PDA

View Full Version : Sylvanian tournament army, comments welcome!

Latro
06-03-2006, 13:56
Hello people!

Last month I tested a small Sylvanian army in a 1K tournament because my usual army was under construction. The results were interesting enough that I decided to give it another, more serious, test-run at 2000 pts this month.

... so here I am, hoping to get some pre-battle advice ;)

Let me hear what you guys think:

Vampire Count (leading the militia) @ 344 pts
- extra magic level, Summon Bats, Book of Arkhan, Earthbind
- great weapon

Vampire Thrall on barded nightmare (leading the templars) @ 137 pts
- Walking Death
- heavy armour, shield, great weapon

Vampire Thrall (leading the levy) @ 135 pts
- Wolf Form, Summon Wolves

(notes: A Count because I need all the characters I can get ... I really enjoy using my Wolf form thralls as tactical nukes. Previous tournament they had huge succes with their suicide charges to take out enemy characters (including two Necromancer generals). Summon Bats because getting two bases of bat swarms behind enemy lines will cause a lot of trouble. I hope the pay-off of getting 10 unbreakable (non-crumbling) wounds to tie-up enemy units is worth it ... it's a gamble though.)

9 Drakenhof Templars @ 315 pts
- full command, Drakenhof Banner
- barded nightmares

(notes: Hammer unit, a thrall for extra hitting power and his Walking Death power for extra CR. The Banner will make the summoning more cost-effective ... double bat swarms and two times double wolves ... and give MR2 to this obvious target. I think those points will be well spent. The Templars will either provide a heavy counter-attack next to the advancing infantry or put early pressure on a flank.)

20 Sylvanian Militia @ 225 pts
- full command

20 Sylvanian Levy @ 175 pts
- full command

20 Sylvanian Levy @ 175 pts
- full command

(notes: A solid line of infantry to put pressure on the centre. All of them with a Vampire for extra combat power. The Thralls will use their improved movement to take out targets of opportunity ... in a suicide charge if needed. The Count will avoid enemy fighting characters if possible since he has no protection.)

2x 5 Direwolves @ 100 pts total

2x 4 Fell Bats @ 160 pts total

(notes: The always useful supporting units. Screening, diverting charges, threatening enemy support ... they will always have something useful to do. Cheap too.)

Banshee @ 90 pts

(notes: I had points left and I like the model. She will either tag along with the infantry line or go off on herself if the area is save enough.)

... so? What do you think? Have I totally missed the point of the Army of Sylvania, or should it be able to handle itself in a tough fight?

fubukii
06-03-2006, 17:33
I would try to gie the vampire general a ward save, other then that though it looks pretty solid, the mass amount of vampires will compensate for the lack of wights and such.

Mad Makz
06-03-2006, 21:52
I think this is quite a cool army, but you'll probably find that the Wolf form thralls have a tougher time in 2000 points (more special troop types/auto hitting warmachines to dodge plus harder RNF).

The Banshee shouldn't be thought of as just a tacked on unit, she is very good as both a march blocker and a nuisance unit, plus can deal some serious damage to a lot of armies (I'd rate her about as reliable as most warmachines in the damage stakes, which is nothing to be sneezed at.)

backslide
07-03-2006, 03:28
ok, I really don't think you gain much for the militia over levy, so personally i would not bother.

I my view the only reason to have a count and 3 thralls is for 4 summon wolves so do that or get a lord cause you need the extra magic!!

Ganymede
07-03-2006, 04:41
What would you add for 2250 points?

backslide
07-03-2006, 05:03
personally more wolves to work with your thralls a couple of units of 10 with champ would do the trick nicly!!

Latro
07-03-2006, 07:23
I think this is quite a cool army, but you'll probably find that the Wolf form thralls have a tougher time in 2000 points (more special troop types/auto hitting warmachines to dodge plus harder RNF).

I know, but don't forget though that their default-mode will be safely tucked away inside a levy unit ... very safe from most warmachines, shooting and magic. Only if a viable target presents itself will they shoot out from their units and use their 18" charge to bring it down.

Another use of the Thralls will be to suddenly add more hitting power to a decisive Templar charge ... an extra 3 or 6 strength 7 attacks can make a big difference.

Should they not be needed elsewhere, they will keep leading the levy into combat. A Thrall leading zombies (4+ save) into combat is quite capable of holding-up or defeating most opponents out there.

The Banshee shouldn't be thought of as just a tacked on unit, she is very good as both a march blocker and a nuisance unit, plus can deal some serious damage to a lot of armies (I'd rate her about as reliable as most warmachines in the damage stakes, which is nothing to be sneezed at.)

