PDA

View Full Version : Please review and rate these missions

Malorian
30-08-2010, 17:09
These are the missions I am going to be running for an upcoming tournament, and I would greatly appreciate it if you took the time to look them over and tell me what you think about them and if you see any loopholes or things that aren't explained well.

Game 1: Late For War

It can be extremely frustrating for a general to be in charge of an undisciplined army. Complex tactical procedures require refined skills, focused attention, and of course showing up on time…

Other than the general, roll a D6 for every one of your units before the game: on a 1-2 that unit will start on the board with your general, on a 3-4 that unit will come in from your board edge on turn two, and on a 5-6 that unit will come in from your board edge on turn three. The units that come on the board are placed with the back of the unit touching the board edge after all charges are declared, so the units coming in can not charge but they may march and do other actions as normal.

Roll for sides as normal, with the player that picked their side deploying the first unit (and then the players alternate from there). Scouts that rolled a 1 or 2 are placed as normal, but those not starting on the board will come on as reserves as if they didn’t have the scout rule.

The player with the fewest units goes first. Roll off if it is a tie.

Objectives:
-Have a fully painted and based army.
-After deployment pick one opposing unit on the board and announce it. It must be destroyed by the end of the game.
-After deployment pick one of your own units on the board and announce it. At least a portion of it must survive the game.
-At the end of the game have at least one unit in at least three out of four table quarters
-Over the course of the game, have equal to or less failed leadership tests than your opponent.

Game 2: Mid-Life Crisis

The feeling of getting old can hit people hard, leading to even powerful generals going out of their way to do crazy things to prove they ‘still can’. As the two armies meet, it turns out that both generals are in such a state, and only time will tell what brave acts they will do to mock Old Man Time.

The battle will be a plain pitched battle with twelve inch deployment zones; however the generals must be deployed within 6 inches of the centre of the deployment zone.

Objectives:
-The general must kill at least 5 models
-The general must end the game in the opposing player’s deployment zone
-The general must spend one turn doing nothing (no moving, casting, shooting, or fighting) as he shows off his muscles to the ladies
-The general (and or the unit he is in) must capture at least one banner
-The general must be alive at the end of the battle

Game 3: Secret Goblin Drug Labs

Goblins are typically up to no good, and one thing they love is to create new ‘brews’ to fuel their ‘creativity’. Unfortunately these labs can be more… explosive… then they originally planned…

The deployment zones go right up to center, there is no ‘no-mans land’, however no unit may be placed within 12 inches of an enemy unit. Roll for sides and take turns deploying units with the person who picked sides placing first.

Starting on turn 2, at the start of each game turn roll a D6 for each piece of terrain, on a 1 it will explode. All models completely in the terrain will take a strength 6 hit with a d6 wound multiplier, and all models not completely in the terrain but within 2D6 of the terrain will take a strength 4 hit. Look out sirs are allowed. Remove the exploded terrain and take panic tests as needed.

Objectives:
-Have a unit touching a piece of terrain by the end of the game
-Have none of your own units be wiped out be exploding secret goblin drug labs
-During the course of the game, have at least five of your own units be in or move through terrain
-During the course of the game, have at least one unit get into contact with a piece of terrain in your opponent’s deployment zone
-Yell out ‘Boom!’ before your opponent when one of the secret goblin drug labs explodes

TheKingInYellow
30-08-2010, 17:25
I would play the hell out of all of these scenarios.

Teongpeng
30-08-2010, 17:39
creative stuff those!

NixonAsADaemonPrince
30-08-2010, 17:54
They all look really good, nice work. The only thing I'm not sure of is the objective with the first scenario where you have to count failed Ld tests, I don't know about anyone else but I would probably forget a lot :o.

orcs of fire
31-08-2010, 10:49
:D, Brilliant... Absolutely brilliant.

I think that the third scenario should be compulsory in all tournaments :angel:. Consider these scenarios playtested...

Malorian
31-08-2010, 15:19
Great!

Thanks for the reviews guys :)

Blinder
31-08-2010, 17:57
The only thing I see causing a fuss is the 2nd mission's "kill 5 models" bit, and that's really only if someone shows up with an all-big-things list so one player has a LOT more work cut out for the general... maybe monstrous models count as 2 or something (thinking things like OK, I think at least they can have everything with at least 2 wounds if they skip on stuff like gnoblars, right)? Not that it should really be *that* big an issue since it's not entirely likely and sounds like it will be a pretty congenial group playing.

eagletsi1
31-08-2010, 20:19
My take on Scenario 1:

I don't believe any scenario where all of your unit's could come on in 2nd or 3rd turn.

I would say something like 50% of your units determined randomly start on the board, then the other half roll dice for entry.

Also for objects. What if the unit you are supposed to destroy comes on in turn 3, it would be almost impossible to destroy it if the enemy general plays keep away. So I would recommend after the deployment turn your objectives for Destroyed unit and Surviving unit be selected not before.

