PDA

View Full Version : Hobby+New Baby=?

Marshal Torrick
02-09-2010, 23:54
This one's for all the fathers out there. My wife is pregnant with our first son and I am wondering how you dads work out gaming with having a young child or children. Is it time to give it a break for a couple of years or can the hobby and the little ones coexist?

What I don't want to hear is "screw the kids, play MORE warhammer", or anything like that, I need to fulfill and more my responsibilities at home first.

Ultimate Life Form
02-09-2010, 23:58
Well, I think they can coexist - hard-working fathers deserve a time out with the boys every now and then after all - just not in the sense that you let your baby chew on the plastics. :p

JollyGoodChap
03-09-2010, 00:00
I think it'll be possible, just set a couple hours a week aside for you to have some hobby time/whatever else.

Just think, when they've grown up a bit you can involve them in the hobby too :p

TheKingInYellow
03-09-2010, 00:23
It's not up to the father, or the baby. The wife will make this decision.

TRUST ME.

Having said that, for at least the first year, you won't be playing much.

chromedog
03-09-2010, 00:36
^ What he said.

Not a dad (can't be), but the gaming mates who did become dads pretty much gave it up for the first year or two. They still stayed in contact with us, and met up every now and then, but their tabletop time was limited.

Ravenar
03-09-2010, 00:36
During the pregnacy of my first child, I played WHF and MMOs. After my son's birth, I decided to give up WHF mainly because I was in New Mexico and had very few opponents. Having a hobby (such as MMOs) will keep you sane while in New Mexico.

After my son was 3 years old and we were expecting my daughter, it was soon apparent MMOs were not for the family guy... at lease not one that wants to stay involved. After having no real hobby for about 6 months, I decided that was a bad path for sanity. :p

So I decided to get back into WHF. I found that WHF is a great hobby for an active father. When painting, it is easy to set things aside when the kids want attention. I also take one night a week to game at the local game store. From time to time, I also pick a tournament to attend.

Hope that helps.

DDogwood
03-09-2010, 00:55
I've barely done any wargaming since my daughter was born 2 1/2 years ago, and I'm planning to continue doing barely any wargaming until my newborn son is at least 3.

I manage to snag a couple of hours a week for painting, but wargaming and babies don't mix well.

Seabo
03-09-2010, 01:06
I took a short break when my son was born, maybe bout 6 months or so, but I found that parenthood did not put a serious damper on gaming at all.
There should always be someone..family, friends, what have you that would be more then happy to watch your child(ren) for a few hours every week.
And I actually find it funny with my sons absolute fascination in the game, he has already accumulated quite a pile of my old figs lol.
But the topping on the cake for me is that my wife also plays.....awesome lol.

Badbones777
03-09-2010, 01:06
Yeah I'm expecting to have to cut back a fair bit. My gf has said I can keep my books and gaming stuff in one corner of whats going to become a nursery/mancave for now mind, which is pretty cool of her. It's our first so my experience of gaming as a parent is limited, but as the OP stated I am guessinggaming time will implicitly be curtailed somewhat.

At least I've been promised I'm still allowed my weekly RPG night even if Wargaming has to become a now and then thing!

Grovel
03-09-2010, 01:16
I've just had a child 2 weeks ago and can tell you from my experiences, he does a LOT of sleeping... Plenty of time for a game of toy soldiers each time he goes down for a nap, or a painting session ect.

You just need to have a playing partner who doesn't mind you having to walk away from the table to check on him when the need arises and voila.

boreas
03-09-2010, 01:18
I'm the happy dad of 2 girls. Fortunately, all my best gaming friends have kids about the same age and our wives are friends too. So, we have our gaming week-ends and the wives have their "spa" week-ends. A new kid is a wonderful time to introduce your wife to the gamer-husband's best friend: scrapbooking! After putting the kids to bed, my wife will scrapbook while I paint and we'll chat about this and that. Once a week, I go play warhamme at my friend's place. Its better than most gaming store with the three 8x4 tables and multiple bookshelves where we store our armies (everyone in the group has 2 WH40k armies and 1 WFB army). Meanwhile, my wife knows I'm not at some bar getting drunk or doing stupid stuff.

