PDA

View Full Version : Rat Ogres or Hell Pit Abomination?

Exodus2013
04-09-2010, 03:07
So with what I'll get out of the IoB boxes I should end up with 6 rat ogres and a unit of them with 3 pack masters is around 264 points. A hell pit abom is about 235. I was thinking of converting the rat ogres into 1-2 hpa's if its worth it. What's better for flanking?? What's more worth it in general?

vorthain
04-09-2010, 03:38
Six rat ogres form a pretty good shooting target and is more easily neutralised than the HPA. The speed and power of the HPA probably make it a better flanker, though I guess is also a nice big target. However, it can regenerate and is more difficult to wound. A 2-4 rat ogres and 1 HPA might be a good combo.

Dead Man Walking
04-09-2010, 03:42
Seriously? This is even a decision? Have you not heard all the howling complaints about the hell pit abomination? Seriously if people complain that much it must be OP. Do you know whats better than a Hell Pit Abomination? TWO HELLPIT ABOMINATIONS!

Theres also this rule that states if a model has random movement then the charged unit can only stand, they can not flee or stand and shoot.

Exodus2013
04-09-2010, 05:59
Theres also this rule that states if a model has random movement then the charged unit can only stand, they can not flee or stand and shoot.

Very good point I had not thought about that.

Djekar
04-09-2010, 07:27
The Hellpit is very strong, and given a choice, I would chose it. The Rat Ogres are great, especially with Skweel but ultimately if you are only gunning for efficiency, I'd take the Beast from the East.

Oglog
04-09-2010, 07:28

also worth noting, as the HPA didn't count as declaring a charge in the declare charges phase (instead in moves in the random movement phase) the unit it 'charges' (hits) does not take pshycology tests (i.e. terror), just fear in combat (i think)

russellmoo
04-09-2010, 07:30
If you really have to choose go with an HPA, however, I wouldn't be too hasty at this point to convert an HPA- there might be a model coming in six months or so. That's what I've heard anyway.

Exodus2013
04-09-2010, 14:43
If you really have to choose go with an HPA, however, I wouldn't be too hasty at this point to convert an HPA- there might be a model coming in six months or so. That's what I've heard anyway.

6 months is a long time to not have a hpa though!

ARabidNun
04-09-2010, 22:05
I have never played with or against the Skaven current rules but witnessed a tournament today where the HPA actually destroyed nearly twice its points in less than 2 turns solo!!

The key of course is choosing your targets and knowing its weaknesses such as fire attacks. Its just wrong how powerful it is, and unlike the steam tank (which is a nightmare in itself) the HPA can not be easily killed with a few good shots from warmachines.

Convert up an abomination, I mean you really can't make a bad one.... Its an abomination after all, grab those bits and glue them together.

-Rabid

macdaddy_o
04-09-2010, 22:21
If you wasn't a themed army our are trying to go for a soft list, take the rat ogres. If you want a hard list or want to win regularly, take the HPA. Against all but 2 armies it will clean up. And even against those two it souks still do well. Take 2 if you want to lose friends...

Kevlar
04-09-2010, 22:32
It isn't that the hell pit is better than six or so ogres, it just packs more power in 1/6 the base size for half the cost.

I mean of you reeeaaaally want to call that better I guess you could... :)

Exodus2013
05-09-2010, 15:07
If you wasn't a themed army our are trying to go for a soft list, take the rat ogres. If you want a hard list or want to win regularly, take the HPA. Against all but 2 armies it will clean up. And even against those two it souks still do well. Take 2 if you want to lose friends...

Haha ya 1 is company but 2 is crowded