I don't doubt her ability to do damage and effect the battle around her, but having only 3 dispel dice and no MR for her makes me wonder how long she can hang around? She will definately be hiding as if her (un)life depended on it, which it does.

ok, I really don't think you gain much for the militia over levy, so personally i would not bother.

They have one very big advantage though ... militia have champions in their command group. I like having a champion next to my general.

In my view the only reason to have a count and 3 thralls is for 4 summon wolves so do that or get a lord cause you need the extra magic!!

That's exactly the gamble I will take this time. Due to previous results I'm going to test if this will work or not. I will sacrifice magical defence and personal defence on my general to gain more power in my supporting and distraction units ... control of the battle-field if you will.

Taking a Lord means losing wither on of my wolf form Thralls ... which are worth their weight in gold, or sending off the Templars without a vampire to lead them. I think that bat swarms and two wolf units behind enemy lines will have more impact than just more wolf units. The swarms can lock an important unit into combat for 2 turns or more (no crumbling!) and the wolves will be more useful threatening than actually charging first chance they get.

... but it's a theory still to be tested. ;)

:cool:

Latro
07-03-2006, 07:26
What would you add for 2250 points?

20 Sylvanian Levy
5 Direwolves (scouting)
up the Fell Bat units a bit

Keller
07-03-2006, 18:56
Looks like a good list, and you seem to know what to do with it.

I would swap the Militia for Levy, but I like zombies. :)

Out of curiousity, are you planning on using spears or halberds?

Latro
07-03-2006, 19:09
Looks like a good list, and you seem to know what to do with it.

I would swap the Militia for Levy, but I like zombies. :)

Out of curiousity, are you planning on using spears or halberds?

They all have spears, but I'm not planning on using them much. Their main job is staying ... uhm ... alive with their 4+ save.

Latro
08-03-2006, 08:30
Small update:

I decided to take away 1 model from the infantry units (they have characters in them anyway) and scrap the musician from the militia ... all this gives me enough points to bring both Fell Bat units up to 5 models.

This gives the Fell Bats even more staying/delaying power when they have to hinder enemy units and gives them US 5 for a nice +1 or +2 when charging from flank or rear ... which can really help with troops that crumble.

... and both units are still only 100 pts a piece, cheap enough to be sacrificed.

backslide
08-03-2006, 11:16
I really sujest you try 4 summon wolves with the Drackoff banner it is sooo much fun!!

personally I think I would find units of 5 fell bats rather clumsy 2 of 3 and 1 of 4 on the other hand... much fun to be had!!

Frankly
08-03-2006, 22:06
Hello people!

Vampire Count (leading the militia) @ 344 pts
- extra magic level, Summon Bats, Book of Arkhan, Earthbind
- great weapon

Vampire Thrall on barded nightmare (leading the templars) @ 137 pts
- Walking Death

9 Drakenhof Templars @ 315 pts
- full command, Drakenhof Banner
- barded nightmares

This is pretty much how I run my HQ for my Sylvanian armylist as well. Except I have summon wolves on my general.

But my troop choices a totally different, I run all wolves, bats and B.Coahes.

Here's a few things I've Learnt about Sylvania ....

Black Coaches are awesome, they'll draw alot of fire away from your HQ's and other troop choices, they're also excellent support chargers with your thralls. Having Black Coaches also means you don't have to commit your Knights and general to combat to soon.

Bat swarms brought in units of 1 are also a good buy, you can tarpit units and especailly low level characters for a turn or two while you deal with the rest of the army.

I'll usually run 3 units of 3 bats and 2 units of 5 bats. The units of 3 bats are primary mage hunting units, they are suicide units to target mages hiding in units. Units of 5 bats are fast support hunters, they have the attacks and units strength to take down fast cavalry.

Personally I think you shoud have summon wolves on your general, the best thing about summoning wolves is that it gives you rear charging units on turn 2 which is really threatening the opponant into doing something about it or losing lose rank bonuses.

Scouting a wolf pack is always an option for me, even if I don't use scout your not lossing to many points, its the option afforded to me to set up a second turn flank charge that makes it to good to turn down. Its another a huge distraction in turn 2, if you have 4 newly summoned wolf units behind his battleline and another wolf unit on his flank your opponant has to react.

GREEN IS DA BEST
09-03-2006, 01:08
What i would do is get rid of wolf form and keep your characters with the infintry units like levy and militia.

Other then that its pretty good.

Frankly
09-03-2006, 01:37
No, not at all, thats a corner stone of armylist, 3 thralls with wolf form and G.weapons just own elite units. It's and excellent way of keeping your fire-power mobile, making it an excellent supporting element.

Remember that the unit is fast cavalry and can snake into combat, so(depending on what your fighting)you can have only doom wolf and thrall in the front rank if you want.