Lately, I've started introducing my 6 years-old to WFB. We play with two rows of old archer skinks facing each other. Rules are simple you throw a die for each skink you have, hitting on a 4+. Then, you pick up the "hitting" dice and try to wound (still on a 4+). Finally, the opponent can try to save (on a 6+). First one to kill all the opponent's skinks wins. I've introduced a variant with a single mage on each side with 2 spell: Make your skinks' save 5+ for a turn or have you skinks hit on 3+ for a turn. The skinks can then target the opponent's skinks OR the opponent's mage. Pretty simple, but she loves it!

Also, you should try walking in a GW store with your wife and 2 daughters, priceless! Even more so when the redshirt finds the courage to ask you what you need and you reply: "Oh, I'm just picking up a few basic paints for my daughter. She's starting a lizardmen army". The icing? My daughter looking him straight in the eyes and saying "Oh yes, I starting with a unit of skinks and a skink priest!".

Phil

sinnir
03-09-2010, 01:32
I have a 17 month old and my wife is pregnant with our second due around May.

Working full-time, and nights I was hard pressed to get a ton of time for extra-curriculars (aside from painting that is - you will have a lot of time around the house, its just going to be bit and parceled in 15 to 60 minute increments). After that things will settle into a new normalcy. It would be very smart to work out a social arrangement with your partner - My wife and I aspire to try to do something together (just the two of us) once a week, she gets one night a week where I will watch my son and I get one night a week when I can go do something exclusive of the family. Of course it doesn't always work perfectly but its a pretty solid recipe for us.

Well best of luck and congrats!

Badbones777
03-09-2010, 01:41
The icing? My daughter looking him straight in the eyes and saying "Oh yes, I starting with a unit of skinks and a skink priest!".

Phil

The only way that could be any more awesome is if she'd said "No thanks, I know what I'm looking for!"

boreas
03-09-2010, 01:54
Oh, and the wonderful moments when my youngest was a baby and kept regurgitating. My older daughter started calling her "Baby Nurgle" :) So far, I've kept her from WH40k (too grimdark), but Fantasy can be pretty soft even for very young kids (I've told her Slaanesh if the god of "eating too much cake").

As Grovel said, babies sleep a lot at first, so that's good for painting. But the around-the-clock feeding and diaper changing might keep you from gaming away from the house for a while. But every mother love it when a dad spends time with the kids. If you keep gaming "clean" (eg not too violent, grimdark etc...), you'll build a nice relationship with them. Easy boardgames (candyland) will grow into "The game of Life", Stratego, Steller of Catan etc. It's really a lot of fun and grat learning experience for kids (gaming helps them with lots of concepts like bargaining, calculating risk, mathematics, reading, etc...).

In a few words: geek dads rule!

Phil

Ratbeast
03-09-2010, 01:57

TRUST ME.

Agreed, gets harder with more kids you have!!!!

Oh but when the kids come of age, more potential players ^^, own gaming room and everything, cant wait lol

Surgency
03-09-2010, 02:11
Lately, I've started introducing my 6 years-old to WFB.

IMO, start them young... At 2 months, they make a GREAT giant for large games... They have stomp attacks, yell and bawl, and if you hold them up right, they'll jump up and down :p

On a more serious note, I've had a couple friends who have kids in the middle of their WH careers. It'll slow things down for ya a bit, but with good friends you can still get games in, or have paint nights

freddieyu
03-09-2010, 02:15
IMO, start them young... At 2 months, they make a GREAT giant for large games... They have stomp attacks, yell and bawl, and if you hold them up right, they'll jump up and down :p

Hahaha! And if you roll right a vomit attack as well!

Sinaris
03-09-2010, 02:27
My daughter is nearly three and loves to do the things my partner and I do.
When I'm painting I give her an odd model, some of her own basic paints, brushes and let her go for it. I might add I have a stack of rainbow gobbo's strewn about the house.
As for the integrity of my models, our daughter Alira knows they are fragile and she has to be very careful and will ask me if she can touch them. It's funny when she can't sleep somtimes she asks me if she can talk to my stardragon which I bring in and talk to her with.

Of course, every child and family is different.
To me, I game once, twice a month and that's plenty, and having a child hasn't effected that. That said, my online gaming has dropped, I don't go out half as much with the guys anymore and I struggle to find to train at thr gym like I used to.

