helps against gunlines and the like as well.

Necromancer (Invocation of Nehek) - Staff of Damnation
Invocation spammer and the staff will be handy for upping my damage output.

Wight King - Great Weapon, BSB, Drakenhoff Banner
Sits in my Great weapon waving Graveguard unit and gives them regen. Greatly upping their survivability.

Wight King - Great Weapon, Flayed Hauberk, Gem of Blood
Character hunter, will go after mages/ BSB's or sit in the GG with shields for a bit more punch.

My characters, Lord and Necro sit in skellie bunker, BSB goes in GW Grave guard, Wight King #2 goes in HW&Shield Grave guard.

21x Ghouls
21x Ghouls
21x Ghouls
Deploy 7x3. Have a decent weight of Poisoned attacks and T4 so I'm hoping they'll be able to see off the majority of minor threats and cover the Graveguards flanks.

14x Skellies (HW & Shield) - standard, musician
Lord Bunker... thats about it!

20x Grave Guard (Heavy armour, HW & Shield) - full command, Standard of Strigos
Should gain good returns from Light buffs (Initiative actually matters to these guys and ASF with Killing Blow is golden!

20x Grave Guard ( Heavy armour, Great Weapon) - full command, Banner of Barrows
Harder hitting than the HW&S unit, but a touch flimsier and striking last... hence the Drakenhoff banner. With the helm though will be hitting and wounding most enemies on 2's

4x Blood Knights - Musician
Gives a "Vampire" footprint a bit further away from the mainline and will soak up fire. If they get ignored and hit home they dish out 12 Strength 7 attacks so should make a dent! Will aim to combine their charge with ghouls to maximise damage and help mitigate losses via Combat Res.

Got 112pts left, what do you think? I'm toying with the idea of swapping out the Necromancer for a vampire with Lore of Metal (more useful buffs) and the staff.... thoughts?

Maoriboy007
29-08-2010, 23:47
Hi all,

Want ot get my VC's up and running for Orktoberfest (will be my 1st 8th ed. tourney!) so wanted to get some input on the list before I start buying/ converting.

The list as it stands:

Vampire Lord - Lvl.3, Forbidden Lore (Light), Master of the Black Arts, Helm of Commandment, Talisman of Preservation, Dispel Scroll
Lore of Light gives a lot of good buffing options for our generally low stats, and helps against gunlines and the like as well.

Necromancer (Invocation of Nehek) - Staff of Damnation

Sits in my Great weapon waving Graveguard unit and gives them regen. Greatly upping their survivability.

Wight King - Great Weapon, Flayed Hauberk, Gem of Blood
Character hunter, will go after mages/ BSB's or sit in the GG with shields for a bit more punch.

My characters, Lord and Necro sit in skellie bunker, BSB goes in GW Grave guard, Wight King #2 goes in HW&Shield Grave guard.

21x Ghouls
21x Ghouls
21x Ghouls
Deploy 7x3. Have a decent weight of Poisoned attacks and T4 so I'm hoping they'll be able to see off the majority of minor threats and cover the Graveguards flanks.

14x Skellies (HW & Shield) - standard, musician

20x Grave Guard (Heavy armour, HW & Shield) - full command, Standard of Strigos
Should gain good returns from Light buffs (Initiative actually matters to these guys and ASF with Killing Blow is golden!

Harder hitting than the HW&S unit, but a touch flimsier and striking last... hence the Drakenhoff banner. With the helm though will be hitting and wounding most enemies on 2's

Gives a "Vampire" footprint a bit further away from the mainline and will soak up fire. If they get ignored and hit home they dish out 12 Strength 7 attacks so should make a dent! Will aim to combine their charge with ghouls to maximise damage and help mitigate losses via Combat Res.

Got 112pts left, what do you think? I'm toying with the idea of swapping out the Necromancer for a vampire with Lore of Metal (more useful buffs) and the staff.... thoughts?

A Forbidden Lore Vampire with Lore of Vampires would be a better investment, its handy having the option of vanhels or summon Horde when you need it.
Consider replacing the gem of blood with the dawnstone, a re-rollable 2+ armour save is not to be sniffed at.
You could scare your opponants by making those GG into a 30-40 strong unit.

