PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Space Marine codex based on what models I got available (help needed)

AdarII
30-08-2010, 01:29
I have gotten some very helpful information to help me find a suitable use for a small number of Space Marines with bolt pistol and close combat weapon (I haven't played since 4th edition so I am out of the looop) but I have have picked up far more BP and CCW marines than I remember.

Therefor I have realised that playing Vanilla Marines would require me to buy far more new models than I would have to if I decide to play a more suitable flavor of marines. So basicly I need help to choose the right codex, being able to create a competitive while buying the minimum amount of minitatures is my priority (I don't mind less than 50-50 odds but I do not want to auto loose versus some opponents).

What I have:
2 Captains with Power Fists
Chaplain
Techmarine
Librarian

20 Marines with bolters
30 Marines with bolt pistol and close combat weapon
4 Scouts with Sniper Rifle
11 Scouts with BP and CCW.
1 Scout with heavy bolter

4 Terminators with stombolter and power fist
1 Terminator with assault cannon
1 Terminator with heavy flamer
1 Terminator with lightning claws

1 Dreadnought with assault cannon

1 Whirlwind.

1 Land speeder with heavy bolter or multimelta

5 Marines with missile launchers
3 Marines with heavy bolters
6 Marines with power weapons
3 Marines with power fists
2 Marines with Lascannons
1 Marine with Plasma Cannon

Erwos
30-08-2010, 01:57
I would vote for Blood Angels. Buy some Razorbacks and jump packs (GW sells them in packs of five) and they're assault marines.

Grand Master Raziel
30-08-2010, 02:28
I also think Blood Angels are your best bet for using the models you have. I wouldn't go trying to add jump packs to already assembled models, however. Just buy a lot of Rhinos for your force. The boys with pistol+ccw can be Assault Squads riding in Rhinos, and the boys with bolters can be Tac Squads riding in Rhinos. Get some Marines with flamers and meltaguns to add to your squads (two per Assault Squad, one per Tac Squad), use models with power fists as your sergeants (probably best to use the Captains this way - call them senior sergeants or something), organize your heavy weapon toters into Dev Squads (maybe with a couple in your Tac Squads), and you'll have a pretty good force.

Another thought - you could use them as Space Wolves. The bp+ccw Marines can be Blood Claws and the bolter Marines can be Grey Hunters. I personally am not as keen on that idea, but it'd work, and it's doable with what you have.

Someone will likely mention Black Templars, and it's worth thinking about. However, the BTs don't get access to Whirlwinds or Devastator Squads, which will make it hard to use a lot of the models you have. I also believe you wouldn't be able to use the sniper Scouts or the HB-armed Scout. So, the BTs are a possibility, but either the BAs or the SWs are a better bet with what you're got.

MajorWesJanson
30-08-2010, 02:41
I'd go with wolves. Marines with BP/CCW and such are Blood Claws, Heavy Weapons for Long Fangs, Terminators and other Marines as Wolf Guard, Then Lords and Rune Priests.

Erwos
30-08-2010, 14:30
I wouldn't go trying to add jump packs to already assembled models, however.
Eh, I've done this before, it works. You have to be cognizant of which models you're picking for the conversion, but it's pretty simple after that.

R0ot
30-08-2010, 17:01
Yeah blood angels or Vanilla, everything else your losing an awful lot of stuff.

Lothlanathorian
31-08-2010, 01:35
Yeah blood angels or Vanilla, everything else your losing an awful lot of stuff.

This. As mentioned previously, Rhinos for the BP/CCW Marines.

AdarII
31-08-2010, 15:44
I also think Blood Angels are your best bet for using the models you have. I wouldn't go trying to add jump packs to already assembled models, however. Just buy a lot of Rhinos for your force. The boys with pistol+ccw can be Assault Squads riding in Rhinos, and the boys with bolters can be Tac Squads riding in Rhinos. Get some Marines with flamers and meltaguns to add to your squads (two per Assault Squad, one per Tac Squad), use models with power fists as your sergeants (probably best to use the Captains this way - call them senior sergeants or something), organize your heavy weapon toters into Dev Squads (maybe with a couple in your Tac Squads), and you'll have a pretty good force.

Another thought - you could use them as Space Wolves. The bp+ccw Marines can be Blood Claws and the bolter Marines can be Grey Hunters. I personally am not as keen on that idea, but it'd work, and it's doable with what you have.

Is there any specific part that make the Space Wolves and unattractive solution? The whole "Vikings who ride wolves in space" makes me seriously relucant to play them but BAs reputation as powerful makes me abit relucant to try them (especially since my marines are ultramarines blue and black...)