If it is your main hobby then you will likely see a significant drop, if it's your now and then hobby it should remain somewhat the same. In my experience at least.

Esco Thomson
03-09-2010, 03:48
I will add in here, for what it is worth:

I have a 7 year old son, and twin 3 year old daughters, go to school full time, as well as currently serve in the USARNG.

Where there is a will, there is a way. I hate to be black and white about it, but it really is that way.

The hardest part is obviously striking up that delicate balance. Just maintain it once you reach it, and all will work out.

Plus I have the added fun of my 7 year old always wanting to help paint and make his own guys, and my daughter always saying "Are those your bases Daddy".

Zaustus
03-09-2010, 03:58
My 3 year old daughter calls all wargames "Star Command" and all of my minis "Star Commanders." She always wants to paint with me (I let her, with an old brush and minis I don't care about). Just like the poster above me, she likes to ask about the bases. =)

My son is still an infant, so he doesn't have much interest yet.

As for hobby time, it's pretty easy for me to assemble models or paint in the evenings, after the kids are asleep. Games are harder; our local club meets on Sundays, so I go there as often as possible. One game a week is a pretty successful number for a father of young children.

Sinaris
03-09-2010, 04:49
I might add I usually game at night usually just after i've put my little one to bed. If you have that option it may also help. Just remember to return the favour and offer your partner her own recreational time, and of course endeavor to spend quality tine together as well. I have been "that" close to losing it all due to selfishness in my own interests and neglecting my relationship. You can have it all, just not all of the time.

Orangecoke
03-09-2010, 04:54
I have two young boys (<4 years) and have a baby girl due in oct. I only get a game in maybe 1 night every 2-3 weeks. However, I still paint a heckuva lot. Kids are in bed by 8 pm (without exception).

Oh and Saturday mornings the boys and I drive to GW so daddy can buy "his models". They each get a doughnut hole and I get a coffee. The store guys know the kids as regulars now :)

freddieyu
03-09-2010, 05:21
I put in a word of warning on how NOT to do things...

I've been playing since 1998, and I have 4 kids...3 sons (20,15,7) and a daughter (12)...

I have to admit I blew my opportunity to bring most of my kids into the hobby by devoting too much time to WHFB and 40k when they were in their formative years, so much so they view the hobby as a competitor for my attention. I was so gung ho into it that I did not manage to balance out the time. My wife tried to moderate and "wake me up" in those days but let's just say I was so into the game that I didn't listen.

The computer game Dawn of War did much to increase interest of my 2 older sons to the hobby, but my eldest has not patience for the miniature wargame aspect of it. My second, though, has shown interest and in fact I collected Space Marines and Necrons since I noticed he showed interest in them (due to the computer game). However, at his age of 15 I have played a couple of games with him (he actually beat me in a 750 pt game) but as of now he prefers to look for opponents his age, of which there are none...

He does read all the 40k reading material (imperial armor books, white dwarf) once in a while, so there is still hope. No forcing the issue, since i know it will backfire. I've mellowed a lot now (of course winning a few local GT's helped), but I still make time for games, as well as organizing and leading the local gaming club. Working from the house has helped a lot, since I get to paint and game when they are in school, as compared to before when I did my WH stuff during our common free time...

Anyway, just sharing folks! Balance is key!

Lord Inquisitor
03-09-2010, 05:44
I find there are stages.

Pregnancy - oddly enough this is the time to put the models away and spend time with the wife. Go out to the movies, pub, club or whatever you enjoy doing together. These are the things that'll become much harder later. Plus you'll be dealing with a borderline insane hormonal pregnant wife ;)

Newborn - apart from the sleep deprivation, poo and vomit, this is an easy time. Baby sleeps whole lot. Not probably going to want to get out a but it's a good time to catch up on the old painting. Baby will leave you alone. Gaming is pretty easy if you can set up a board in your house.

Toddler - painting and modelling gets harder as baby is now hell bent on sticking your scalpel in his or her mouth. Need to fit modelling and gaming around baby's routine unless you have somewhere to hide. You're going to need time to yourself so a regular game night is a good thing as everyone deals well with routine.

