PDA

View Full Version : Warriors at 1500 for upcoming tourney

AMWOOD co
31-08-2010, 07:22
A tourney 1500 pt this Sunday, and it will be my first time playing 8th edition, so I'm going to my roots for my Chaos army.

Warriors of Chaos at 1500

Chaos Lord of Tzeentch
Rides a Disc, Talisman of Preservation, Healing Potion, great weapon, shield

Sorceror of Tzeentch
Lvl 2, Rides a Chariot of Tzeentch, Iron Curse Icon, Dispell Scroll, Charmed Shield, Spell Familiar, Stream of Corruption

12 Warriors of Slaanesh
Full command, halberds, shields, Standard of Discipline

12 Warriors of Slaanesh
Full command, great weapons, shields, Gleaming Pennant

4 Chaos Spawn of Slaanesh
300 (75 each)

Total: 1492

Roles:

Warriors - main fighting force, grind oppenents to a pulp or at least hold them up for the others to do their jobs.

Sorceror on Chariot - be between warrior units, support charge where possible, duck into a unit if chariot is lost. Has 2+ armour for himself and 5+ ward for him and chariot against warmachines.

Spawn - Hunt for wizards or the weak. Support flanks of warriors.

Lord - Seek and destroy armour/monsters/war machines/heroes. If none of these, support units.

It is said that no plan lasts once contact with the enemy has been made. This plan is too simple for that. Nothing can outfight my units man to man. Gunlines might be a problem (I do have less than 30 models after all), but that's Chaos for you. I'm thinking of switching the greatsword unit to the Banner of Eternal Flame for the Fear against Cavalry and Anti-Building capability.

So, constructive criticism? Comments? Threats upon my person for fielding a 3+ ward saved, S7, flying character at 1500 pts?

theSkullduggery1
31-08-2010, 13:43
I'm ok with your list, I'm not so sure about giving the Spawn ASF though because in 7th if they killed anything it was less attacks back at them...now there is the same number of attacks no matter what, the only times it helps you is the one round that your spawn finally dies or if your opposing unit only has 1-4 models.

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
31-08-2010, 13:56
sorry dude but your units will get rimmed by any half decent block of horde troops for similar costs.

30 kh marauders with gws s/c/m is only 40 odd more points than your 12 warriors.

30 tz marauders are a very good anvil with HWS for a 5+ ward in cc.

you have no hammer

theSkullduggery1
31-08-2010, 14:22
What do you mean there is no hammer? He has Warrior units hitting with S5 and S6, a chaos lord hitting with S7, and I've never used a chariot but I've heard that they hit pretty hard on a charge too.

If anything, he doesn't have an anvil. I don't agree with slaanesh on the warriors, if you want to hit harder use khorne, if you want to survive go with tzeentch and shields (either warriors or marauders).

randomkrazy
31-08-2010, 15:09
a very uncommon list in such a small point game.

I would like to play against it, although I would def consider taking something other than spawn. Their movement is too random and they are too vulnerable to shooting and in combat, I guess if you run them together they are good to hold up units? If you charge with warriors, (which might not happen to due to their movement) u can use them as tarpits? I'm not sure. I think I rather take a unit of knights or two units of marauder horsemen and some hounds instead of 4 spawn, more reliable and def kill more.

AMWOOD co
31-08-2010, 19:33
My main concern is that I have no anvil for a Anvil and Hammer tactic. My army is all hammer. As such, it is basically hit hard and see what survives. I could possibly use marauders (or beastmen as marauders as I do) but 30 marauders of Khorne have the same number of attacks as an appropriate frontage of Warriors with one less rank. Also, warriors are much harder to kill with stone throwers and other conventional shooting weapons. I'm rather torn on the issue, to be honest.

Khorne instead of Slaanesh... it has merit.

Slaanesh on the spawn is so that they can fulfill their job, ie. making enemy wizards dead. Since spawn are not characters, they do not issue challenges. Since their is no challenge, I can target wizards gleefully and without mercy. Also, my spawn will be travelling in pairs, thus eliminating some of the worry of their randomness. Perhaps I will remove at least some of their marks to free up points for a mark change on the warriors though.

