PDA

View Full Version : Army of Caledor 3k

Hermanesq
02-09-2010, 09:39
How do,

Obviously theres gonna be a glut of Elf/Skaven lists around now, but heres my army proposal built around looks/units, more than tactical prowess/ingame abilities

However a couple of pointers that stay within the theme of Dragons, Dragons, Dragons wouldnt go amiss.

Elf Prince
Star Dragon
Armour of Caledor
Vambraces of Defense
Talisman of Loec
Great Weapon

Dragon Mage
Level 2 Upgrade

Dragon Mage
Silver Wand

30 Lothern Sea Guard
Full Command
Banner of Eternal Flame

25 Lother Sea Guard
Full Command

Dragon Princes x 5
Full Command
Potion of Strength
Razor Standard

Sword Masters of Hoeth x14
Full Command
The Amulet of Light
Banner of Arcane Protection

Currently kicks out at around 2700 points.

Now I know the 2 dragon mages are probably pointless, and that one with a regular level 2 with Lore of Life is probably a much better choice. But 3 dragons is cool. But if someone can tempt me into doing differently, it'll save me 30 quid on buying a third dragon, lol

Enjoy

Chris

Gmaleron
02-09-2010, 17:27
I really do like this list mate as i find it very fluffy and lets face it three dragons on the table at the same time will be pretty dang competitive if not downright scary for opponents to play. The only thing i could see wrong with that is (as you already mentioned) is you will be relying heavily on fire magic as thats all the dragon mages can take. Other then that let me break this down for ya:

Elf Prince
Star Dragon
Armour of Caledor
Vambraces of Defense
Talisman of Loec
Great Weapon

(Looks okay except id lose the Talisman of Loec because you will be wounded after you use it and that could possibly spell disaster if you are already down to 1 wound.)

Dragon Mage
Level 2 Upgrade

Dragon Mage
Silver Wand

(Very Decent even though already stated you will have alot of direct damage spells with this list especially with two dragons in the mix. Basically with this setup you have two level 2s so you will be able to get 4 spells from lore of fire which isnt to bad.)

30 Lothern Sea Guard
Full Command
Banner of Eternal Flame

25 Lother Sea Guard
Full Command

(If you want to save a few points here is a recommendation. Id run 2 units of 27 Lothern Sea Guard which will give you 752 points, pretty much the minimum requirement for core at 3000 points. If not that id recommend running them in a horde unit of 55 with the banner of eternal flame to give them magical and fire attacks and also make the unit 750 points exactly.)

Dragon Princes x 5
Full Command
Potion of Strength
Razor Standard

Sword Masters of Hoeth x14
Full Command
The Amulet of Light

(The problem i see with this is that you really are lacking numbers from your special choices. Also it is recommended to take some rares as i believe there are one or two scenarios in the book that if you dont have rares your opponent gets 1 point right off the bat. Id drop the dragon princes (though very caledor fluffy) and take some more swordmasters or phoenix guard even. If you army is going to be small to begin with phoenix guard would be a great choice because of their surviveability.)

Hope this helps mate and good luck!

Loopstah
02-09-2010, 18:35
Personally I would drop one of the Dragon Mages for another unit of Dragon Princes, they chew through most units and would probably do much more damage than one of the Mages.

Hermanesq
02-09-2010, 21:49
Hey there,

Cheers for the feedback guys, have now added the final 300 odd points that were missing, and taken onboard some of your advice and made some ammendments. So I present the following

3000 Pts - High Elves Roster

Elf Prince Aethelric
Great Weapon; Longbow; Dragon Armour; Shield
Star Dragon
Vambraces of Defense
Radiant Gem of Hoeth - Lore of Life

Dragon Mage of Caledor
Silver Wand
Dragonbane Gem

Dragon Mage of Caledor
Level 2 Upgrade

27 Lothern Sea Guard
Full Command
Banner of Eternal Flame

27 Lothern Sea Guard
Full Command

7 Dragon Princes of Caledor
Full Command
Razor Standard
Potion of Strength

14 Sword Masters of Hoeth
Full Command
The Amulet of Light

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

6 Ellyrian Reavers
Bows and Spears

Total Roster Cost: 2997

Just to highlight some of the selections.

Lord equipment - with the 4 fire spells in there, and the potential of the lore of life in this list to get its small numbers fighting again, it seemed a good idea to take. makes him a little bit more vunerable, but with the lores advantage of giving wounds back, he could be ok.

The Swordmasters stay for now, as do the reavers which have entered the list. TBH with the amount of IoB sets I need for the seaguard, I think its something like 7 boxes worth of elves that i need, which is gonna give me 35 reavers and 55 swordmasters aswell. And 7 griffons.

TBh I sense this will be my caledor army for 3k, I'd love todo a Saphery/Hoeth list of about 2, and 2k of Ellyrian/Tiranoc aswell. Add Tyrion and Teclis, and thats 8k worth of stuff, lol.

However, I am tempted to replace them with Pheonix guard when the new ones are released. especially if i can sort out dragon helms, to use them as 'dragon guard' for the army. again, fitting i hope for the theme.

The Eagles come in, but may well look at dragon models to represent them to continue the theme

The seaguard go 27/27 for looks and impressive. I was tempted by the 55 man horde, but 27/27 should do the trick. If I was hardcore enough, i'd be filing the seadragon from the shields to replace with a caledor symbol. unfortunatly im just not that cool right now, lol

Dragon knights get bumped up to 7 in number. And the champion could put the hurt on someone with his once per game, str 7 -5 armour save lance inserted somewhere painful.

Souns good I hope?