Early school age - they can start getting involved with modelling or at least doing crafts alongside you. A great thing is if you have friends who game and have kids the same age, you can take the kids round, they play while you game - and you get brownie points for taking the kids out, bonus!

Later on kids can actually get involved in the hobby, but it's good not to try to start too early (10 is about the earliest I think) but this can get difficult when the oldest is ready and the younger one is too little - but these are problems way down the line! (For me too, I've friends with older ones, my eldest is only 6)

Urgat
03-09-2010, 06:11
This one's for all the fathers out there. My wife is pregnant with our first son and I am wondering how you dads work out gaming with having a young child or children. Is it time to give it a break for a couple of years or can the hobby and the little ones coexist?

Baby and warhammer? I'll tell you that much: babies take washes better than drybrushing, I heard.

More seriously: depends. All the comments above are sound, but they apply only to one couple. I've had the luck (?) to witness many a friends generating spawns over the last years, and things are totally different depending on both the horny ape and the breeder. Some will require unconditionnal attention, others will want peace, well, you'll see, I guess it's part of the fun. And after that, it depends on the spawn. Some are marvelous (?) creatures, so quiet you wouldn't believe it, they bellow regularly, like a clock, for their timely meal, and then leave you alone for the rest of the day. Others are more invading than a band of marauding goblins. I guess that's part of the fun too. After that, it mostly depends on the spawn's gender. But then we enter the world of True Chaos, one that cannot be comprehended nor explained.

shelfunit.
03-09-2010, 06:22
Well, I am about to find out the answer to this conundrum myself as the firstborn comes home from hospital today :) .
I am hoping that during feeding (after watching lovingly for about 15mins) I can do a little painting, and when he is a bit older I can get the odd game in every other week or so.
Not really sure on the best age to start him up in the hobby, but there are a couple of other threads about that.

EDIT: So far he appears to be a sleeper, and relatively quiet when awake. He can out-wail a police car when he gets irritated tho... and the nappies... I thought Purple Sun was bad....

Nerje
03-09-2010, 06:22
Don't accidentally paint your baby, and be warned that your wife may become possessed by daemons during your baby's "deployment".

Also, congratulations.

freddieyu
03-09-2010, 06:34
Well, I am about to find out the answer to this conundrum myself as the firstborn comes home from hospital today :) .
I am hoping that during feeding (after watching lovingly for about 15mins) I can do a little painting, and when he is a bit older I can get the odd game in every other week or so.
Not really sure on the best age to start him up in the hobby, but there are a couple of other threads about that.

EDIT: So far he appears to be a sleeper, and relatively quiet when awake. He can out-wail a police car when he gets irritated tho... and the nappies... I thought Purple Sun was bad....

congrats as well.....nothing beats the feeling of seeing your firstborn for the first time....its as if someone has cast an augment spell on you...

edit: nothing beats seeing your offspring for the first time, not just your firstborn!

Clobbersaurus
03-09-2010, 07:17
When my wife was pregnant, she was tired a lot. I played a lot of CoD 4 and did a fair amount of painting. Hobby time will be rare for the first year or so, but once they start sleeping through the night, and going to bed by 8:00, you'll have plenty of time for hobbies.

ltsobel
03-09-2010, 08:09
I chose an excellent time to get back into warhammer during my wifes pregnancy :) one thing i would say money can get a bit interesting depending on your wifes maternity leave so big purchases of figures may have to wait. 13 months post birth am now getting time to wargame again.

Avian
03-09-2010, 08:35
My daugher was born in March and I'm just now getting back into my normal gaming routine. Next month I'm going to my first tournament this year and hope to get some painting done, despite my hobby room being converted to a nursery.

Our baby's not much inclined to play by herself for any lenghty period of time (she's sitting on my lap at the moment, so I'm typing with one hand) and she goes to bed quite late, so it's not easy to find spare ime and energy.

But it's a great time once you hit three months or so and they start getting interested in the world around them. :)

Baby says hi: gbsz0000000000000000 v

Spider-pope
03-09-2010, 08:50
I managed to keep up the hobby whilst my young'uns were babies, although as others have said you'll probably be restricted to painting rather than getting time to play (unless you have parents you can con into babysitting).

