PDA

View Full Version : Colour coding on the Horus Heresy novels.

Toramino
30-08-2010, 00:24
So I noticed the other week that the HH books all have all little coloured strip at the top of the spine, but what its for I cant figure out. As it stands its like this:

The opening trilogy is red
A Thousand Sons and Legion are purple
Fulgrim is blue
The rest are all green

There is obviously some connection or category that causes the books to be placed in a colour but I cant figure it out. Any ideas?

BlackLegion
30-08-2010, 16:05
I guess purple = blue.

Red = opening trilogy
blue/purple = traitors as main characters
green = loyalists as main characters

Hunger
31-08-2010, 11:13
Hah, I have been wondering this same thing myself, and came to the same conclusion as BlackLegion, but it seems a little, er, pointless. Also, the hues of the greens are slightly different - some are darker, and the purple one can't be a mistake.

Anyone offer an alternative explanation?

Lord Damocles
31-08-2010, 11:17
Anyone offer an alternative explanation?
Random?
In the way that White Dwarf spines are largely randomly coloured?

blongbling
09-09-2010, 13:47
actually it relates to the print run. The more times they have reprinted it the more variations on the colour you get. Sadly I have three different colour coded Horus Heresy books

RobC
10-09-2010, 10:52
Blongbling: the print run is denoted by the colour of the metallic finish. Gold = 1st print run, silver = 2nd, bronze = everything else.

blongbling
10-09-2010, 11:00
ah my bad, that is what I thought we were discussing :)

Wyrmwood
10-09-2010, 16:50
I thought that they represented different 'arcs' or something.

Toramino
11-09-2010, 04:03
I thought that they represented different 'arcs' or something.

Possibly. Its obvious they are tied together somehow, since the opening trilogy is all red and all the books from the perspective of the traitor legions have been purple as noted in this thread.

I know that Aaron Dembski Bowden knows what they are for but im pretty sure he wont be telling us..

calpol
02-01-2011, 18:48
My opinion is that Red is the most severe in helping the treachery, blue shows the 'secondary traitors' who are slightly reluctant, green is pure loyalist or tales of loyalist struggles, and purple demonstrates those who aided the treachery unknowingly -

RED -First 3 - Horus (Prime traitor)
BLUE - Fulgrim, The first heretic, - Fulgrim is a traitor, but has gone too far to go back ( so the daemon grants him oblivion) and Lorgar, although the architect of the heresy, despises that it has come to a fight between his brothers.
PURPLE - Legion, A Thousand sons, Prospero Burns - Alpharus and Omegon have to fight for the traitors for the greater good, but they do it without enthusiasm. The thousand sons are turned traitor because of the space wolves attack. And the space wolves helped the treachery in doing so, so they are also stained.
GREEN - Battle for the abyss, Mechanicum, Tales of Heresy, Fallen Angels, Nemesis - All Tales of Imperial viewpoint, if not victory. can't speak for the flight of the eisenstein or descent of angels as I don't have them :/ opinions?

McLucien18
04-01-2011, 19:57
Eisenstein is green. Fits with the imperial perspective logic...

wilsongrahams
06-01-2011, 18:38
Whether this is right or not I don't know, but I was told that it was due to the timeline of the Horus Heresy, with it being Crusade times, Development stage (turning traitor and Isstvan etc) and the Siege stage. The other was for stories that span throughout a large quantity of this time and aren't short in their time period.

This would fit with the books not being read from 1 to 15 in chronological order but I haven't even looked to check it out.

The second Dark Angels novel is certainly a much later book and covers a longer time period than many others released at the same time.

Jedi152
11-01-2011, 09:13
I seem to recall that it was asked on the old Black Library forums and Christian Dunn (or someone from BL, can't really remember) said they don't mean anything.