As stated earlier, my army is all hammer. If you have something hard, I can throw a chariot, a Chaos Lord, and a spawn or two at it all on one front and lose no attacks. The warriors are the closest thing I have to an anvil, and at only 24 models between two units, its going to be rough.

Also, a tactical question for those who've played the current edition, how high should I place Battle Standards on my list of models that must die?

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
31-08-2010, 20:32
sorry, I meant no hammer unit, like khorne or nurglr warriors (BoR) and halberds works quite well.

You need a bsb desparately- I use a Tz guy on foot with a 4+ ward and the Favour, but then I have big blocks and 2 shrines for boosting marauders.

Stubborn on a 9 with a reroll is almost never running away.

Therefore, killing your oppents BSB is now,IMHO, more important than killing his general in many circumstances.

Characters on chariots are now cannon fodder as both gets hit in 8th Ed.

AMWOOD co
31-08-2010, 23:32
sorry, I meant no hammer unit, like khorne or nurglr warriors (BoR) and halberds works quite well.

You need a bsb desparately- I use a Tz guy on foot with a 4+ ward and the Favour, but then I have big blocks and 2 shrines for boosting marauders.

Stubborn on a 9 with a reroll is almost never running away.

Therefore, killing your oppents BSB is now,IMHO, more important than killing his general in many circumstances.

Characters on chariots are now cannon fodder as both gets hit in 8th Ed.

1. Battle Standards are necessary if you lose combat, certainly. Support for dealing with fear and terror also. However, if I do switch the Warriors to Khorne (which I plan to), then I only need to worry about losing to the most elite units in the game (Chaos knights, and chosen come to mind). I've worried about it in the past when I couldn't attack back against a unit of knights, but it shouldn't be such a problem anymore (support fire being an exception). I'll be leaving mine at home for now.

2. Roger. Kill Battle Standards with great prejudice.

3. Chariot riders have been hit simultaneously since 7th by cannonballs. Now, however, a cannon only has a 50% chance of destroying my chariot in a single wounding hit. Also, my rider is rather safe from the first attack (2+ to ignore). At 1500, I'm not expecting too many cannons (though that might be naive of me since I managed 8 warmachines in a tournament earlier this year.

AMWOOD co
03-09-2010, 01:00
Okay, I'm at a bit of a roadblock.

Changes:
1. Drop marks on Spawn.
2. Change Warriors' marks to Khorne
3. I still have 40 points left that I have no clue what to do with.

Would upgrading the great weapon unit's banner to the Warbanner and giving the General Soporific Musk be enough? Would something work better than the Musk (don't say Roar, he's fighting whenever possible) or the warbanner. I have been toying around with the idea of Banner of Wrath.

Help?

randomkrazy
03-09-2010, 16:25
I'm a big fan of giving warriors mark of nurgle and then banner of rage. This way they never lose their frenzy if you have a round of bad rolling, and they make your opponents -1ws, and if you are facing ws3 units that means they are hitting on 5s.

lomore
03-09-2010, 18:27
The sorcerer has 60 points of magic items i think.

goodz
03-09-2010, 18:44
Just looking at what i run at 1500 points as WoC i feel like you don't have enough models

I run 2 units of 24 warriors with MoK = 912 points with musician and standard bearer halberd shield.

It is safe to assume in your list that all magic/shooting will be directed at your warriors, so 2-3 turns of shooting/magic at them should kill in most armies at 1500 points maybe 15-20 leaving you with 2 units of 6 warriors? It is doubtfull that they can kill enough to win combats. I would drop some spawn and beef those units up.

I like the MoT lord with 3+ ward save and 2+ armour save, S7 attacks, he is awesome. I would put a crown of command on him to make him stubborn and he can hold up basically any unit he wants even your MoK warriors only average .5 wounds a turn against him!

goodz
03-09-2010, 18:57
The wizard also has 2 arcane items: Dispel scroll, Spell familiar.