What i will advise however is placing all hobby materials into baby proof cupboards or a locked room, because once the little fellow starts crawling they will get into your stuff unless you are careful. And don't leave your rulebooks laying around where little hands can reach. At best you'll have a newly coloured in book, at worst a vomit stained one.

Kaos
03-09-2010, 08:58
I am on my second kid now and i still have a living breathinghobby, but a bit toned down. Theres tons you can do in between taking care of kids or even during. Like now im celaning models up, sketching and planning. Because a bit now and then you notice you end up with some 2-3 hours where you can really go for it and paint everything you managed to prepare.

Gone are the time when you could sit for 8 hours in a row and paint. Its more of doint little now and then now.

And you have to take time off some time too and ten a game of warhammer is perfect.

Hope it helps you to not go hobby-suicide!

Cheers-Kaos

Kaos
03-09-2010, 09:00
(she's sitting on my lap at the moment, so I'm typing with one hand)

Dito! One hand writing ftw! :P

Lord of Divine Slaughter
03-09-2010, 09:21
Take the time to do it, and make sure your wife has room to something for herself once in a while. Babies are the number one reason for couples to split up, because its a rare few, who can stand each other enough (or live without external stimuli) to make that picture perfect family.

Also, if you kick your wife out of the house once a week, while you take care of the daemon spawn, you'll have time for painting ;)

lycanthought
03-09-2010, 09:27
I'd just like to add a bit - we had our first child in January and I've found that I can still find time to paint when she's sleeping, but as I work full time, I've only had two games in those seven months and both times I have found I would rather be spending the time with her than playing games.... Priorities change!

KHolbourn
03-09-2010, 09:38
I'd just like to add a bit - we had our first child in January and I've found that I can still find time to paint when she's sleeping, but as I work full time, I've only had two games in those seven months and both times I have found I would rather be spending the time with her than playing games.... Priorities change!

What I don't want to hear is "screw the kids, play MORE warhammer", or anything like that, I need to fulfill and more my responsibilities at home first.

First off congratulations to you all :) plus all other dads in the thred.

I didn't even get back into the hobby till ~18 months ago and that was when my wife was ~3 months pregnant with our first. She's about to turn 1 now and gaming is pretty much the same as before she was here.

I get ~2 hours/evening (after bed time and dinner) to paint or relax and as long as my wife isn't doing a Tuesday night shift then I go down to Pigmar for a game. Or on a different night head round to mates. I could easily play 1/week if other social activites/ work didn't get in the way.

Just donn't xpect much time for the first 3-5 months until thing settle down.

Oh, and Good luck :D

Engekomkommer
03-09-2010, 12:12

TRUST ME.

Agree with the first part, disagree with the second.
I still play every tuesday, and sometimes on a sunday, and spend a couple of hours a week painting. I haven't been to the pub in about a year however...

fer
03-09-2010, 13:18
imo your far better off playing WFB then an MMO or things of that ilk, your gf (*cough* marry her *cough*) shouldn't take issue so long as you give her a corresponding time to decompress as a parent as well...just don't force her to take care of the kid while your off doing your painting or modeling, etc and be available if she needs you for something...being available and not pissy if she asks you something is key :)

Lars Porsenna
03-09-2010, 15:16
I have 2 kids: a 4.5yo girl and a 1.5yo girl. If you're used to playing 3-5 nights a week, forget it. HOWEVER, make a deal with the wife/mother: you get your Warhammer night and maybe she gets another night "baby-free." Both of you will be praising what a great idea this is. Sometimes you need a little time away from the kids, no matter how much you might love them; for the purposes of your sanity a break every now and then is neccessary (or at least I find).

Re: painting. I don't do nearly as much painting now as I did before kids (which was pretty much 6pm to whenever I decided to stop, though it was variable depending on what the wife wanted to do that night). These days I get in maybe an hour or so. But if you're pulling baby duty, early on they only really do one of 3 things: sleep, poop and eat. Plenty of time for painting. It's later when they become more active/mobile that time becomes more scarce. That being said, both my kids are in bed by 9pm, so I can get in a painting session, and do a little pre-bedtime reading. If I have just my older daughter for the day, I can usually get in a few sessions (such as on a weekend), since the 4yo can entertain herself for the most part.

