PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Tactics - Lizardmen

ArmyC
01-09-2010, 16:30
I am an experienced wargamer, but new to Fantasy. I have a bunch of Lizardmen. I think I have everything, so list creation is not an issue. I expect to play 2000 to 2500 point games.

I come from many years of Warmachine and 1 year of 40k. I would like to know if there is a simple way to play Lizardmen and be effective. What units should I take. What size? How should they be formed up?

What are the mistakes that new players typically make?

I am thinking about playing with a ton of core units. How magical do I need to be?

ChrisIronBrow
01-09-2010, 17:57
Lizardmen are probably the perfect army for you to start Fantasy with after coming from Warmachine. In my experiences playing the Lizardmen army is more like a Warmachine game than any other army out there.

Lizardmen start and end with a Slann. The high leadership, plus the ability to carry a battle standard, and the magical support the slann adds to the Lizardmen form the core of the army in my opinion. I've never won a game where my Slann was killed. I've lost games with my Slann alive, but him dying is almost allways a game ending event.

Because of that, I think the list starts with a Slann, and how to protect him. and then builds out from there. Temple guard are an obvious choice (some debate of their power now).

After that, Saurus infantry, are good, really good. They're durable, reliable Hard hitting, cheap (for elite infantry) troops. Their only two weaknesses are low initiative, and average weapon skill.

Combined with a low infinitive Slann watch out for Initiative targeting spells like Pit of Shades or Purple sun.

I'd say be carefull of taking too many "toys" The dinosaurs in the list are great, but you need to be careful to include plenty of infantry as well.

Skinks really are great at harrasing your opponent. Their shooting threatens anything in the game, their fast, and their cheap.

ChrisIronBrow
01-09-2010, 18:03
How magical do I need to be?

Sorry, I meant to address this in my post. I very much think the True strength of the Lizardmen is in their ability to augment themselves with magic. You don't need to go crazy, but about 1/4 of the army on magic is reasonable, (basicly slann)

Every Lizardmen unit is great at what they do, but have one or two glaring weaknesses, magic is a great way to mitigate these.

For example:

Stegadons are vulnerable to Warmachines, magic can be used to heal them if your opponent doesn't kill them in a single turn.

Saurus have low weapon skill and initive, both of these can be raised by magic.

Also, as far as being a new player to the game, don't get too flustered if your army seems to be crippled in one turn, The game tends to have massive game swinging damage dealt every turn. Your not out of it till the game is over.

R3pr3ssor
01-09-2010, 21:25
take lots of salamanders. they are super easy to use, and with no template partials they kill so much its not even funny.

Vsurma
01-09-2010, 21:30
He said he would play 2000-2500pts games, 1/4 is heavy magic.

You can get away with very little. 300pts buys a slann with dispel scroll. That is the minimum amount to have a decent magic phase.

Alternatively you can take a slann and a skink priest or even 2 slanns.

WarmbloodedLizard
01-09-2010, 22:28
I say that the absolute basic Slann setup is Rumination, Cupped Hands and BSB (345pts). anything less ist just a waste of points (not on the slann, but the character you have to take to get the BSB).
my suggestion for a very core heavy list would be:

*************** 1 Lord ***************

Slann Mage-Priest
+ Focus of Mystery, The Focused Rumination
+ Ironcurse Icon, Cupped Hands of the Old Ones
+ Battle Standard Bearer, Standard of Discipline
+ Lore of Life
- - - >415 Points

*************** 4 Core Units ***************

24 Saurus Warriors, Musician, Standardbearer
- - - >282 Points

- - - >282 Points

- - - >282 Points

- - - >282 Points

*************** 4 Elite Units ***************

20 Temple Guards, Musician, Standardbearer
- - - >341 Points

6 Chameleon Skinks
- - - >72 Points

6 Chameleon Skinks
- - - >72 Points

6 Chameleon Skinks
- - - >72 Points

*************** 2 Rare Units ***************

1 Salamander
- - - >75 Points

1 Salamander
- - - >75 Points

Total: 2250

(customization options: spears on saurus (if you expect a lot of T3 5+AS troops) or Becalming cogiation (If you want better magic defense)

the list is extremely easy to play:
-chameleon skinks kill warmachines
-salamanders drop the unit count on very big/scary units
-5 saurus blocks just march forward
-slann buffs the blocks and maybe manages to snipe the enemy level 4 with dwellers below.

once you are comfortable with that, you will already know what other options you have. :)