PDA

View Full Version : Lab rats take over the world!

Lord Inquisitor
30-08-2010, 23:57
So here's my first list with the loathsome ratmen. This is a list based on what I've already got (a skaven battalion I won at a tournament and two currently-hypothetical sets of skaven from the Island of Blood sets). The Island of Blood is preordered (and a High Elf trade organised) so this list only requires me to make a HPA and buy a Screaming Bell. The army will be modelled and painted entirely white with red eyes ... lab rats (something of an in-joke as I'm a geneticist).

Lords (24%)
Grey Seer – 240
Screaming Bell – 200

Warlord – 90
Shield, great weapon 9

Heroes (8%)
Chieftain – 45
Halberd, shield 5
BSB 25

Warlock Engineer (level 2) – 100

Core (34%)
60 Clanrats (spears, shields) – 300
Full command – 20
Attached warpfire thrower – 70

40 Clanrats (spears, shields) – 200
Full command – 20
Attached Poisoned Wind Mortar – 65

40 Skavenslaves – 80
Musician 2

Special (24%)
20 Plague Monks – 140
Full command – 25
Storm Banner – 50

7 Rat Ogres, 4 packmasters 312
Master bred 15

Rare (10%)
Hell pit abomination – 235

Total

Apart from the mandatory Storm Banner, no magic items yet as I'm still trying to get a feel for the list. Suggestions for magic trinkets welcome - I've thought of a nasty little combo here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4951284&postcount=56), but it's very expensive in points, leaves me BSB pricey with no protection and lastly is probably not going to be well-recieved by my opponents given that I currently play a Slaanesh Ld-denial army. :cheese:

Anyway, suggestions from other Skaven players very welcome!

TheDrugLordX
31-08-2010, 09:50
Like you I'm pretty new to the ratmen, but I've had a few games played with them. Here's what I've learned: (written in green)

Lords (24%)
Grey Seer – 240
Screaming Bell – 200
Power Scroll and Skalm (along with some kind of cheap protection) is very popular for him. Power Scroll is just insane, forcing The Dreaded Thirteenth Spell when you need to can swing the game outcome to your favour. It's particularly useful against lizardmen and high elves whom also run very powerful magic phases and have the poency to shut you down completely.

Warlord – 90
Shield, great weapon 9
I read abˇut your little item combo, and I got so intrigued that I have to try it out for myself! However, if you don't run the combo, 2 rat ogres provides more hitting power than the warlord does.

Heroes (8%)
Chieftain – 45
Halberd, shield 5
BSB 25
Unless going for the item combo, consider giving him Enchanted Shield for some more protection.

Warlock Engineer (level 2) – 100
Now this one seems a bit weird, what's his purpose? You want to cast most PD with your seer anyways so drop him to level 1 (for warp lightning). Also, Doom Rocket and Warp-Energy condenser are two powerful items to give him. Though, I have found that this set-up (115pts) is a bit expensive for what he does, the PD never seem to be enough. I play with one with no magic level and only the Doom Rocket, for 45pts he's well worth it (mostly anyways).

Core (34%)
60 Clanrats (spears, shields) – 300
Full command – 20
Attached warpfire thrower – 70
A bit big maybe, but it's fine. The parry save provides more however than spears. Drop spears to save 30pts!

40 Clanrats (spears, shields) – 200
Full command – 20
Attached Poisoned Wind Mortar – 65
Fine. However someone told me that champs on clanrats isn't worth it. I agree.

40 Skavenslaves – 80
Musician 2
Fine.

Special (24%)
20 Plague Monks – 140
Full command – 25
Storm Banner – 50
Small, need to be bigger.

7 Rat Ogres, 4 packmasters 312
Master bred 15
Wow this is one large unit. All I say is this; 1 Hellpit Abomination = 235pts ~ 6 Rat Ogres. The HPA is just soooo much more powerful.

Rare (10%)
Hell pit abomination – 235
Very good, but consider Warp Spikes if you think you'll be facing lots of ethereal (our best answer against loner slanns running around ethereal, except for maybe the brass orb...).

Total

6 units is a bit low for skaven, but it's not a bad list. But I would do try adding atleast one more unit.

Lord Inquisitor
31-08-2010, 21:32
Okay, thanks for the input!

Advice on the Seer sounds good. Is the inevitable miscast suffered by the Grey Seer with power scroll not horrific?

The BSB is probably going to have some more protection, the Warlord may need to be dropped.

I guess the Warlock doesn't need to be there although I really like the Doomrocket idea. Heh.

With regard to the plague monks I'll just need to buy more (at which point I think I'll be trying out a furnace) and I think just making one HPA is going to keep me busy for a while! So I'll try out the Rat Ogres - but I'm contemplating Skweel to add to them to give them Regeneration/Poison/+1A. 7 Rat Ogres 4-wide can put out 22 S5 attacks, I think they might be pretty mean.

Dropping spears is maybe a good idea. As for an additional unit, I was thinking of trying to squeeze in a Doomwheel...