Damon.

syrme
03-09-2010, 15:17
take a break for a few months - do a little painting when you can squeeze in the time and then slowly try and reintroduce the gaming into your schedule. You are going to have your hands full for a while so enjoy the new baby and wait until he/she gets into a reasonably regular routine before you start gaming again

harthag12
03-09-2010, 15:20
My sons 16 months old & it's tough. When he was super tiny I'd get up w/ him the every 2 hours he has to feed & help my wife out, he also would not sleep unless held so the first 2 months we were zombies. We were wimps and got up w/ him everytime he screamed so for the first 12-13 months we were up 4-5 times a night trying to get him to sleep. He now sleeps thru the night or maybe gets up 1x so it's not bad. I can paint after he goes to bed at like 7:30 but he also gets up every morning at 5:00 so the wife & I are usually tired. I also feel guilty going out w/ out the wife so I haven't gamed in awhile, figure she's a teacher, she had the summer off & spent all day w/ him, when I got home I know she wanted a break so I have him till he goes to bed.

We do still goto the bar for dinner 1x a week, he's a local there & he has good taste in the little hotty waitresses, they fawn all over him. It's a family friendly bar though so it's ok & we're never there past 7pm.

PS: they really do grow up fast & change quickly, all the little things they do are super cool so you definatly want to be around to see it, take alot of photo's to. Never thought I'd think someone was so cool but my son is.

Malorian
03-09-2010, 15:57
When they are first born other hobbies obviously take a back seat.

Once things have settled however there is no reason why you can't get out for a couple of hours each week. In fact I highly suggest that you arrange 'nights out' for both you and your wife.

One day you watch the kid(s) while she goes out, and then another day it's the reverse.

It gives everyone a break and fresh.

Additionally if you live near family yoou should find a day every second week or so where they watch the kids and you go out as a couple.

AlphariusOmegon20
03-09-2010, 16:10

Speaking as a "new" father (my daughter is 10 months old now), I've learned that the two can coexist, just not at the level you were used to.

We assigned a "daddy" day once or twice a week, depending on what's going on, where I can go to GW, play games and work on my hobby without having my daughter with me. That always coincides with my wife's day off, so she watches the baby that day. (I'm retired from the Army, whereas she still works, so usually I have the baby most of the time.)

I also find time late at night to hobby, as I'm also a bit of an insomniac and usually don't go to bed until 1 or 2 in the morning.

I guess I'm getting the best of both worlds really.

P.S. do NOT tell your wife under any circumstances that you want paint the kid green for Halloween so she can go trick or treating on the back of your 60 lb Husky as a Goblin Wolf Rider, even if you're joking. I'm still in the dog house over that little joke.

shaso_iceborn
03-09-2010, 16:22
I have 3 kids all under 4 a daughter 3 and 1/2, a son about a yr and 1/2, and a 2 month old son. I paint when mom is out shopping and get one day a weekend every other week to play. though the daughter loves to watch us play and even roll dice for myself and my opponents. my 1 and 1/2 yr old rolls dice sometimes too. (thank you GW for all the white dice in starters)

In short I include my daughter and son in games just not directly yet. Besides they might make great hobbists themselves later.

When I got my first 2 battlewagons my daughter's words were "My Trukks?" which will always be a fond memory as well.

MarshalFaust
03-09-2010, 16:25
I also have a 1 month old and i don't see why the two cant coexist. i think its important to keep a sense of yourself and your friends. i also made a deal with my wife that i would keep all my hobby expenses budget neutral. which means i have taken up a lot of commission painting work to pay for my habit. i also put a gaming table in my garage which means i can still have friends over for a game but my wife doesn't feel like im leaving her alone with the baby all the time and baby can watch daddy play his games in her swing if mom needs a break.

tdc500
03-09-2010, 16:50
P.S. do NOT tell your wife under any circumstances that you want paint the kid green for Halloween so she can go trick or treating on the back of your 60 lb Husky as a Goblin Wolf Rider, even if you're joking. I'm still in the dog house over that little joke.

That is just pure awesome... i might try that with my neice... :shifty:

DarkMark
03-09-2010, 17:06
I've just had a child 2 weeks ago and can tell you from my experiences, he does a LOT of sleeping... Plenty of time for a game of toy soldiers each time he goes down for a nap, or a painting session ect.

