02-09-2010, 16:45
Hero:
Sorcerer Lord - 405
Mark of Tzeentch
Level 4
Disc of Tzeentch
Talisman of Preservation, Blood of Tzeentch
Bloodcurdling Roar
Will fly solo. The Blood of Tzeentch is there mostly to protect against miscasts.

Exalted Hero - 180
Mark of Tzeentch
Battle Standard Bearer
Shield, Sword of Swift Slaying, Ironcurse Icon
Will go with shield warriors.

Sorcerer - 181
Level 2
Chaos Steed
Infernal Puppet, Dragonhelm
Will take Death lore and ride with Knights.

Core:
17 Warriors - 342
Mark of Tzeentch
Shields
Full Command
Rapturous Standard

18 Warriors - 326
Mark of Tzeentch
Halberds
Musician, Standard Bearer

35 Marauders - 242
Mark of Tzeentch
Shields, Light Armor

5 Warhounds - 30

10 Warhounds - 60
I was thinking of using the smaller warhound unit for screening and the larger for warmachine hunting.

Special:
5 Chaos Knights - 230

Total: 1998

=====

It's not super competitive, but it's fluffy and hopefully not too much of a pushover.

I've also thrown up a 1k and 1.5k list around this, and will eventually expand it further. As of right now, I'm pretty happy with the way it looks. What do you guys think?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
02-09-2010, 18:44
Yeah it looks pretty good, I'd just drop some hounds to get the Charmed Shield on your lord and an extra knight, I like to run them in units of 6, even when they have a character joining them.

Hope this helps.

randomkrazy
03-09-2010, 00:11
Looks not bad. I would maybe change the level 4 to a lord and go hunting with him. With the way dice are generated it seems like you almost don't need a level 4 to me. A matter of opinion though I suppose.

geldedgoat
03-09-2010, 05:01
Thanks for the replies.

I probably should have included this in my OP, but in addition to wanting to adhere to the fluff, I also want the list to have some tactical diversity. That's why I included a smaller warhounds unit for screening and a larger one for warmachine hunting (or other things). Outside of characters, hounds and horsemen are two of the few units WoC has access to that doesn't just mindlessly run across the board.

That having been said, I'm not opposed to beefing up the knights. In one of the earlier drafts of this list, the shield warriors numbered only 14 (so they would run 5x3 instead of 6x3). I could drop those back down to free up points. Should I?

Looks not bad. I would maybe change the level 4 to a lord and go hunting with him. With the way dice are generated it seems like you almost don't need a level 4 to me. A matter of opinion though I suppose.

Nah, I'm pretty tied to the idea of a level 4 supported by a level 2. I'd be open to changing their equipment and lores, but I think it's definitely important to keep those magic levels.

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
03-09-2010, 06:31
In my experience, 1 miscast on the lvl 2 will result in a couple od dead knights-he's better on foot.

I use a tzeentch bsb with 4+ ward and favour with a flail, 4+ armour,3+ ward is excellent.

Warshrines and Helcannons are fandabulous.

03-09-2010, 06:32
oh and Pandemonium is my favourite spell in the game-it does soooo much in 8th

geldedgoat
03-09-2010, 07:38
In my experience, 1 miscast on the lvl 2 will result in a couple od dead knights-he's better on foot.

That... that's a very good point. :( I keep forgetting how deadly the miscast table can be this edition.

I have a dilemma then. I've already purchased three character models, two on foot and one mounted. What would you suggest I do? I thought about turning the mounted model into a BSB, but then he'd be sitting off on a flank, unable to lend rerolls to one, probably two, large blocks.

Warshrines and Helcannons are fandabulous.

Yeah, if I ever go larger than 2000 points, I'll probably use a Hellcannon (or two).

AussieLauren
03-09-2010, 10:26
I have a dilemma then. I've already purchased three character models, two on foot and one mounted.

Disc of tzeentch + magnets; the mount you ride on foot, that can join cavalry!

medevilmike
04-09-2010, 01:04
my bsb runs mounted with my knights and stays close to my trolls....12 vs 14m is a mosterous thing with rerolls...sadly my knights and bsb have yet to live through a game....but bsb is useful til i get my army in combat then i win neway

Eta
04-09-2010, 10:16
That... that's a very good point. :( I keep forgetting how deadly the miscast table can be this edition.

As long as you do not start to throw 4+ dice with your lvl 2, the chance to miscast is not an issue. And you have the puppet to help with the worse results on the table. I like the list, even if the sorcerer lord and backup sorcerer might be a bit too much in friendly games. I used this combo in a 4500 points game and they still did horrible things to my opponents army.

Greetings
Eta

geldedgoat
06-09-2010, 08:29
Over the weekend I did alot of mulling over this list and the suggestions and other comments I've received (thanks again for the input all!), and I've made a few changes.

The most noticeable change is the complete removal of one of the warriors units and the addition of a second knights unit. This has freed up enough points to make both knights units larger than the minimum of 5 and also give the sorcerer Conjoined Homunculus, making miscast explosions on my knights less of a concern (can't miscast on 1 die!).

Hero:
Sorcerer Lord - 405
Mark of Tzeentch
Level 4
Disc of Tzeentch
Talisman of Preservation, Blood of Tzeentch
Bloodcurdling Roar

Exalted Hero - 180
Mark of Tzeentch
Battle Standard Bearer
Shield, Sword of Swift Slaying, Ironcurse Icon

Sorcerer - 201
Level 2
Chaos Steed
Infernal Puppet, Dragonhelm
Conjoined Homunculus

Core:
17 Warriors - 342
Mark of Tzeentch
Shields
Full Command
Rapturous Standard

35 Marauders - 242
Mark of Tzeentch
Shields, Light Armor

5 Warhounds - 30

10 Warhounds - 60

Special:
6 Chaos Knights - 250
Musician

7 Chaos Knights - 290
Musician

Total: 2000 points on the nose

06-09-2010, 09:54
No Golden Eye on the level 4?
If he gets into combat he's FUBARred anyway-he's a great sniper and will draw all of the fire in the world,if he survives 4/5 turns then you should win as the spells are very nasty.

Gateway is better in this Ed as people tend to castle up.There's nothing funnier than removing 60% of your opponents army with 1 spell.

geldedgoat
06-09-2010, 10:14
No Golden Eye on the level 4?

Talisman of Preservation is a 4++ (buffed to 3++) against everything at a mere 20 points more.