PDA

View Full Version : Bloodcurling roar vs Stream of Corruption

lomore
30-08-2010, 19:11
I see alot of lists with chars with Bloodcurling roar (and Stream not in the list).

I never used roar, what's so good with it?
Shouldn't the stream be vastly superior with the new rules ?
Even with 1 use you get to wound alot of things to 4+, and since Roar usually gets on a non-melee char you should be able to use the template version of Stream.

Am I missing something? Does Roar do constantly more than a couple wound on the entire game?

Agnar the Howler
30-08-2010, 19:20
Well for starters, roar is multi-use, whereas stream I believe is once per game. Roar also ignores armour, and whilst the hits are S1, there are 2D6 of them, which can make it effective and killing smaller elite units of knights etc. through sheer numbers of hits. I use it on my disc sorcerer because of his mobility (allowing him to get around units, making it hard for them to get to him, and also makes it easier to get to your target faster).

_dandaman_
30-08-2010, 20:23
I've used roar quite a bit, and it works well, because our friend mathhammer points out that you can do a wound a turn, so units of 5-10 knights can be withered down easily without fear of being charged. Although stream is deadly effective against most blocks, I totally toasted a unit of High Elf spearmen, killed about 10 of them, so 90 points of models gone for 20 points, yes please!

Paraelix
30-08-2010, 20:32
Depends on the Char. Roar is good on Disc Sorcerers... Stream is a good addition to a combat character in a unit with a champ. eg, Champ declares challenge while Lord puts out 5 +2D6 hits... Can really help drop numbers (and steadfast).

lomore
30-08-2010, 20:43
My point was that if you can get withing 12" of a unit flying via disk you need to be on the back or the side of a unit not to get charged, and there you can get probably more near to get a breath attack hitting 10+ models.

I will try roar next time just to see how it perform.

Rochr
30-08-2010, 21:28
Bloodcurdling is great on a Disc Sorcerer to kill off Greater Eagles and other flying units that wants to tie up your Lord. Also good to pick off warmachines, lone characters and knights.

Agnar the Howler
30-08-2010, 21:50
My point was that if you can get withing 12" of a unit flying via disk you need to be on the back or the side of a unit not to get charged, and there you can get probably more near to get a breath attack hitting 10+ models.

I will try roar next time just to see how it perform.

Getting to the sides or back of a unit using a disc is relatively simple, and since the roar is multi-use as opposed to the stream's single use, you can continue to hassle the unit throughout the game.

10+ models hit by a template sounds good on paper, but when you take into account say 6 turns of a fantasy game, with the roar you have a possible total of 12 hits (minimum, so already more than 1 stream) through to a maximum of 72 hits. Assuming an average of around 6-7 hits per turn, over the course of a 6-turn game, you've dealt 36-42 hits.

_dandaman_
31-08-2010, 01:02
Getting to the sides or back of a unit using a disc is relatively simple, and since the roar is multi-use as opposed to the stream's single use, you can continue to hassle the unit throughout the game.

10+ models hit by a template sounds good on paper, but when you take into account say 6 turns of a fantasy game, with the roar you have a possible total of 12 hits (minimum, so already more than 1 stream) through to a maximum of 72 hits. Assuming an average of around 6-7 hits per turn, over the course of a 6-turn game, you've dealt 36-42 hits.

Unfortunately though, those 36-42 hits equals only 6-7 wounds. A good stream shot can do far better than that, i don't have the math right now, if someone would like to do it that would be great.

BattleofLund
31-08-2010, 01:36
Based on the highly scientific method of covering the Breath Template in my BRB with 20mm bases, and factoring in that your Chaos character has to be 1" away from the enemy unit, you can hit 30 enemy models.

In this case you will probably score half as many wounds, 15, of which 2-3 will be saved (since the SoC has a -1 save mod). But these will probably be models costing from two to six points. If you go after pricier ones, you'll hit fewer because there will be fewer in the unit.

The Roar on the other hand will chip away REALLY pricey and/or well-protected wounds, like Blood-or-Chaos Knights, Steam Tanks or ****** Black Coaches. Sorry about the inappropriate expletive, it should of course have read 'Blood-or-Chaos Knights, Black Coaches or ****** BLADDY STEAM TANKS!'.

ShurikenSerpent
31-08-2010, 10:46
Personally, I'd take both. With an army as limited in the shooting phase as ours, these can help even things up at 20 points each.

Stream can be a usefull addition to any pretty much any character, whether infantry or mounted, while Bloodcurdling Roar is much more useful on a mobile hero or sorcerer.

While it's armour-popping abilities have been mentioned above (take THAT, Dragon Princes!) Bloodcurdling Roar's also useful for taking out pesky threats like Fanatics as well.

Agnar the Howler
31-08-2010, 12:57
Unfortunately though, those 36-42 hits equals only 6-7 wounds. A good stream shot can do far better than that, i don't have the math right now, if someone would like to do it that would be great.

Which translates as 6-7 kills against most units (remember the the roar ignores armour saves, the stream does not!).

Canadianwarrior
31-08-2010, 14:43
I loaded up on both in my 1800 point army. stream on the almost mandatory bsb and roar on a disk sorcerer for the annoyance factor. Why not always take them? At 20 points they are a steal.

Tossing the character with stream in a unit with a champ is nice because you can insure that on the charge your champ is pulled into a challenge and your free to roll up the hits.

Jericho
31-08-2010, 14:44

Bingo! Roar every turn or "flame on" once per game. That's the big difference. Anyway I don't see the point of the either/or argument since you can easily take both in most lists. They do different things.

Roar is great for killing anything with good armor save, or grinding down single/few model targets like war machines, chariots, monsters, heavy cavalry.

Stream of Corruption is great against massed T3 infantry, and that's about it. Can be decent in a challenge vs. weak armored characters for overkill, or to thin enemy ranks a bit, but again it's one use only so you have to be careful not to waste it.

Canadianwarrior
31-08-2010, 18:08
Roar like any shooting attack can not be used while marching correct?

Jericho
31-08-2010, 19:41
Not sure exactly, that's a good point though. It would reduce the ability's versatility if you could only move 10" and roar.

Hashulaman
01-09-2010, 00:51
I run into more massed T3 units than havily armored, plus stream can be used in close combat, so I take stream for an extra punch to close combat, then put roar on a flyer and hunt down war machines.