You just need to have a playing partner who doesn't mind you having to walk away from the table to check on him when the need arises and voila.

Oh how that will change!:p

As long as you realise the new house order is:

1. Baby
2. Missus
3. House pet
4. Daddy i.e you.;)

It depends really how many other interests you have. You have to make sacrifices plain and simple. Your me time will be limited so you'll have to choose whats most important.

Another often over looked fact is that your hormone levels will change.:eek:Its mothernature's clever way of calming down the father so he's less of a threat to baby. Gaming wise this may mean you're less bothered about smashing your opponent.

Marauder Carl
03-09-2010, 17:13
Newborn - apart from the sleep deprivation, poo and vomit, this is an easy time. Baby sleeps whole lot. Not probably going to want to get out a but it's a good time to catch up on the old painting. Baby will leave you alone. Gaming is pretty easy if you can set up a board in your house.

Toddler - painting and modelling gets harder as baby is now hell bent on sticking your scalpel in his or her mouth. Need to fit modelling and gaming around baby's routine unless you have somewhere to hide. You're going to need time to yourself so a regular game night is a good thing as everyone deals well with routine.

Exactly my experience. Toddlers are more demanding of parents. Instead of sticking the scalpel in the mouth, mine got a hold of a sealed metal tube of superglue and burst it in his mouth. Thankfully it doesn't really stick to wet tissue. Nightmare for me at the time though. Take extra care to always secure hobby hazards thoroughly every time. The baby gate removed from the toddlers room as he doesn't really need it, but it was placed on my door, and remains.

Duncan Ferguson
03-09-2010, 17:26
I have a three month baby and in spite of him being a restless one (lovely baby, anyway), we two find time for our hobbies.

Thing is we have a lot of hobbies (cycling, playing rugby, painting miniatures, playing computer games...) and it's almost impossible to keep track of everything. But it gets better with time...and when he is 12 years old, he will be a better painter tha me, I guess

Brother Drakist
03-09-2010, 17:35
I think I have spent 30 minutes on my "hobbies" since he arrival of my son. He is about 4 months old now and dominates our time. The wife is one of those types who always finds something to do when allotted time and if I am not doing the same I get the "look." Bare in mind I will be playing soccer/football 2 nights a week in the not too distance future so I will have that going for me. Wargaming time has nosedived to almost nothingness.

beaumontbrawler
03-09-2010, 17:41
I have 4 (5y, 3y, 18 mo & 4m), and I play every saturday.

Address the issue head on with the wife, and see what she wants out of the deal. In my case, the negotiations went on for a couple of weeks, and modifications to original plans were made along the way.

Current situation is that wife gets one night per week out with her friend, and I get each saturday out to game.

If you pull your weight during the rest of the week, it shouldn't be much trouble to get at least one day/night per week to game.

Painting is a totally different story . . . most of which (when done, if at all) is done between 4a.m. & 7a.m.

PS - Kids will break your minis, so never keep them where kids can reach them . . . or fall into a box of them (cuz that really sucked!).

Lowmans
03-09-2010, 21:40
Don't have much to add to the wealth of wisdom on offer here!
Good luck!

Congratulations on your happy news!

alterade
03-09-2010, 23:17
Well as written before , the first year is bad for gaming , but with a good understanding wife you can play once a week .
And if your kid grows older you are cool , well until now ( 2 girls , 6 and 8)
all the stories and pics and the nice minis , but they have their own armies (or I some
more )

AlphariusOmegon20
04-09-2010, 01:01
That is just pure awesome... i might try that with my neice... :shifty:

LOL when mine was two weeks old, my wife and I took her into a GW for the first time with a sign attached to the stroller.

It said "Quiet, Sleeping Grot." :D

Yes, we have very weird senses of humor.

rodmillard
04-09-2010, 09:00
I concentrated on painting up my massive backlog of minis while my two were babies (trust me, you will need a quiet hobby - you'd be amazed what they can sleep through, but equally the strangest things will wake them up!). Having friends over for a beer and a game has gone out of the window.