I do however love the BA fluff and I got some good ideas regarding the background of the chapter that could become really cool and fluffy despite the colours.

This. As mentioned previously, Rhinos for the BP/CCW Marines.

I was thinking about Drop Pods, they are fairly cool and I get them for free with the Assault Squads in return for the jump packs.

Erwos
31-08-2010, 16:28
Is there any specific part that make the Space Wolves and unattractive solution? The whole "Vikings who ride wolves in space" makes me seriously relucant to play them but BAs reputation as powerful makes me abit relucant to try them (especially since my marines are ultramarines blue and black...)
Space Wolves are, in my humble opinion, more powerful than BAs. I would not lend allegations of cheese deter you from BA.

Maskedman5oh4
31-08-2010, 16:30
This thread sounds like "help me justify using the most powerdul codex thx." :rolleyes:

Sorros
31-08-2010, 20:43
Wolves and Angels are relatively balanced with each other, I don't think you'll get a terribly good advantage from either.

I would say Wolves, as others said, Long Fangs are just heavy weapons, blood claws are BP/CCWs, and grey huntards are bolter boys. You could just claim the chaplains or whatever HQ are rune priests.

AdarII
31-08-2010, 21:18
Thank you everyone. I am with 90 % certainity going for Blood Angels (do whirlwinds still move forwards on 1s?) since one of my friends already play Space Wolves and I got a really nice background story coming up (I hope to post a write up next month in the background forum).

It is also nice to see that the likelihood of a poster being helpful is equivalent to making a 2+ roll. No need to whine about the good old times at Portent :D.

This thread sounds like "help me justify using the most powerdul codex thx." :rolleyes:

And we all know that the best way to create a cheesy army is to buy models, wait 4 years for two new editions to arrive and then choose the codex that will force you to spend the least money to make the army playable :rolleyes:.

Sir_Turalyon
31-08-2010, 23:34
Space Wolves are probably more customizable (no codex astates organisation) and easiest to use bulk of your collection without futher additions. Blood Angels' fast Rhinos are good enough to make buying them almost mandatory, while for Space Wolves buying 3-4 Rhinos would merely be a sensible thing to do :p .

This said, I suggest Blood Angels. Both armies are reputed to be powerful, but Blood Angels army bulit using codex astrates units is hardly cheesy, and exactly the kind of BA army I'd love to see more.

Dr.Clock
01-09-2010, 11:06
Yeah: the close-to-codex BA list is what I run... 2 each of tacs, scouts and Assault Squads gives you a tonne of options on the field. Throw in 2 Devs and you've got over half a company.

It really is a shame that so many have been confused by the more abusive/crazy builds of BA - the book gets alot of mileage just from using Assault marines as troops and really rewards taking as many troops as possible.

I decided on an all-infantry force after building a mechanized Sallies force (don't worry... I use a MotF and sometimes Lysander - dislike Vulkan) and have really enjoyed the change of pace.

Assault Marines in Rhinos, Devs in the back and harassment scouts should see you with a pretty nice list - all you really need is a way to get those assault marines in motion. I'd probably go with two pods and two rhinos... pod dread can come in on scouts with pod assaulties and maybe termie coming in later while the rhinos advance with covering fire from some devs.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

p.s. You WILL need some special weapons...

LonelyPath
01-09-2010, 12:22
To save on conversion work I would suggest Space Wolves (all those heavy weapons are screaming "long fang" at me), you'll just need to add a few Rhinos to transport your BP+CCW models around the table and if you hunt Ebay you can find those very cheaply, especially the older mark 1. The same goes for Blood Angels with getting some rhinos, but Space Wolves do have the better heavy support squad.

Da Reddaneks
01-09-2010, 12:48
I suggest Lamenters as they can be pretty much anything you like.

StormWulfen
01-09-2010, 23:45
It may be too late but I would also say space wolves over blood angels, what people don't seem to realize is that you can use those BP/CCW marines as grey hunters as they have bolter, BP, CCW as standard whereas using them as blood claws would be pretty pointless as you would be paying the same points for IMO a worse unit.

And if WYSIWYG is a problem I'm sure you or some of your friends will have a ton of spare bolters you can glue to the hips/chest of the BP/CCW marines ;)

insectum7
02-09-2010, 15:02
I suggest Lamenters as they can be pretty much anything you like.

I'll second that. BA is a good start, but paint them to your liking in a scheme other than than one of the major chapters, and you can have an appropriate looking army for a multitude of builds. It's always nice to see new and interesting color schemes, and you'll have more freedom to alter your playing style later.

Haunter!
02-09-2010, 15:49
Fight the system, do Black Templars.