PDA

View Full Version : Help! A grave problem arises

Finarflin
04-09-2010, 10:54
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Also sorry for the wall of text.

Think of all the problems that may arise in one battle and condense them into one situation and you have what has happened here:

In a 3-way battle that I am currently having I tooled up a DE dread-lord with: Lance, H. armor, Sea dragon cloak, Black Amulet, Potion of strength and finally charmed shield. He is mounted on a Dark Pegasus. I was under the impression that the potion of strength could be drunk at the start of any player_ turn, making this simply a cheaper version of the DE potion of strength. My list was hastily constructed and had to be changed in deployment when i realized I had spent to much in heroes.

On turn 2 I charged a unit of hammerers with the dwarf general (Lord on shield-bearers with 6 S6 attacks and a 1+ re-rollable armor-save), who declared a challenge. I accepted (as I have to) and used the potion thinking I could use it now. My DL caused 2 wounds, my pegasus caused none, his shield-bearers did not wound, his dwarf lord hit once which was discounted by the charmed shield (which he decided to do before his shield-bearers). Pegasus stomp attack kills Dwarf Lord. To be honest his rolling was appalling.

Skaven turn begins and just before the combat phase I realize the shield only saves 2+. We decide just to roll then and there, and I save it. Then the dwarf player checks the rules for the Potion of Strength, and it says it must be used at the start of any player's turn. Also we never worked out combat rez: I would have won but the Dwarves are stubborn and in range of the BSB so it is unlikely to have done anything.

If you have not understood a word, I really don't blame you, this is a mess. I have tried to include all the information that might be needed.

We decided to stop there and reconvene today/tomorrow to work out what to do and then continue the battle.

A few ideas of what we could do:
1. Continue and ignore this horrible mess (VERY UNLIKELY)
2. Do the challenge DL against champion
3. Not use the potion and do the challenge against Dwarf lord
4. Remove charmed shield and say it was DE potion, letting the Dwarf make the one attack that hit (VERY UNLIKELY)
5. RE do the combat with the DE potion (UNLIKELY)

Please help, any suggestions are very welcome.

Gazak Blacktoof
04-09-2010, 12:37
Frankly I'd either leave it (1) and treat it as a learning experience or re-run the dark elf lord's part of the combat without it (3).

I've got this same potion on one of my heroes and I keep kicking myself when I get to the combat phase and think, "I know I'll drink that potion now. Doh!"

Rikkjourd
04-09-2010, 12:44
Here are a few guidelines that our gaming group tries to play by:

1. If a player forgets something that would have benefited him (like using a magic item for example) he may not go back and redo it unless his opponent wants to.

2. If a player forgets something that would have a negative effect on his army (like a stupidity test) he must go back and redo it unless his opponent don't want him to.

3. If a player forgets something beneficial and his opponent lets him go back and redo it (like forgetting to move a unit, and remembers when the magic phase is started), he will "owe" his opponent one redo of similar magnitude.

4. All of this can be subject to change due to agreements before battle and/or the experience of the player. For example, if we want to be strict we just declare "when a phase is over, it's over" and there will be no going back, while a new guy might get some slack.

rodmillard
04-09-2010, 12:51
Assuming you can "undo" the skaven player's moves, magic, and shooting (difficult I know) I would go back to the point at which you messed up and see what happens.

Failing that, put the dwarf lord back in his unit and run the challenge as it should have been in the next combat phase and take it from there.

Finarflin
04-09-2010, 12:54
Thank you both for your replies.

@Gazak: Knowing my opponent I'm afraid (1) will be out of the question. I think I will try and push forward your version of (3), as it seems very sensible.

Had I known I could not drink it once in a challenge I would certainly have dropped the magic shield and gone for the DE version instead. Ah well, I will know for next time.

@Rikkjourd: Those rules seem very reasonable, and i will try and get my fellow players to agree on something similar next time we meet

sorry rodmillard, I was writing this message when you posted.
The skaven player's turn fortunately did not happen anywhere near this combat, and so we can keep that as it is. I think I will take the "as it should have been" as I redo the combat without the use of the potion.

Rochr
04-09-2010, 13:08
I would put the Dwarf Lord back with 1 wound and then remove the Potion.

Finarflin
04-09-2010, 13:51
@Rochr: Ok, this is an interesting response that I was not anticipating. I think I will suggest this, but I highly doubt that it will be accepted.

Oglog
04-09-2010, 14:04
A few ideas of what we could do:
1. Continue and ignore this horrible mess (VERY UNLIKELY)
2. Do the challenge DL against champion
3. Not use the potion and do the challenge against Dwarf lord
4. Remove charmed shield and say it was DE potion, letting the Dwarf make the one attack that hit (VERY UNLIKELY)
5. RE do the combat with the DE potion (UNLIKELY)

Please help, any suggestions are very welcome.

6. Punch the stupid neighbours in the face.:D

SilentCivilian
04-09-2010, 14:20
You say the dwarf player is very unlikely to go with option 1. Is he that bad a loser? Take it as a learning experience and know better for next time. No point crying over spilt milk as the saying goes. Its done, so move on and just enjoy the rest of the game. From what you have said the Dwarf player only seemed to bother looking up the rules after his general had died. If it bothered him that much he could have asked for 2 minutes to look up the rules and asked for it to be played correctly then. In my group if a mistake is made we carry on and are careful it does not happen again. I have played 2 turns without taking the old unruly checks with my beasts as i genuinly forgot about it. I had not used them for a while at that point. We did not try and reset the game over it. If you made this mistake after playing with the same list for 12 months then yes i would call you on it but chill out. Its just a game after all. Have some fun and learn.

Finarflin
04-09-2010, 18:55
Thank you for all your replies. In the end I redid my 4 attacks at S6 and the dwarf lord continued his 1 attack. In the end, after 2-3 rounds of combat the dwarf lord killed my lord, but also killed himself because of the Black Amulet :D.

In the end the skaven player won enormously (the dwarf player and I took each other out of the game).

Oglog
04-09-2010, 21:06
In the end the skaven player won enormously

well, no surprises there.