PDA

View Full Version : Pre Heresy Thousand Sons

Khorneguy
03-09-2010, 16:05
With the release of the pre heresy armour by Forge World, i've decided to take the plunge and collect a pre heresy/heresy era army. The one legion that's always caught my attention is the Thousand Sons.

Now the thing that's been bugging me is what parts to use. I'm planning to get the Crusade or Corvus pattern armour for their bodies (I know that Corvus suits didn't come into into service until after the heresy, but their bodies look the part).

The thing that keeps bugging me is their head. I was thinking about useing the metal Thousand Son heads from the boxed set, but then i saw the cover of 'A Thousand Sons' and i looks like their helmet crests were a lot smaller in the pre heresy era, so what heads should I use? What parts have other people with pre heresy Thousand Sons used?

Also, what bolters should i use? The ones from the Thousand Sons boxed set? Or i was thinking about mixing in some of the new Forgeworld ones?

Also, what models should I use for squad leaders and HQ's? the current Thousand Son sorceror models look a little too chaotic for my liking.

Basically i'm asking what other people have done with their heresy-era Thousand Sons

Magos Explorator
03-09-2010, 19:16
I look forward to some pictures. :) I used 'Steam Knight' heads from MaxMini for mine; I think they work quite well. I think the stock FW parts would work as well--I don't think all the Legion necessarily needs to have the crested helmets.

My blog (linked in my sig) might be of interest to you for ideas on parts--although there's a fair amount more stuff available now than when I started with them.

The Custodian
03-09-2010, 19:53
Aye, the maxmini heads are great, a nice thing also is that if you ask they will allow you to choose which heads you want from the five in your pack.
Also keep an eye on chapterhouse studios, apparently they may be coming out with some ph 1k sons stuff soon (shoulder pads for normal marines and termies...)

Dang I really should update my own log

Aflo
03-09-2010, 20:03
I've seen fantasy chaos warrior heads with the horns snipped off and little egyptian-esque details sculpted on the front used before. They really looked the part with the right colour scheme.

Khorneguy
03-09-2010, 20:11
@Alfo that was my initial thoughts, mixing in the GW 1k Sons heads and the chaos warriors one. Seems the cheapest option too, as I'm strapped for cash atm.

paspinall
03-09-2010, 22:40
Its just a shame that the Thousands sons is quite difficult to properly represent with a codex as they didnt really fight like any of the other legions.

Khorneguy
04-09-2010, 02:46
Its just a shame that the Thousands sons is quite difficult to properly represent with a codex as they didnt really fight like any of the other legions.

I've come up with the idea of using the SM or CSM codex and modelling squad leaders as psykers, then saying the equipment they have (eg. plasma pistols, melta bombs) is actually them using their powers, then saying their Heqa Staffs count as power weapons.

The same could be done with squad-based special and heavy weapons.

This is all assuming that I dont use the Thousand Sons unit entry to begin with, but I want to test what other options there are.

paspinall
04-09-2010, 09:08
Yeah I can see that but I mean thinks like the kine-shields and the like and the precog of the Corvidae etc.

Khorneguy
04-09-2010, 14:36
Yeah I can see that but I mean thinks like the kine-shields and the like and the precog of the Corvidae etc.

I see the kine shields as any kind of invunerable saves and things that let you re-roll stuff like warptime, etc could represent precog in a pinch. Alternately, if i use the marine codex, a 'counts as' Tigerius with his reserves bonus, could work for that.

ps. i'll get pics of my stuff soon, i promise