But now they are both a bit older (my youngest is now 18 months) I have started going to club nights once a fortnight, which has saved my sanity (and by extension my marriage!). My wife has her own hobbies which take her out once or twice a week, and we both find the time for our own interests is vital.

Heimagoblin
04-09-2010, 12:05
I wish all threads on warseer were as well manered as this!

Make sure you give youself a daddy day and your partner a momy day per week and i'm sure it will all work out well. Good luck!

unwanted
04-09-2010, 14:22
May your newborn sleep tightly, so that painting-time is not diminished.

In my own experience, the largest hindrance is the hormonaly charged and volatile mother that will view any moment not spent "constructively" as a direct assault on the security and prosperity of the baby, but that might just be my girlfriend (And no, I will not marry her:D). Our daughter is six months now, and the only real issue is keeping any fallout from modelling away from her...

Havock
04-09-2010, 14:52
(I've told her Slaanesh if the god of "eating too much cake").

I suppose Tzeentch will be the god of "the cake is a lie"?

Esco Thomson
04-09-2010, 15:33
Make sure you give youself a daddy day and your partner a momy day per week and i'm sure it will all work out well. Good luck!

+1

This has been a HUGE factor in my successful post marriage/children gaming life.

It is like the first law of Alchemy, except with more puking, crying, and shat in pants.

w3rm
04-09-2010, 20:59
I really like the Skink archer idea. That seems a great way to get someone who is younger into the hobby. But first you gotta make em paint em :p

Anvilbrow
04-09-2010, 22:23
Having kids (3) slowed me down a touch, but not really. My wife and I both realized the need for adult contact outside of career and we made sure to provide each other with a night or two each week to do what we wanted to do.

It didn't work all the time, but enough to keep me in the hobby.

Now my boys are getting to the playing age, which has rejuvenated a flagging interest in gaming for me, although finding time to do it now is harder than when my kids were babies/toddlers. Between piano, soccer, ballet, cross country, school performances, etc, nearly every night of the week is already spoken for!

DruchiiMagic
04-09-2010, 22:36
I have one child, 10 months old. My gaming is 1 night a week worked out with my wife. I've spent this first year trying to get my entire Dark Elf army painted after he goes to bed 5 nights a week. It will be done in one more month.

olberon
05-09-2010, 00:54
First of a big gratz on have the baby ofc :D

Being a father of 2 kids (2 and 3) im conviced that kids and the hobby are possible to exsist next to eachother. and like more of the posters said you have plenty of time in the evening to build/paint/convert your mini's just be carefull with any clippings and sharp tools laying around.

lucky for me we had a spare room which i claimed to be my "warroom" its off limits to the kids and as young as they are, they get it... (still confused about that one) Lucky for me my wife also plays/paints etc... so in the house there is always a mini around. the kids love them, my son love the hobby so he got his first army already which he painted all the colours of the rainbow.

So yeah dont sweat it... there is always a way to make the hobby fit into your family life. There is even a possibilty your baby is going to be a player him/herself which imo is pretty cool :D

perplexiti
05-09-2010, 01:03
As a lot of people have said, it's all about the balance. There is time for gaming/painting/modelling, you just have to remember that your wife and child need attention too.

My kids are 5 & 3 at the moment, I get in more games and hobby time now than when they were babies. It's just a bit of a waiting game early on.

Now they both ask about my minis all the time and like other posters have said, I just chuck an old brush and minis at my kids now and let them have at some old minis I don't use.

Lars Porsenna
05-09-2010, 02:39
Now they both ask about my minis all the time and like other posters have said, I just chuck an old brush and minis at my kids now and let them have at some old minis I don't use.

This is always a good idea! I've a few times bought my older daughter a plaster figure, and I still have a lot of craft paints lying around (I'm a paint junkie). We'll sit at the kitchen table and paint. Of course she paints and repaints the same figure over and over, but she loves to paint (and I hope loves to do it with daddy around too). AND she thins her paints (dips the brush in water before dipping in paint)!

Damon.

wizbix
06-09-2010, 20:35
In the same situation but havent had the same thoughts. So what your having a child? Yes the responsibility will be big but there is always some time left in your life to fullfill your hobby needs even if it is on a vastly reduced scale at first. My child is due any day, literaly, but this kind of thought simply isnt figuring in to my plans too much, except for cost that is!!!