PDA

View Full Version : fisrt time fantasy player, thoughts plz

High speed low drag
03-09-2010, 02:09
Hi seers, this will be my first fantasy army ever, I have been playing 40k for 13 years now and thought I would give this a go. i decided lizerdmen as they sort of similar to my brother converted salmanders army. without further adu my list, let me know what you think, I will put a brief run down at the end:

Lord:
Slann mage priest, 3 disciplines, sheild of the mirrored pool, plaque of dominion = 455pts

Core:
20 saurus warriors, champion, musician, standard = 140pts

Special:
40 temple guard, musician, standard = 658

Rare:
Salamander hunting pack, extra skink - 80

totaling 1473pts

Rundown:

the idea is to have my lord with the temple guard and give him the disciplines of transcendent healing, higher state of consciousness and unfathomable presence with his pool shield, making him invunrable to all attcks exept magic, and giving him regenerate and magic resistance 3 and with the sheild all enemy spells are bounced back on a 2+

temple guard do not have a champion and with the lord being in the 2nd rank the enemy can not issue challenges, other than that the saurus units will move up with the guard to provide flanking cover to them and the salamander should thin the enemy before I get to them.

feel free to pass me your thought :D

VoodooJanus
03-09-2010, 02:59
Hi seers, this will be my first fantasy army ever, I have been playing 40k for 13 years now and thought I would give this a go. i decided lizerdmen as they sort of similar to my brother converted salmanders army. without further adu my list, let me know what you think, I will put a brief run down at the end:

Lord:
Slann mage priest, 3 disciplines, sheild of the mirrored pool, plaque of dominion = 455pts

Core:

Special:
40 temple guard, musician, standard = 658

Rare:
Salamander hunting pack, extra skink - 80

totaling 1473pts

Rundown:

the idea is to have my lord with the temple guard and give him the disciplines of transcendent healing, higher state of consciousness and unfathomable presence with his pool shield, making him invunrable to all attcks exept magic, and giving him regenerate and magic resistance 3 and with the sheild all enemy spells are bounced back on a 2+

temple guard do not have a champion and with the lord being in the 2nd rank the enemy can not issue challenges, other than that the saurus units will move up with the guard to provide flanking cover to them and the salamander should thin the enemy before I get to them.

feel free to pass me your thought :D

Well- you spent too much on your Slaan for one. Even at exactly his cost, the point limit for the game would have to be at least 1820 pts to take him (so essentially 2000 points). I'd either advise a different character, or upping your points limit (although it seems like you have limited models, which I totally understand.)

Those things aside- I think you took too much wargear+upgrades on the Slaan. The mirrored shield is good, yes, but it isn't effective against all spells, just magic missiles. That means that you're immune to the middling damage spells, but the ones that really hurt LM (ie purple sun + pit of shades) are still going through.

On top of that, he already is protected enough being inside of a Temple Guard unit. I'd focus on the more offensive/casting based disciplines rather than the defensive ones. The first thing I'd do is remove the ethereal discipline. Then, I'd take rumination instead.

The army is good, but it suffers from two weaknesses-
the first is that it has low initiative. This is a problem in general for Lizardmen, but having a Skink unit or two really helps out in that regard.

the second is that your army is very, very small. You have 3 units, and a salamander pack. It's not impossible to use, but remember that you have 8 feet of deployment to fill, so some armies are going to absolutely swamp you.

Of course, the most important change is the Slaan mage priest point decrease, or the list increase, which should help even things out.

High speed low drag
03-09-2010, 03:41
I am still new to the rules but I have been reading the new rulebook and do the new rules not negate the maximum points value of a lord in 1,500?

VoodooJanus
03-09-2010, 03:57
I hadn't noticed that rule, although that very well may be true... I don't have my BRB on my ATM.

Still, my points stand.

I'd drop some of your slaan upgrades nonetheless, in favor of more troops. Also- what lore are you taking with the Slaan? Life?

If you DO want to bring a larger point army, it could be accomplished simply by adding an Engine of the Gods. It's very useful in a super-slaan list.

Anyways- your list is very very character heavy at the moment. It's usable, but it's not going to be the easiest list in the world to play.

Slothmasta
03-09-2010, 14:37
I am still new to the rules but I have been reading the new rulebook and do the new rules not negate the maximum points value of a lord in 1,500?

Double Negative? The FAQ for lizardmen states to ignore the page about 'choosing your army' which means you must use percentages from the BRB.

I'd recommend maybe:
1x Slann Mage Priest
- Focus of Mystery
- Focused Rumination
- The Becalming Cogitation

or take one of the disciplines away (The Becalming Cogitation), add Cupped Hands or another item and maybe add a Saurus BSB???

give him the disciplines of transcendent healing, higher state of consciousness and unfathomable presence with his pool shield, making him invunrable to all attcks exept magic, and giving him regenerate and magic resistance 3 and with the sheild all enemy spells are bounced back on a 2+

You've probably given the Slann the worst discipline options it could have. I recommend Focus of Mystery for the whole lore (unless you are taking Plaque of Tepok for 5/7 spells), The Focused Rumination for the extra power dice (just amazingly powerful) and The Becalming Cognitation to lock out enemy caster's. Transcendent Healing is void as the Slann already gets a 4+ ward save (Transcendent Healing gives you a 4+ Regen save which is worst and you cannot have both a regen and ward save). Higher State of Consciousness
is good if you aren't putting the Slann in a TG unit. Unfathomable Presence is ok if you are putting the Slann in a TG unit but other choices are better (so only choose if you have points to waste).

Slann also cannot take armour as it doesn't have the option to take mundane armour and weapons.

40 Temple Guard is way to much, especially if you are running a Life Slann. I recommend 16-20 depending on if you are running 5 or 6 wide (I prefer 20 for rear guard/OCD)

Chameleon skinks are great as well. I'm partial to Stegadon's but that is only because I love the model, it would be a personal choice as they have some positive and negative aspects about them now in 8th (TLOS etc).

ArnhemKnight
04-09-2010, 03:31
I agree more or less with the previous posters.

You can only spend 1/4 of your points on lords. In 1500 point games, that means your lord can only be 325 points. I recommend Mystery and Rumination disciplines and Lore of Life. That's really all he needs. Rumination really helps you stretch a magic phase, and Throne of Vines provides miscast protection.

If you want to take a horde, I'd make it a horde of saurus, not temple guard. TG are too expensive to buy 40. You just don't need that many. They're already all but impossible to break with cold blooded, stubborn, and immune to psych. Take 16 to run 5 wide or 20 and run six wide. The Regrowth spell can bring back the losses.

I'd spend the saved points on a saurus bsb for one of the saurus units. A unit of skink skirmishers (or chameleons) to act as a flank screen would also be helpful. Either that or more salamanders.

ramongoroth
04-09-2010, 03:33
I'm afraid your math is off. 20 Saurus with full command is 250. 140 points is only 10 guys with fc. I prefer groups of 24 saurus myself for a 6x4 formation.

40 TG is really ginormous at this point level. If you're new to fantasy I'd recommend a smaller group (16-24) and then take some other units to round out your force. Skirmishing skinks (regular or chameleons), saurus blocks of 24-30 and/or possibly another salamander or two.