Chris

Gmaleron
03-09-2010, 05:20
Alright mate here is my take with your second list, now know not trying to be a jerk just wanting to help :D:

LORDS AND HEROES:

-Elf Prince Aethelric
Great Weapon; Longbow; Dragon Armour; Shield
Star Dragon
Vambraces of Defense
Radiant Gem of Hoeth - Lore of Life

(First off there is no reason for the longbow to be in that guys arsenal. It is a waste of points because you do not want to be sitting back with this guy, he should be getting right into the thick of the fighting by targeting flanks or warmachines. Lose the Longbow. Since you now have 10 points drop your shield for the enchanted shield from the rulebook, it is only 5 points and gives +2 to your armor. Now with Dragon Armor + Enchanted Shield + Mount = a 2+ save witha 4+ ward. Not to shabby. Also if he is going to take a lore give him Lore of Beasts and revert to the signature spell every time. The signature spell for beasts gives you +1 toughness and strength and on an already potent star dragon that is pretty scary.)

-Dragon Mage of Caledor
Silver Wand
Dragonbane Gem

-Dragon Mage of Caledor
Level 2 Upgrade

(With these two guys the only thing i would do is maybe drop the dragon bane gem and instead get the iron curse icon. For 5 points you get a 6+ ward save against war machines which may come in handy as cannons and other machines will be targeting you.)

CORE:

-27 Lothern Sea Guard
Full Command
Banner of Eternal Flame

-27 Lothern Sea Guard
Full Command

(Glad to see you used at least one of my suggestions! However if i may point out that maybe running a horde of lothern sea guard would allow you to have all your guys have magic and flaming attacks. Also since the high elf special rule combined with the horde rule all 5 ranks with spears could fight if charged, thats pretty good.)

7 Dragon Princes of Caledor
Full Command
Razor Standard
Potion of Strength

14 Sword Masters of Hoeth
Full Command
The Amulet of Light

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

6 Ellyrian Reavers
Bows and Spears

(The rest isnt bad especially since you are doing this because of the isle of blood box set, believe me im doing the same thing.)

Hope this helps. And man if you want i am looking to buy some 21 swordmasters since im only getting 2 boxes that im splitting with a friend. So if you want to unload a few id be more then happy to take a few off your hands :D.

Hermanesq
03-09-2010, 11:31
cool, again cheers for the feedback. Having reread the spell lists beasts is better and i'll add the sheild as suggested.↲
The 55 horde vs 27/27 i'll try in a few games. I like the idea of an extra unit in such a small army. But at the same time. 55 seaguard would look intimidating to any opponent...↲
On the dragon mage front, does their ability to swap a spell for flaming sword override the no duplicte rule?

Slayerthane
03-09-2010, 13:57
The dragon won't give the prince a +1 armor save from being mounted, because he's a monster mount. The highest you can get with Dragon Armor and an Enchanted Shield is a 3+ save. That's how it was in 7th and I don't believe this changed in 8th.

For the Prince I would be tempted to go with the Armor of Caledor and the talisman that lets you re-roll armor saves. Along with the Radiant Gem, that gives you 5pts of magic items to spare.

Fox Of 9
03-09-2010, 17:46
The dragon won't give the prince a +1 armor save from being mounted, because he's a monster mount. The highest you can get with Dragon Armor and an Enchanted Shield is a 3+ save. That's how it was in 7th and I don't believe this changed in 8th.
Dragon will give +1 to his save as all mounts do

thesheriff
03-09-2010, 20:36

For the Prince I would be tempted to go with the Armor of Caledor and the talisman that lets you re-roll armor saves. Along with the Radiant Gem, that gives you 5pts of magic items to spare.

now gives you the +1 aswell, but you still randomise 1-4 monster, 5-6 charecter

Loopstah
03-09-2010, 21:08
Personally I think Life is a much better choice than beasts on the Prince, if you roll Flesh to Stone I would keep it, anything else substitute for Earthblood to give your dragon a 5+ regen save, plus every time you get a spell off you can heal a wound on your dragon or the Prince and that will be very handy.

I'd rather keep the dragon alive killing things longer than boost its already formidable combat prowess.

Hermanesq
05-09-2010, 19:25
I'll give both lores a try, and see how it goes.

In the mean time, I gave thought to putting the other models from all these IoB to use, and came up with a funnier Ellyrion/Tiranoc List, Probably completely hopeless, but i'm always game for a laugh

Prince
General; Hand Weapon; Spear; Shield
Elven Steed
Reaver Bow
Armour of Destiny
The Gem of Courage

Mage
Level 2 Upgrade
Elven Steed
Starwood Staff

Noble
Battle Standard Bearer
Hand Weapon; Spear; Longbow; Light Armour; Shield
Elven Steed
Razor Standard

Archers (20#)
Full Command
1 Banner of Eternal Flame

Archers (20#)
full Command

Ellyrian Reavers (6#)
spears

Ellyrian Reavers (6#)
spears

Ellyrian Reavers (6#)
Bows Spears

Ellyrian Reavers x6
Bows

Ellyrian Reavers x6
Bows

Tiranoc Chariot
Tiranoc Chariot
Tiranoc Chariot

Not sure on a lore for the mage, Since the Caledorians have there Fire lore, im thinking something different for these boys?

thesheriff
05-09-2010, 20:49
I would do something more like this;

Archmage w. Lv.4, Forlaiths robes, Talismain of Saphery, Silver wand, Elven steed - Lore of Life
Mage w. Lv.2, Seerstaff - Lore of Beast, Amber Spear, Wyssans Wild Form
Noble, BSB, Enchanted Shield, Reaver Bow, Dragon Armour, Barded Steed
10 x archers w. banners
4 x 5 Reavers w. Bows
5 x Tiranoc chariots

Minimum sized units, more chariots, less reavers. and mages will do more than princes. thats only a guidline, but thats what i would do.