PDA

View Full Version : Holy flaming HoDA Batman!

macattack428
04-09-2010, 00:14
Ok, ok heres question.

If I stick a wood elf noble with Hail of Doom Arrow (enchanted item) into a unit of glade guard with the Banner of Eternal Flame, does the HoDA gain flaming attacks? IMO, RAW yes, RAI, possibly not... Have at it warseer!

theunwantedbeing
04-09-2010, 00:21
Works for both combat and shooting as per the special rules for flaming attacks.

So quite useful. Good for helping to remove troll armies that decide to deploy a core unit of trolls in the watchtower at least

macattack428
04-09-2010, 01:14
I agree, but a friend of mine is saying the last sentence in the flaming rule stating "blah blah blah spells and magic weapons cannot gain flaming" means the HoDA cant gain the flaming. I argue its not a magic weapon at all, its an enchanted item... This is were the question stems from.

Kevlar
04-09-2010, 01:22
If you guys have flaming hail of doom arrow then my skaven are using flaming doomrocket.

theunwantedbeing
04-09-2010, 01:25
It works as the hail of doom arrow isnt a magic weapon.

If you guys have flaming hail of doom arrow then my skaven are using flaming doomrocket.

The doomrocket is a magical weapon, so it won't work.

Trains_Get_Robbed
04-09-2010, 05:34
Kevlar is just being whiney.

As HoDA isn't a Magic Weapon, it can become flaming when use with BoEF like the being said.^^^

Kevlar
05-09-2010, 03:05
Kevlar is just being whiney.

As HoDA isn't a Magic Weapon, it can become flaming when use with BoEF like the being said.^^^

It says "Magic Arrow" right under the heading. Are you saying arrows aren't weapons?

Citadel97501
05-09-2010, 03:13
Yes, we are Kevlar, if its not a magic weapon, or the basic weapon isn't magical its not a magic weapon.

I personally don't like the idea of the flame banner not working for a lot of stuff. I would love to be able to have Strength 5 flaming attacks on my Chaos Knights, just so I can make the DE, and Skaven cry. . .

Balerion
05-09-2010, 05:40
It says "Magic Arrow" right under the heading. Are you saying arrows aren't weapons?
"Magic weapon" is a rules categorization, not a descriptive phrase. Wood Elf magic arrows are no more magic weapons than the Ruby Ring of Ruin is a magic weapon.

SkawtheFalconer
05-09-2010, 08:43
Precisely - the magic arrows are in the enchanted items section, not magic weapons section of the army book.

Methios
05-09-2010, 09:04
Yes i would say an arrow is not a waepon, its ammo.
If an arrow was a magical weapon that you could only carry one arrow.
Wouldnt give you a whole lota shots would it. :)

Anyways. you do not WIELD the arrow, you WIELD the bow.

theunwantedbeing
05-09-2010, 11:39
I'm curious as to what the big issue is about it all.
Flaming attacks don't exactly do a great deal to most targets, infact they do exactly nothing against a lot of things.

Firing into buildings or hitting things with regen or that are flammable?
But then you have the unit of glade guard with the banner who can shoot just as well with it every turn....

Casshole
05-09-2010, 13:47
Its good for killin Hydras and HPA- getting through regen more specifically.

macattack428
05-09-2010, 21:40
Yup yup, flaming is always nice to have in eighth imo. Most armys have something flaming helps against and the added building reroll is nifty too for watchtower scenarios. And its only 10 points... well worth it.

Tae
05-09-2010, 21:57
Yup yup, flaming is always nice to have in eighth imo. Most armys have something flaming helps against and the added building reroll is nifty too for watchtower scenarios. And its only 10 points... well worth it.

Yup, which makes things like the Dragonhelm and the Dragonbane Gem worth taking now as well.

Fall from grace
06-09-2010, 01:07

Yes, arrows are not weapons. Bows are weapons, arrows are ammunition.

Paraelix
06-09-2010, 11:30
Anyways. you do not WIELD the arrow, you WIELD the bow.

If you want to carry on about it... It is the arrows which hit things, not the Bow... So I would refute the abilities of said Magic Bow until you begin clobbering me over the head with it :)

Ethriel
07-09-2010, 04:02
Which is why the Wood Elf FAQ at one point stated that the shots fired from a magic bow do not count as Magical, only if you buy magic arrows. I think it was from the last FAQ so dont know if it's been carried over.

xragg
07-09-2010, 04:47
Which is why the Wood Elf FAQ at one point stated that the shots fired from a magic bow do not count as Magical, only if you buy magic arrows. I think it was from the last FAQ so dont know if it's been carried over.

True. Either shots from magic bows count as magical or the enchanted item arrows gain flaming (as per the example in the thread). You can't argue it one way, then ignore that same arguement to have something another way. I dont know if the 7th ed ruling holds any water now in 8th, but the logic makes sense.

Althwen
07-09-2010, 13:15
I'm inclined to believe it to be possible, however my interpretation of how GW intended it is that any magical effects on any one item will not allow a second magical effect on that same item... kind of like jealous runes for Dwarves.
However, this is my interpretation...