PDA

View Full Version : Strength in Numbers vs. Death Magic

ce13
29-08-2010, 23:41
Can Skaven add their ranks to their leadership when having spirit leach cast on them from death magic that says they add their unmodified leadership to the roll?

Little Joe
30-08-2010, 00:08
Well the spell targets a single model at it's Ld. So no strength in numbers, that is reserved for units. No use of your general's Ld either, and since it is not a Ld-test as such no re-roll from a BSB.

If I take this question onward and expand it to a skaven unit, the answer would be yes. Based on page 33 Skaven armybook, the rules on strength in numbers, last paragraph: "If for any reason a skaven unit loses it's rank bonus, it also loses it's leadership bonus.". So long as you have ranks this should work, also for weapon teams using the Ld of their parent unit. But this is not the case here, can't think of a reason for it to happen anyway.

sulla
30-08-2010, 03:57
It does mention unmodified Ld in the spell though. Pretty sure SiN modifies Ld, since it's a bonus.

T10
30-08-2010, 07:52
Can Skaven add their ranks to their leadership when having spirit leach cast on them from death magic that says they add their unmodified leadership to the roll?

I fail to see how it is possible to get confused here: Surely "unmodified" can only be taken to mean that you don't apply modifiers. When is this even debatable?

-T10

Chaos Undecided
30-08-2010, 08:57
Probably when its your warlord or greyseer about to have his soul ripped out :p

But as others have said its "unmodified" so no SIN.

Korraz
30-08-2010, 09:35
I can see this descending in the "Steadfast and SiN"-Discussion again.

Teongpeng
30-08-2010, 12:53
I can see this descending in the "Steadfast and SiN"-Discussion again.not going to happen as steadfast/stubborn only applies to breaktests modified by CR.

Kevlar
31-08-2010, 02:35
Hard to believe skaven have a 7 page faq and strength in numbers was never addressed once.

Makrar
31-08-2010, 06:22
SiN only applies to LD based tests, Which I believe lore of death is not (Strictly speaking, role a dice to add to your leadership and compare is not a test)

Being unmodified has nothing to do with it as the army book specifically states that Skaven modify all LD tests. Nor does the single model targeting change anything either.

So no, it doesnt work. Go get some MR

Anyways thats how I understand the rules and lost my grey seer to this and even rolled a 6 :wtf: Needless to say I learnt my lesson :D

Rooze
31-08-2010, 10:15
It is FAQ'ed, that SIN ís applied when testing for Steadfast (or Stubborn for that matter), so it is safe to assume that this ALSO applies on ANY Ld-based test.

Wilger
31-08-2010, 13:34
It is FAQ'ed, that SIN ís applied when testing for Steadfast (or Stubborn for that matter), so it is safe to assume that this ALSO applies on ANY Ld-based test.

Which is no longer in the FAQ1.1 or my eyes must be deceiving me.

Kalandros
31-08-2010, 17:14

No because Steadfast does not ignore modifiers to Leadership, it ignores modifiers from combat resolution.

decker_cky
31-08-2010, 20:23
Luckily....skaven have easy access to ward saves and magic resistance, so key characters should have a 2+ save against those spells.

Casshole
01-09-2010, 04:27
[QUOTE=Makrar;4951863]Being unmodified has nothing to do with it as the army book specifically states that Skaven modify all LD testsQUOTE]

...huh?

I think its pretty fair to say that SiN is a modifier. You prove my point with your own bolded words.

I am actually very afraid for my Skaven characters now.

edit: i suck with forum use sorry bout that

Rooze
01-09-2010, 04:54
Which is no longer in the FAQ1.1 or my eyes must be deceiving me.

Ah, very true, I had an older version. In the 1.1, it now says in clarification/ errata on SiN: "Change the second sentence of the first paragraph to “Units
with the Strength in Numbers special rule add their current
rank bonus to their Leadership value for any Leadership test.” That must surely imply Steadfast as well...?

decker_cky
01-09-2010, 05:57
Steadfast is covered by the change in the BRB FAQ which allows modifiers aside from combat resolution modifiers.