PDA

View Full Version : Ard Boyz Round 2 WoC with Valkia!

vinny t
30-08-2010, 04:00
Alright, so I won the First round of the Ard Boyz here in Omaha, and am looking to make a sweet "take all comers" list with Valkia, as she is the greatest character ever!

Sooo, my first round list was roughly:

Valkia
Lvl 4
Lvl 2
Festus
BSB

well, I felt this was too many heroes. The lvl 2 did nothing. It was a waste of points to keep him, IMHO

18 warriors w/ mark of nurgle full command shields and Rapturous standard
18 warriors with Mark of Slaanesh, Halberds, full command and banner of Rage

x3 5 Dogs
x2 5 marauder Horsemen of Khorne, with flails

x3 5 knights of Khorne

This list performed well, but I felt it was... lacking in something, namely warm bodies to crush the servant of light!

Therefore, here is my new and (hopefully) improved list:

Valkia
Sorc Lord lvl 4 with Dispel Scroll (Shadow)

Festus
BSB with Banner of "Ward Save vs. Shooting" Mark of Slaanesh, and shield

Core:
x3 5 Dogs

32 Warriors of Tzeentch with f/c Rapturous Standard and shields (BSB goes here)

35 Marauders of Khorne with GWs and f/c

5 Marauder Horsemen of Khorne with flails

Special:
18 Chosen of Slaanesh with f/c Shields, Halberds, and banner of Rage champion has favor of the Gods (Sorc lord and Festus go here)

x2 5 Knights of Khorne

total: 2997

What do you guys think? How could you make this list better?

sergentzimm
30-08-2010, 04:18
Why the mark of slaanesh? I have found the mark of tzeentch to be very helpful

Walls
30-08-2010, 05:21
I don't get it. You seem to have a WAY bigger list this round. Am I missing something? You basically dropped a lvl 2 and 5 knights to get 30 some marauders, a couple more warriors and 18 chosen?

vinny t
30-08-2010, 12:05
I also dropped a unit of horsemen, and the 18 Warrior unit.

So, I droppped the lvl 2, 5 Knights, 5 Horsemen, and 18 warriors to get: 18 Chosen, 35 Marauders, and some more warriors

Walls
30-08-2010, 15:43
Oddly enough... it does work out in AB. Just seemed you dropped so little. You didn't really drop the 18 warriors, you combined them into one unit. That's where it seemed weird.

I would heavily suggest a warshrine. It's Valkia's biggest boon rerolling eye of the gods. Especially with a unit of chosen in there.

PurpleSun
30-08-2010, 16:38
Can Valkia join a unit? I never thought she could, being as she flies, but the ref at Ard Boyz ruled that my opponent could put her in a unit of chaos warriors. He rationalized that it was like a vampire with the fly special rule.

Walls
30-08-2010, 16:53
I dunno if she actually can. I don't have my rulebook here but I am thinking that flying characters can't join units.

But yeah, lots of things allow you to fly, so maybe it's only flying mounts that can't.

Hell, a Slaan has the hover rule, which confers fly. I'd say she can by that rationale.

theSkullduggery1
30-08-2010, 17:44
For some reason I thought that Valkia can't join units, but I looked all over the army book and the FAQ and can't find anything to verify...now I'm thinking that she is a lot better.

Brady
30-08-2010, 18:14
Why wouldn't she be able to join a unit? she is an infantry troop type who has the fly special rule, so surely she can join units? I don't see anywhere that says she can't ( could be wrong though)

For that reason i would try and get her into the unit with festus in becuase as she is valkia has no protection other than armour ( which isn't best relied on in 8th). With festus she will at least have regen even if it is on a 5+. I'd rather a 5+ regen while with a unit as opposed to a 5+ ward against shooting while in a unit. :)

Kirasu
30-08-2010, 20:23
Its just a quirk in the rules is why people think she cant.. Characters cannot join flyers but flying non-monster characters can join units

AussieLauren
31-08-2010, 06:08
Similar to characters on disc of tzeentch - they can join cavalry, and count as cavalry with the fly rule, but ironically can't join flying units.

The specific rule is that characters can't join flying units, not vice versa.

However here is a tricky one; characters can join each other to make a "unit", but I believe that valkia couldn't (as in, the other character couldn't join her)

edit: also, any piccies of your valkia?