PDA

View Full Version : Confused WOC question

Yamabushi
01-09-2010, 16:25
Hi there, esteemed Warseerites,

As a non-WoC player, I have a quick query on the "Eye of the Gods rule" on Pg 43 of the WoC Army Book.

The paragraph: "Chaos models that may issue challenges must do so.....Duplicate gifts must be re-rolled". I assume that is under the "Eye of The Gods" main rule?

Because of the wording "Chaos MODELS that may issue challenges must do so", it further goes on to say "Chaos CHARACTERS may not refuse a challenge" - Does it mean that normal unit champions must always issue challenges? Or does this apply only to units with the Eye of The Gods rule?

Lungboy
01-09-2010, 16:30
Yes, all champions that can issue a challenge must do so. If you look, no units have the Eye of the Gods special rule, it is an armywide effect. Some characters have the rule, and Trolls have a modified version, which allows them to roll on the table.

Leth Shyish'phak
01-09-2010, 16:30
Champions must always issue challenges if possible.

Models with the Eye of the Gods rule must always issue challenges if possible and are not allowed to refuse challenges that are declared, but are not forced to accept (your champion can take the challenge instead).

Yamabushi
01-09-2010, 16:36
Ok, so it works as thus:

All models that can issue challenges (including unit champions) must do so; characters cannot refuse a challenge (but are not forced to accept one). Characters with the Eye of The Gods rule (or unit champions if a Warshrine is in play) roll on the table whenever they kill off an enemy character in a challenge. Is that right?

I was playing against my WoC friend, and he was of the opinion that only models with the Eye of The Gods rule (i.e. characters only) - are forced to issue challenges

Lungboy
01-09-2010, 16:39
Sounds about right. Don't forget that it is enemy characters they have to kill to get a roll on the table, killing a champion isn't enough. Also, Trolls and Chosen have special rules concerning the Eye table.

Yamabushi
01-09-2010, 16:41
:) Thanks alot Lungboy and Leth Shyish'phak! That cleared things up!

stiggie
02-09-2010, 00:42
I thought it was how yamabushi's mate uses it..

i treat "eye of the gods" as a rule that only applied for models that have the "eye of the gods" in their profile.. meaning champions dont because they dont have the eye of the gods special rule

but if u use a chaos warshrine in an army the warshrine gives ur units "eye of the gods" so then the champions have to challenge etc..

using yamabushi's theory..

you charge in.. ur character has to challenge (as per EoTG rule).. and it kills a character.. (as per EoTG rule) whenever it does so it has to roll on the table.. warshrine or not..

u cant only use half a universal rule :3 lol

xxRavenxx
02-09-2010, 00:49
From the FAQ:

Q. Does the compulsion to issue and accept challenges apply to all
models or only to models with the Eye of the Gods special rule? (p43)
A. It applies to all models capable of issuing challenges.

So unit champions must accept, and must issue, challenges; wherever possible.

AMWOOD co
02-09-2010, 11:59
I thought it was how yamabushi's mate uses it..

i treat "eye of the gods" as a rule that only applied for models that have the "eye of the gods" in their profile.. meaning champions dont because they dont have the eye of the gods special rule

but if u use a chaos warshrine in an army the warshrine gives ur units "eye of the gods" so then the champions have to challenge etc..

using yamabushi's theory..

you charge in.. ur character has to challenge (as per EoTG rule).. and it kills a character.. (as per EoTG rule) whenever it does so it has to roll on the table.. warshrine or not..

u cant only use half a universal rule :3 lol

Good way to put it, now let's actually look at the rule. First thing I'm going to point out is that it can be divided into two seperate rules, Eye of the Gods Universal and Eye of the Gods Specific.

Eye of the Gods Universal is the first two sentences of the second paragraph of Eye of the Gods. It states:

Chaos models that may issue challenges must do so whenever they are able. Furthermore, such is their thrist for glory athat Chaos characters may not refuse challenges.

These two sentences apply to specific models in the whole army (namely models that can challenge and characters).

The next sentence reads:

Roll on the following table when a character with the Eye of the Gods special rule kills...

Therefore, only models with Eye of the Gods as a special rule may roll on the table when the conditions are met (winning a challenge and killing a large target).

It is worth noting that there are 2 special characters and 1 lord type that do not have the Eye of the Gods rule, but are still compelled to issue and not refuse challenges. These are Galrauch, Kholek, and Daemon Princes. These immortal beings have attained such approval over the millienia that superiority in battle is no longer rewarded, it is expected.

The only nitpicking point is that Champions are not characters and so wouldn't roll on the chart if a warshrine was present, but this was addressed in the FAQ for Warriors of Chaos along with pretty much every other issue that had come up from this rule.