PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Groups/Clubs in North West London

CaptainFaramir
30-08-2010, 08:48
In three days I am moving to West Hampstead in London. A new town, in a new country, in a new flat (with a girl which is new too, and a little scary.) It also means I'll need to find new people to play.

A Google search has revealed a plethora of RPG/AD&D/Warmachine/etc. gaming groups in North/West London, but I can't find any Warhammer Fantasy Battle groups. I (will) have a bicycle (although I hear London has this excellent transport network thing with omnibuses and trains that travel under the ground).

Does anyone live in the NW's and play WFB with a local group?

Does GW Brent Cross have a battle bunker?

Are there any other LGS with gaming tables?

Does anyone like Kronenberg 1664, cheese and sour cream pringles, beating High Elves into the ground, and have a garage?

Cheers.

punkfish
30-08-2010, 16:41
I've not played in North West London for a few years but I'll try and answer a few of the questions for you.

Brent X isn't a battle bunker but they do have a club, called the Brent Cross Imps. I've not been to the club but the staff at the store are pretty helpful so I'm sure they'll be happy to provide you with more.

I'm told that the Covent Garden store has a club affiliated, again, haven't been there.

If you don't mind travelling out a bit, Watford has a fairly lively club - Watford Wargames Federation, they meet on either a Tues or Weds and it's not that much of a bind to get to from West Hampstead.

Otherwise, try the http://www.crossgamingclub.com/ - have heard good things about them.

Hope the above helps - if you find anywhere else, do share as I spend a lot of my time in the NW London area.

enyoss
30-08-2010, 20:58
Again, if you don't mind a little bit of travel there are a few clubs out there.

I would highly recommend the Clapham Wargaming Club, which meets on Thursdays in the upstairs of a pub about 5 minutes walk from Clapham Common/North tube station. If you take the Jubilee line to Waterloo and then change to the Northern Line you should get there in under an hour. I used to go there from Manor House in North London which is probably a similar distance. I'd get there around 6 and have a quiet pint while writing my list or get my missus to meet me for a drink there afterwards (the pub's a nice and friendly one :)). It's a bit of a trek, and is (gulp!) south of the river, but it's really worth it.

EDIT: I have also heard good things about the Cross Gaming Club, although it has moved from Charing Cross to London Bridge it seems. I never found time to go myself, but I had a couple of nice conversations in Plaza GW with one of the organizers and he seemed like a good sort, and he definitely sold it well!

EDIT #2: Welcome to London by the way. You'll love West Hampstead :D

Jim30
31-08-2010, 13:39
I live in SE London (Lewisham) and have used Clapham club - a really nice bunch of people, although there does appear to be some drama brewing between the soft core, who 'allegedly' have gone to the OG club, and the harder core tournament fans who're staying put. That said, I've never had any issues, although I'm told that Clapham is more of a tournament club now.

Not been to Cross GC, but going there when I get back from current overseas tour as its very local to me.

That said, from December onwards, if you (or anyone else) want a game in SE London of WHFB or Flames of War, on 6x4 with stacks of good scenery then drop me a line - always looking to meet new gamers in London.

enyoss
31-08-2010, 19:06
I seem to recall that lots of people were trying out tournament lists when I played at Clapham, although I never found playing against them unpleasant (and I'm a softy player, not a tournament one). Actually, I quite liked that aspect as it meant the game nights were really well organized and regimented, and attendance was always high (at times, if you hadn't booked your game by Friday afternoon you'd have to go on the standby list for the following Thursday :eek:). I'm sad to hear the club has splintered. What's the OG club by the way?

To the OP: I would also recommend just sending a PM to people on here if you fancy a game. I took the plunge and PM'ed EvC a while back here on Warseer (although he is now banned, he was a good bloke in person) and it turned out he lived more or less at the end of my road, so we managed to get a game in round my place every other week or so.

CaptainFaramir
01-09-2010, 00:22
@All. Thanks for all the advice. I've been in contact with the Imps chaps and will see what happens. I might try Cross Gaming Club as London Bridge is pretty quick from work, although the chances of me getting out of work on time are sadly pretty low.

@Enyoss... I like the idea of being able to have pick up games, looking as I want to play at weekends, but how do I know if people live nearby? Is it really socially acceptable to just ask people "I notice from your profile you live in London, fancy a game some time?"

enyoss
01-09-2010, 02:16
I like the idea of being able to have pick up games, looking as I want to play at weekends, but how do I know if people live nearby? Is it really socially acceptable to just ask people "I notice from your profile you live in London, fancy a game some time?"

That's what I did! It's probably not socially acceptable, but oh well. Usually helps if you add a dose of flattery about the quality of their posts, but I think most people are pretty friendly or will otherwise point you in the direction of a local club. Unless their location gives it away, knowing whether they're close or not is difficult. Still, you can probably get wherever you need to be using the Tube and/or bus.

I hope you get something sorted out :)

Sclep
01-09-2010, 05:24
Welcome to London!

Bike is a great way to get around London, if you're confident.

Leisure Games (http://www.leisuregames.com/) might be accessible, but I'm not sure about their gaming facilities. They do have a notice board on their site though.

As well as the brick and mortar GWs, there is Dark Sphere (http://www.darksphere.co.uk/), where you can play and buy Warhammer at 20% discount.

Hope you find a solution!

Jim30
01-09-2010, 06:14
Capt Faramir

There is absolutely no problems with PMing people for a pick up game - I'd just check to make sure that you guys play roughly the same way (e.g. WAAC vs total fluff players can be a bit dispiriting for both sides).

For myself, I'm currently overseas, but would be delighted to stand you a couple of games when I get back in a few months. I've sent you a quick PM with some more info.

As for Clapham - I think the impression I got is that OG Games (online store formed by long standing club member) set up a Monday evening club in Wandsworth which a lot of Clapham players went to. This was okay, but then they set up a thursday evening (same night as Clapham), and I think there has been a bit of tension (allegedly!).

The guys at Clapham are great blokes, and I've never had a bad game down there - I just think people should realise that its a club where most of the members are active tournament players, so you're more likely to come up against someone doing tournament prep than you are a 'fluffy kittens' list :-)

Its a good club to go to, with well run nights and with nice beer on tap. The main downside is that the food has gone all 'tapasy' and isn't as good as it used to be.