Dreadgrass
30-08-2010, 04:40
Thanks for the reply!

A Forbidden Lore Vampire with Lore of Vampires would be a better investment, its handy having the option of vanhels or summon Horde when you need it.

Its an interesting idea, but Id really need something to up his magic level then, so To have both Forbidden Lore and a decent casting level I'd need a 2nd level 3... I think the spells I'd be aiming for (read: Summon Undead Horde) needs a decent caster level. Could squeeze in the Book of Arkhan somewhere for VHD though possibly...

Consider replacing the gem of blood with the dawnstone, a re-rollable 2+ armour save is not to be sniffed at.

True, am thinking of mounting the challenge-wight and giving him Dawnstone, Lance, and Gem of Blood. decent damage output, 2+ save with re-roll plus the rebound... He'd be a kamikaze BSB/ Magelord hunter... though maybe Gem of Blood + Sword of Kings might fill this role better...?

You could scare your opponants by making those GG into a 30-40 strong unit.

True, it'd have a hell of a fear factor t it, but I think 2 units of 21 (7x3 with Wight King) could give me better battlefield presence (ie. more damage spread into multiple zones of the battlefield)....

So, new thoughts so far with the leftovers is 2 units of 5 wolves (archery screens primarily. with Pha's Illumination thats -2 to hit whatevers behind them... also, warmachine hunting potential), plus an additional Hand weapon and shield GG (round out the numbers for 7x3 with the King going hunting) and mounting up the 2nd Wight King as above...

What do you all think?

Maoriboy007
30-08-2010, 06:00
Personally I'd replace the necro with a vampire hero with forbidden lore (Vampire Lore) and Summon Ghouls
He's handier to spam invocation and you might find having Summon Undead Horde and Vanhels on hand when you need it very handy indeed.

Dawnstone and Gem of Blood are both Talismans, you'll have to settle for one or the other.

Instsbility hurts smaller undead units, especially in the face of Steadfast Strikeback and Horde rules, bigger could be better.

thesheriff
30-08-2010, 08:58
you could alays give the necro sceptre of de nirot instead for invocation spam?

Paraelix
31-08-2010, 05:17
I don't think that "bunker" is very safe... Sorry Deadgrass :P

Dreadgrass
31-08-2010, 11:28
Okay, thanks for the input.... take 2!

Vampire Lord - Lvl.3, Forbidden Lore (Light), Master of the Black Arts, Summon Skeletons, Helm of Commandment, Talisman of Preservation, Dispel Scroll
Added Summon Skellies to build up the bunker block as I'm trying to skimp on the points.

Necromancer (Invocation of Nehek) - +1 spell (Vanhels Danse), Staff of Damnation
Added Vanhels for a bit more flexibility.

Wight King - Sword of Kings, Tricksters Other Shard, Dragonhelm
Re-shuffled the items to suit his role a little better I think...

30x Ghouls
30x Ghouls
Have a decent weight of Poisoned attacks and T4 so I'm hoping they'll be able to see off the majority of minor threats and cover the Graveguards flanks.
Bulked them out to keep efficiency as long as possible. Meant dropping 1 unit though, not certain if the loss of flexibility is compensated for by bigger units...

17x Skellies (HW & Shield) - standard, musician
A few more bodies (literally) will house Necro and Lord and hopefully not see combat. Main idea is to soak up shooting/ templates (look out sir) though can be grown to a usable size if needs must.

21x Grave Guard (Heavy armour, HW & Shield) - full command, Standard of Strigos.
Should gain good returns from Light buffs (Initiative actually matters to these guys and ASF with Killing Blow is golden!)Considering Swaping the banner for the Screaming Banner, having a better chance of getting the enemy to WS1 seems a good investment... thoughts? Also, upped it by 1 so its not imperative to have the character-hunting Wight in here... would be good for the re-rolls to hit though!

What do you think of the changes? I'd like to squeeze in a vamp instead of the Necro, but not sure what to drop...

Thoughts? suggestions? would really appreciate some further C&C to really get off to a good start (especially with my usual painting timetable lol!)