PDA

View Full Version : So how are bretonnians meant to work in 8th?

xxRavenxx
30-08-2010, 05:59
8th obviously put a lot of weight on infantry, what with stubborn rules and second rank fighting.

It also took some of the punch out of cavalry. This is all pretty fair from what we've seen locally, except when we get to the local bretonian player.

His knights now just seem to run into combat, get stuck, and die. He's admittedly not a tactical genius, but it seems like he really struggles to break units.

What is it that Brets should be doing in 8th to actually pull off a win? (I notice one won 'ard boys in one store, so its evidently possible, and without archer spam no less.)

Dag
30-08-2010, 06:37
do waht everyone else does.

take 15 kotr with a hero and bsb and you have 5 total ranks (including first) and thats move than enough to break most steadfast, and combo lance as usual, decimating units....as usual, not taking casualties because of 1+ and with 2 lances your going to kill enough to make even those rediculous hordes go away turn 1.

bigger units, just like everyone else. the old 8 knight unit is gone

Botjer
30-08-2010, 06:54
Peasants! :d

Leogun_91
30-08-2010, 07:05
Dag speaks the truth.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
30-08-2010, 07:14
Yup, its really that simple. 8th has basically just upped unit sizes, so there is no reason to assume that this wouldn't affect brettonians. Infantry aren't Stubborn, they're steadfast and there is a big difference between the two :)

Also men at arms hordes are quite nice - especially with a little magic support :)

xxRavenxx
30-08-2010, 08:07
His games vs. me have caused him the problem that he cant wade through 10 ranks of goblins... (Nor can he manage 10 ranks deep himself, obviously).

What kind of list/ballance do people use then, if its deep blocks he needs?

sulla
30-08-2010, 09:05
Trebuchets... or kill the O&G general's unit and let the rest be steadfast on whatever awful Ld they have without a general?

Lord of Divine Slaughter
30-08-2010, 09:08
Yeah, a trebuchet really do wonders to goblin units :)

Nathangonmad
30-08-2010, 12:12
Also take that banner that removes peoples ranks.

Da Crusha
30-08-2010, 12:24
Also take that banner that removes peoples ranks.

it still wont get rid of steadfast. but it will help to win combat

meneroth
30-08-2010, 13:29
that banner is over 100 pts......

anyway, he shouldnt be able to break the goblins on turn one of combat, but if he sends a lance straight at your general and directs all his attacks towards him....or uses a challenge paladin he can knock out your general right quick, or do the same to the bsb. steadfast, even on a leadership 8 or 9 isn't that good without the BSB re-roll in 8th edition. kinda funny cause people would kill for ld 8 stubborn back in the 7th days.

even failing to kill the general he should still be able to kill a unit of goblins over a turn or three, with or without the lance bonus. course he could be making the dreaded mistake of only sending one lance into a unit instead of the much safer, much more deadly 2 lances into one. people tend to spread their lances into multiple units of the enemy instead of focusing everything on one and just decimating that unit, then wheeling back around to punch back through another. true, steadfast makes that old tactic harder but its the bread and butter of brett cav in 7th and remains mostly true in 8th.

forgot to mention, the pegasus knights are also great at weak character assassination, with thier speed putting them on target relativly quickly. skaven, goblin, even flying sorcerers are vounerable to the flying circus.

Lord of the End Times
31-08-2010, 09:16
All that has been said so far is valid.

Knights must be taken in big units of 12-15. One lance will not reliably break a unit, concentrate at least two simultaneously on one enemy unit at a time.

Men at arms are average at best in terms of abilities for their cost, but taken in big units (I use units of 50) and buffed with magic (Life and beasts are both great), they can go up against the best that the enemy can throw at you. The Lore of Beasts signature spell makes them T4 and hit at S5 with halberds, which is tasty.

Archers are superb, especially ranked up behind stakes. I don't recommend huge units to try and replace M@A, I prefer units of either 16 or 24 with just a musician personally.

Trebuchets are awesome for their cost. I strongly recommend taking two in almost any size game if you want to do well.

In terms of tactics, focus your knights on one point, don't spread them around table. Use men at arms to protect your trebuchets and to hold the enemy for turn after turn while you manouvre for the flank charge. Use the trebuchets to hit the enemys most elite and expensive units. Kit out your characters for duelling and take on the enemys characters. I take quite a bit of magic now, usually a lvl4 and lvl2 both with lore of life and occasionally another lvl1 with the lore of beasts signature spell.

These ideas have been working quite well for me, hopefully they can be useful to someone else.

decker_cky
31-08-2010, 17:27
Smaller lances work too if used to support men at arms with deep ranks. Men at arms kill decently, but are quite cheap halberdiers. Knights add the kills, MaA negate the steadfast, and the knights run down the fleeing unit.

Both life and beasts magic can be amazing for bretonnians too.