PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Expansions: Learning from 40K

Pushkin
01-09-2010, 14:55
Hi all,

With the new edition of fantasy and the (rumoured) new fantasy division of forgeworld, it's likely that they'll be at least 2 expansions to Warhammer, i'm guessing

Warhammer: Siege
Warhammer: Legendary Battles

(simply because they've existed before!)

I just wondered, looking at the 40K expansions and all the supplements Forgeworld has produced what lesson do you think GW can learn (if any)?

Memnos
01-09-2010, 14:58
That six months after they release a supplement, nobody will play it?

Unless there's a whole lot of people still playing Cities of Death. Or using the Jungle terrain rules out of Lustria. Or people doing a lot of Planetstrike.

I'm sure some group out there does. But I would say not to concentrate on things like that as they'll last all of 6 months before they drop precipitously off the face of the earth.

Talos
01-09-2010, 15:05
I agree with Memnos. Battle Missions and Planetstrike never took off at our club. They where played a few times when they first came out but now they are never played. They lasted about 2 weeks in our club.
I still have the Warhammer Siege book and I really enjoyed and we played it alot when it came out, but again after a few months it was gone.

I just dont think Expansions are worth it. The problem is many of them need special Terrain so if your club does not have anything and nobody wants to splash out then the expansion wont work.

I think they need to lessen all the different terrain for it.

SamVimes
01-09-2010, 15:22
wow..I played Cities of Death for the entirety of the latter half of me playing 40k, and I played Siege from the time I got it until 6th edition came out.

Guess I'm the type of player those things are targeted at...

Miredorf
01-09-2010, 15:33
I agree with Memnos. Battle Missions and Planetstrike never took off at our club. They where played a few times when they first came out but now they are never played. They lasted about 2 weeks in our club.
I still have the Warhammer Siege book and I really enjoyed and we played it alot when it came out, but again after a few months it was gone.

I just dont think Expansions are worth it. The problem is many of them need special Terrain so if your club does not have anything and nobody wants to splash out then the expansion wont work.

I think they need to lessen all the different terrain for it.

I think this is because general lazyness in players. Those expansions, specially those for 40k are ideal to make strategic and/or narrative campaigns which involve many different type of scenarios.

About Cities of Death, since it was out it has been the only way to play 40k for me (excepting some different self made scenarios here or there). I guess the idea fits with 40k like a glove on a hand.

Pushkin
01-09-2010, 16:15
That six months after they release a supplement, nobody will play it?

Hmm i think the forgeworld stuff/apocylpse is still going pretty strong. But i get the whole thing about battlemissions/Cities/planetstrike, that unless you have all the stuff and people willing to play it it kinda disappears.

I think Siege will work if it released after a "big battles" expansions and if they make it so all the rules work together, so Siege becomes more of an extension of "big battles" more than an expansion in its own right.

But i really think it depends on what support it all gets. 40k big battles work because it has forgeworld to support it and lots of cool new mods. People are more inclined to play apoc if they have a baneblade or a warhound lying around. I think for it to work for fantasy they need to make sure there is a model line to suppot any supplements.

theunwantedbeing
01-09-2010, 16:21
Yes because warhammer needs titans and giant tanks to be fun.....:angel:

Legendary battles was crap, simply because people just abused it.
I get to take 50 cannons as a single slot? hells yeah that'll make the game end on turn 1 nice and easily.

Seige, well....that's not really much different to a regular game.
It's just an alternate scenario.

rodmillard
01-09-2010, 16:22
I'd like them to learn that regular "expansions" are not a substitute for timely, well written army books. Doubt it'll happen though...

NightAngel
01-09-2010, 16:56
If they do a "Big Battles" one they better give me more power dice. ;)

Gorbad Ironclaw
01-09-2010, 17:06
Hmm i think the forgeworld stuff/apocylpse is still going pretty strong.

Again, I think it depends on where you are. I've tried it all of once just after it came out and that's itl. I think the gaming club I occasionally go to now have done it once or twice but I don't think it's been done at all this year.

I think it have better traction because it's actually getting continuous support from Forgeworld, but I still think it's a very small portion of the games being played. It's another one expansion that requires lots of investment to play, if it's not terrain it's big massive models.

I don't really know if GW can create expansions that will be massively popular and played lots. I think there best bet might just be to create neat idea books, hope that sells and then let the players sort if out if they want to play it.

The only things I'd be really interested in seeing was decent skirmish games set in both WFB and 40k, but if it were to be an expansion it would have to use the core game rules and then you are not going to get the decent skirmish game part.