Ie.

-Before turn one starts pick one opposing unit on the board and announce it. It must be destroyed by the end of the game.
-Before turn one starts pick one of your own units on the board and announce it. At least a portion of it must survive the game.

Both of these should be after Deployment phase and all rolls have been completed.

My two cents!

Toshiro
31-08-2010, 21:20
lovely! :D

Malorian
31-08-2010, 21:46
Also for objects. What if the unit you are supposed to destroy comes on in turn 3, it would be almost impossible to destroy it if the enemy general plays keep away. So I would recommend after the deployment turn your objectives for Destroyed unit and Surviving unit be selected not before.

Ie.

-Before turn one starts pick one opposing unit on the board and announce it. It must be destroyed by the end of the game.
-Before turn one starts pick one of your own units on the board and announce it. At least a portion of it must survive the game.

Both of these should be after Deployment phase and all rolls have been completed.

My two cents!

This is actually how it is suppose to be (after deployment, and just before turn 1).

To make it more clear I'll change it to being 'after deployment'.

Urgat
31-08-2010, 22:03
Two things:
-it's only me, but I think they're a bit too complicated, too many objectives.
-number of turns?

Malorian
31-08-2010, 22:33
Two things:
-it's only me, but I think they're a bit too complicated, too many objectives.
-number of turns?

Your score for winning the tournament is based purely on the ojectives you complete, so I need to have a lot of them (in fact I would be better off with more).

All would be the standard 6 turns.

Tzeentch Lover
01-09-2010, 03:17
Game 1:

I guess it's ok, but it seems to come down to "Who can roll more 1s and 2s at the beginning of the game."

Game 2:

So, whoever goes first with decent firepower autowins? Or a tie if both have decent Firepower?

Game 3:

Really like this one.

nonchalance
01-09-2010, 08:29
They're terrifyingly luck-dependent.
I wouldn't play them as tourney games - though I'd play the hell out of them as garage games. Looks like a heap of fun.

Dark Aly
01-09-2010, 13:24
i love the last objective for the goblin labs.
game 2 isn't about firepower as you're opponent can deploy within 12" so tough luck gunlines.
in 'late for war' picking an enemy unit to destroy is a bit harsh. small disposable units like war puppies or fast cav. could be really hampered and if you force people to pick the highest point unit then deathstars will reign. maybe the best way to run it is to pick an enemy unit of at least 20 models or 150 points.

EDIT: otherwise they look great fun and tournements should be fun

eagletsi1
01-09-2010, 14:25
This is great stuff. I'm currently going through an revamping all of my scenarios, I have ever played in Tournaments and store games to now work with the 8th edition. I have about 25 or so, from GT's and RT's. With about 15 from Generals Compendium and other tournament sources.

I will definately add these to my list.

Tzeentch Lover
01-09-2010, 18:46
game 2 isn't about firepower as you're opponent can deploy within 12" so tough luck gunlines.

Yes, it is. The deployment is like pitched battle, so both armies are within 12" of their own board edge and the generals deploy within 6" of the center on their own.

Whoever goes first gets a free shot at the enemies general while his own general tries to high-tail it out of there(unless he has to follow the 3rd objective) and then win since the person going second won't be able to complete the objectives.

Malorian
01-09-2010, 18:48
Yes, it is. The deployment is like pitched battle, so both armies are within 12" of their own board edge and the generals deploy within 6" of the center on their own.

Whoever goes first gets a free shot at the enemies general while his own general tries to high-tail it out of there(unless he has to follow the 3rd objective) and then win since the person going second won't be able to complete the objectives.

There is nothing stopping the general from being in a unit.

BorderKing
01-09-2010, 19:02
I quite like them but here are my thoughts :

1) Too reliant on what happens at the begining. If you do really badly even before you start playing it could take the fun away from the rest of the game

2) Sounds fun but it favours wizards. A wizard could cheat quite easily, so I would say make it so the general is a combat one and not a magic one.

3) Sounds very fun, but it looks like it could have the same problems as 1. Maybe you could weaken the bombs?

They sound interesting to play and I might try some out when I've finished redoing my army.

Tzeentch Lover
01-09-2010, 19:09
There is nothing stopping the general from being in a unit.

Maybe re-write the deployment rules to reflect this? As I read it, only the general must deploy in the middle.

If the general can't do anything for the first turn, then would the unit he is in be forced to do nothing too?

Malorian
01-09-2010, 19:42
If the general can't do anything for the first turn, then would the unit he is in be forced to do nothing too?

Well they couldn't move, but there is nothing stopping them from shooting/casting spells.

SeaSwift
01-09-2010, 20:18
What I like about Scenario one is this:

What are the whiners complaining about in 8th? Warmachines and ranged units.

What does this scenario lower the effectiveness of? Warmachines and ranged units.

I think we have a winner...